Greg Robinson v2.0

19 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Fuller is that really good #2 guy, yes.

19 hours ago, Calichief said:

Thought that’s what you meant.

agreed.

I don't know.  So far Fuller looks like that guy you can put on the best receiver regardless of where he lines up, including the slot, and he'll show well.

That sounds like a 1 to me.  He's already shown more versatility than any corner we've had in... how long?  It's been a long time. 

If he has a good season we should lock him down to an extension early.

35 minutes ago, xen said:

I don't know.  So far Fuller looks like that guy you can put on the best receiver regardless of where he lines up, including the slot, and he'll show well.

That sounds like a 1 to me.  He's already shown more versatility than any corner we've had in... how long?  It's been a long time. 

I like my #1 corners to be more aggressive with attacking the ball and generating turnovers, where Peters really excelled.  Fuller is tight on coverage and really limits the YAC, which is great too and yeah they need to give him an extension if he logs a good year.

2 hours ago, dksww said:

It's way too early to start criticizing and hypothesizing on which moves should've been made.  Peters was a train wreck and they wanted him out of the clubhouse.  I can't fault them for that.  When it came down to it, all he was worth was a 2nd and 4th because of his attitude.  

The real question is what do we root for?  The defense to be good?  If so, you know Bob Sutton is going to be kept here going forward and I don't trust Bob Sutton at all.

I'm almost to the point of just hoping the defense sucks all year so we can cut bait and move on, hiring a top DC or some up and coming Asst. DC on a top defense now.

I just don't want to get my hopes up with a good defensive turnaround and then to have Sutton completely collapse in the playoffs at anytime in the future.

I hope the Rams fall off the face of the earth this year so our 2nd from them is higher. I know they are good but an injury here or there and mismatching attitudes could cause trouble.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

I like my #1 corners to be more aggressive with attacking the ball and generating turnovers, where Peters really excelled.  Fuller is tight on coverage and really limits the YAC, which is great too and yeah they need to give him an extension if he logs a good year.

True.  If we can find a guy like that to just lock on the X receiver that makes Fuller even more of a weapon as he's freed up to prevent some of the matchups issues we'll undoubtedly see this year.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:27 PM, SEMO said:

It's all vanilla in the preseason.  If they look like this after week 1, then I'll worry.

Exactly. 

Everything is being held close to the vest in preseason, which is just practice. 

If this is what the D looks like in week one, I'll join the apocalypse chorus. 

20 hours ago, xen said:

That would be ideal except Sutton will play him 10 yards off of the #3 receiver consistently....

18 hours ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Exactly. 

Everything is being held close to the vest in preseason, which is just practice. 

If this is what the D looks like in week one, I'll join the apocalypse chorus. 

We are also missing 75 percent of our starting secondary on a unit where we know we had basically no depth. If the core of that group doesn't play most of the snaps this year, we are in obvious trouble. Good news is that it actually looks like we may have some real depth developing in the front seven as the young guys mature at OLB and NT. 

25 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I hate our scheme. Nothing is fun to watch with it and players don’t execute. But it probably fits Andy’s mold of play not to lose. Bend but don’t break. I suspect we will be broken a lot.

This same scheme created the most turnovers, TDs and top 5 most sacks over a three year period from 2013-2015. We were in short the number one playmaking defense in the NFL Sutton's first three years here. It's amazing how the scheme becomes the culprit as the talent that runs it deteriorates. 

Heck we even saw what happened on Saturday when he tried to blitz. Same thing as last season in the Oakland game when we got torched. You just don't have flexibility when your secondary can't cover. I'm all in with Suttons job being on the line this year but its foolhardy to scapegoat scheme for issues that are at least as much personnel related in my opinion. Just the easy way out. That said I'd prefer to replace Sutton and  if Steve Spagnuola is our defensive coordinator next year I will not complain. 

31 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I agree with Thegoatee.  It does suck to watch, even when it works.  It seems like the plan is to give them as many chances as humanly possible to fumble the snap.  It seems like a poor choice for a stadium that has the crowd participation of arrowhead. 

We have to have a defense that can get to the QB to take advantage of Arrowhead. No doubt about it. 

We also played some terrible QBs during at least one of those years. Didn’t we have a stretch against 7 straight backup QBs, let alone, at least one third stringer? 

