Greg Robinson v2.0

Pretty sure we looked at the personnel and said, ouch. Should not be a surprise that the D sucks.

Thin and injured at CB, Safety and Dline. It is not really a surprise. But Speaks and Kpass are coming on. Get Rags and Hitch in game shape. Get Berry back. Maybe average is a possibility. There is no DC on the planet going to make them dominant. Give them time to develop and maybe 2019 we could OK. 

Firing Sutton right now does nothing to improve this D. It only hurts.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think our offense is going to be fine. When they start clicking they are gonna be dangerous, and they arent far off. 

Our defense though, specifically the secondary...is a fucking shit show. 

I like the potential and maybe even depth of the front seven to develop into a solid group as the season progresses. The secondary after Fuller, Berry and Nelson is a disaster. Just not enough ammo for Veach to fix it last offseason and so far the one year types have been horrific.  In short those three guys above better play a lot of snaps if we want to have any chance to compete for a third straight division title. Or even be around the conversation in December.  Silver lining is if we aren’t it will be easier to fix secondary.  

21 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I don't think running a scheme is going to suddenly keep Amerson from being burnt like toast.  I think they have a really good #2 kind of guy in Amerson, but they're gonna have to spend some actual capital to find a 1.  They ain't got one right now.

Fuller? 

I know its only preseason....but simple things like tackling and maintaining gap security is just not happening and I'm wondering why? Fundamental football is not vanilla football. This defense looks bad. As someone stated 4-12 bad. Mahomes and the offense may be able to salvage a game or two with offensive output but 7-9 would not shock me based on what I am seeing. Not calling for Sutton to be fired but not a fan of his defensive style.

3 hours ago, dksww said:

Pretty disappointing effort out of the defense and way too many penalties on both sides of the ball.

The offense looks fine to me but the defense looks like it's 4-12 bad.

This.  Scary thing is that the offense looks bad too because of the O line.  Might be a rough year and we should all be prepared.

In the DV years we had a terrible D carried to the playoffs by the O. Before last year we had a terrible O carried to the playoffs by the D. 

Those things are opposite. 

Points allowed:

DV teams were 19, 23, 28, 29, 16

AR teams have been 5, 2, 3, 7, 15

To say that is the same thing sounds a little crazy to me.

I always figured retooling this D would be a two year project. They concentrated on the front seven in this year's draft(smart move IMO), and I'm sure that unless these young guys really step it up they'll be doing the same with the secondary next year's draft. Isn't next year supposed to be a good one for CBs?

16 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Just think...we coulda kept Peters, done without signing Watkins, and used that Watkins money to sign a top tier Safety and an above average d-lineman...

Remember last year in the playoffs? Kelce  went down and their passing game went into the shitter. They needed another weapon and went out and got one. A Dlineman or a safety wouldn't have helped. Give Watkins a chance to learn the offense before crucifying him.

Well actually since Chris Jones went down another DLmight not have hurt, but with Dorsey screwing the pooch with the salary cap they couldn't fix everything this year.

It's way too early to start criticizing and hypothesizing on which moves should've been made.  Peters was a train wreck and they wanted him out of the clubhouse.  I can't fault them for that.  When it came down to it, all he was worth was a 2nd and 4th because of his attitude.  

The real question is what do we root for?  The defense to be good?  If so, you know Bob Sutton is going to be kept here going forward and I don't trust Bob Sutton at all.

I'm almost to the point of just hoping the defense sucks all year so we can cut bait and move on, hiring a top DC or some up and coming Asst. DC on a top defense now.

I just don't want to get my hopes up with a good defensive turnaround and then to have Sutton completely collapse in the playoffs at anytime in the future.

11 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

This.  Scary thing is that the offense looks bad too because of the O line.  Might be a rough year and we should all be prepared.

Is 4-12 really all that bad?  It for sure gets Sutton fired.  They would for sure keep focusing on the defense and we would be a lock for a top 5 pick armed with a 1st and 2 2nd rounders for next year.  

No matter what happens this year with the defense, just keep doing what you need to do to run a normal offense and develop Mahomes properly.  If the defense has given up like 24 first half points and it's a 24-10 halftime deficit, I don't wanna see the Chiefs throw every down and put Mahomes in a bad spot this year.  Just take the L and draft positioning.

1 hour ago, tges58 said:

I always figured retooling this D would be a two year project. They concentrated on the front seven in this year's draft(smart move IMO), and I'm sure that unless these young guys really step it up they'll be doing the same with the secondary next year's draft. Isn't next year supposed to be a good one for CBs?

This. Veach didn’t rush this by signing players we didn’t want to be tied to for years.  He knows the secondary needs help and with likely three picks in the top 50 next year he can do it the right way. There’s a ton of young guys in that group now already too that just need seasoning.  

Archived