Are you putting any pressure on the Chiefs this year?

Is there pressure on the Chiefs to do anything this year?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are you putting any pressure on the Chiefs to win this year? I'm not sure, I voted No to get it started because there really shouldn't be any pressure to win on these guys. I mean sure, we all want them to go 19-0 winning the Super Bowl, but I just don't want Mahomes' development to be ruined by impatient fans and media who can't live with developing a QB. You know this will happen and the irony is it's the same media and fan base begging the Chiefs to draft a QB since the early 90's. I think Mahomes can come in and at minimum, put up Alex Smith numbers. The biggest problem with this year's team is the defense and all the turnover on personnel. Even if this year's defense is as awful as the 2004 team, does it really matter? I'm not so sure. They have a 1st and 2 2nd round picks plus a ton of cap space available in 2019.

• Yes
    • NO

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/2018 at 05:59 AM

I want to see Pat get experience. Hoping the Oline develops. Most of all I want to see what keepers we have on D. I don’t have any expectations on wins or a run. Think we have a shot at 11-5 or 12-4 but not a SB. It depends on the D, but we have building to do on the line and at every D position group except ILB. I am good with Hitch and Rags. 

I’m not that concerned about our record  but I do have expectations of Mahomes, the offense in general and certain pieces of the defense emerging.  If these things happen I think we will be at least in the playoff discussion in December.  I do not believe this organization sees this as a rebuilding year as much as the fans. But we need another surge of talent on defense no matter what. And it’s just unreasonable to ask a 22 year old to guide a team to postseason with a shaky defense. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen at all.  But understandable if it doesn’t. 

13 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Yes, you always put pressure on them. If you give them a pass for one reason then someone else can give them a pass for another reason and so on and so forth. 

I agree with you from an organizational standpoint.  And everything Andy has said all offseason says they are embracing expectations of remaining a playoff team. 

But from a pragmatic standpoint as a fan there’s no reason we can’t be realistic and have lower expectations short term while still very excited about the overall future. 

No pressure to win here.  They could get off to a very rough start with a brutal first six games and be pretty much out of playoff contention all season.  They could get a few breaks like the first five games last year and have a very interesting year.  I'm guessing about 8-8 plus or minus one.  What I'd really hate to see happen is for the fans to get down on the team while they transition to a young QB and rebuild the defense.  The Mahomes draft was needed, but some fans seems to act as if that guarantees a super bowl run instantly.  They just aren't being realistic.   Lots of HOF QBs got off to rocky starts and there's no certainty that Mahomes will ever reach that level.

10 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

But from a pragmatic standpoint as a fan there’s no reason we can’t be realistic and have lower expectations short term while still very excited about the overall future. 

If we're being realistic, they will never win another SB. The odds are 1-32 of win a SB and since their last SB they have never shown that they can win a SB.

But as fans we don't want to believe that. 

3 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

If we're being realistic, they will never win another SB. The odds are 1-32 of win a SB and since their last SB they have never shown that they can win a SB.

But as fans we don't want to believe that. 

I don’t buy into that. This isn’t roulette. Our playoff failures can be tied to one fundamental organizational philosophy error that we changed when drafted Mahomes.  The January upside of a team with an elite QB talent is undeniable as is the likely learning curve to get there.  

34 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I don’t buy into that. This isn’t roulette. Our playoff failures can be tied to one fundamental organizational philosophy error that we changed when drafted Mahomes.  The January upside of a team with an elite QB talent is undeniable as is the likely learning curve to get there.  

There's my issue.  The assumption that Mahomes is an elite QB.  He may become one, but remember, smarter football people than us had him the third ranked QB in last year's draft.  Every fan base likes to think the new kid on the block is the answer to years of frustration.  31 out of 32 will fail each year.

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

There's my issue.  The assumption that Mahomes is an elite QB.  He may become one, but remember, smarter football people than us had him the third ranked QB in last year's draft.  Every fan base likes to think the new kid on the block is the answer to years of frustration.  31 out of 32 will fail each year.

My point here isn’t to guarantee Mahomes will become elite because while many of us are very optimistic, only time will tell. 

But rather I believe strongly that drafting him was a organizational recognition they need to legitimately try to become elite at a position we haven’t been in almost fifty years.  A true game changer for us when you look at how we’ve handled this position for three decades despite having some really good teams. 

Likewise as it applies to immediate expectation I understand that there’s a process to actually doing this that won’t always be easy.  We’ve got to have the stomach for the process in order to see the potential rewards.  And if this particular player doesn’t end up working, not be afraid to try again.

in short drafting Mahomes and trading away Alex changed everything the way I see it.  They now get it and as such our chances to hoist the Lombardi just went way up. 

He has the weapons. The only thing that will hold him back, is if our oline that is made up of swinging gates, allows him to be pummeled over and over every game. Then, he may never develop into an elite quarterback.  Andrew Luck is a prime example.

Best reason to be optimistic is that by the time Mahomes becomes the best that he'll ever be, the defense should also be rebuilt.  Houston, Berry, and Bailey may be gone before then, but there's a little time to find their replacements if they're not already on the bench.  The O-line bothers me the most.  It takes a few years to find the right people and even more to get them in sync.  Two or three years will tell us if the Chiefs have gotten the rare combination of wise decisions and luck.  .

I think it's simpler than that.  If Mahomes turns out to be elite (and I'm not saying he is), then the window is always open.  Big Ben, Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Elway, Montana, Favre...These guys win always and are always a threat to win it all.  And I don't believe that over that long of careers, they always were surrounded by more talent than everyone else.  QB is just that important, even in what is clearly a team game.     

12 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I think it's simpler than that.  If Mahomes turns out to be elite (and I'm not saying he is), then the window is always open.  Big Ben, Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Elway, Montana, Favre...These guys win always and are always a threat to win it all.  And I don't believe that over that long of careers, they always were surrounded by more talent than everyone else.  QB is just that important, even in what is clearly a team game.     

Exactly right. What elite QBs do more than anything else in my opinion is give a team more margin for error. You just won't be derailed as fast with injuries with a great QB. And he elevates the play of those around him so you don't necessarily need as much overall talent period.  Plus having the value of having the ball in the hands of an elite player on every single snap can't be understated.  

You can't really dial up pressure on guys like Manning because he will kill you to death, so it makes protection easier.  It makes the running game better if you have to have so much respect for the passing game.  They keep the defense off the field.  There's just so many reasons they elevate play around them. 

Yesterday's game was exactly what I was referring to in that the defense is so bad it may not matter how fast or slow Mahomes develops this year.

Mahomes looks more than capable to me but this defense is awful.

Archived