The only years they stood out to me was Alex Smith’s first year when the offense was terrible and 2015.

Paying Justin Houston a ton of money for no sacks and busting on Dee Ford lost us big. Both on cap space to improve overall and any time a 1st round pick busts it hurts.  I still hate the soft coverage 3-4 where the dline is supposed to consume blockers for the linebackers to then make plays. Nothing about the defense screams anything but finesse. When was the last time we just smashed someone?

38 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

We also played some terrible QBs during at least one of those years. Didn’t we have a stretch against 7 straight backup QBs, let alone, at least one third stringer? 

The only years they stood out to me was Alex Smith’s first year when the offense was terrible and 2015.

Paying Justin Houston a ton of money for no sacks and busting on Dee Ford lost us big. Both on cap space to improve overall and any time a 1st round pick busts it hurts.  I still hate the soft coverage 3-4 where the dline is supposed to consume blockers for the linebackers to then make plays. Nothing about the defense screams anything but finesse. When was the last time we just smashed someone?

Houston is a really good player. So while he's overpaid, I don't see him as a problem. It's the fact the past two years we were paying Tamba a ton of money to accumulate 3 total sacks and miss nearly every game. And Dee Ford only having one year of productivity has not helped. Speaks and Tanoh finally give us a new wave of pass rushers long past due. Now we just need a few guys like that in the secondary as well.  And I'm in for a new D coordinator but I just think most importantly we need to see some of these young guys develop so that he would have something to work with. I just believe Sutton wants to run an attacking Rex Ryan type defense but cannot. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

This same scheme created the most turnovers, TDs and top 5 most sacks over a three year period from 2013-2015. We were in short the number one playmaking defense in the NFL Sutton's first three years here. It's amazing how the scheme becomes the culprit as the talent that runs it deteriorates. 

Heck we even saw what happened on Saturday when he tried to blitz. Same thing as last season in the Oakland game when we got torched. You just don't have flexibility when your secondary can't cover. I'm all in with Suttons job being on the line this year but its foolhardy to scapegoat scheme for issues that are at least as much personnel related in my opinion. Just the easy way out. That said I'd prefer to replace Sutton and  if Steve Spagnuola is our defensive coordinator next year I will not complain. 

So the Chiefs decide to part ways with their best defensive playmaker - Marcus Peters.  Makes sense.  

1 hour ago, CHiefSP said:

So the Chiefs decide to part ways with their best defensive playmaker - Marcus Peters.  Makes sense.  

It makes total sense in a team game to get rid of a growing cancer before he can infect other players around him. Did you notice last season we played our best defensive game of the season when he was suspended? We will absolutely miss his talent, but Veach got a comparable talent in Fuller that comes without the attitude to replace him.

Bottom line is we pulled the band aid off a bad situation at a time when the team was in transition anyway. And it stings at first but for a team in this thing for the long haul now this plan does indeed make sense. 

On 8/25/2018 at 2:40 PM, CHiefSP said:

The defense is atrocious and can’t stop anyone.  For those who think we shouldn’t be worried, when should we be?  Sad thing is that the offense looks shitty too because the O line is a disaster.  

What, me worry?

Peters lacked effort and attitude last year. There had to be more stuff behind the scenes in the locker room and front office too. I imagine Clark Hunt doesn’t like the fist raising / kneeling coupled with all that (as did a lot of fans, right or wrong). Peters probably wanted to go back to LA and not resign, so they got what they could. If there was zero chance of keeping him without making him the highest paid CB, they made the right business decision on that alone.

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

Peters lacked effort and attitude last year. There had to be more stuff behind the scenes in the locker room and front office too. I imagine Clark Hunt doesn’t like the fist raising / kneeling coupled with all that (as did a lot of fans, right or wrong). Peters probably wanted to go back to LA and not resign, so they got what they could. If there was zero chance of keeping him without making him the highest paid CB, they made the right business decision on that alone.

There's no way of knowing everything that went on in the locker room, but here's a guess.  Peters was a distraction that was going to be gone after the 2018 season.  The Chiefs are rebuilding and won't win the SB this year so why not rid themselves of a salary cap eater and reload during the rebuilding year?  If the organization is pointing to 2020, Peters wasn't going to be part of it and they might as well get something for him.

Archived