Reid on David Amerson

Andy Reid on whether he's concerned about the play of cornerback David Amerson, who allowed a couple of big passes against the Bears, following the pattern from the first two preseason games: “I'm not. But you've got to tighten it up a little bit. You've got to do better than what we did today. He's a willing worker. He'll get back and do that. I've seen him do better. He's just got to pick that up. Again, he's one of the new guys and the more he plays and sees these things and what he can kind of get away with . . . we're asking him to play man coverage. That's where he's getting in trouble there. He's got to learn the angles and routes that teams are using. This is all valuable for him.''

Reid is delusional.  This guy is gonna kill us all year.

I think they know that this, but you can’t say that.

”Amerson looks like dig shit out there. I wish we could bench him but the other guys, with the exception of Fuller, suck even worse than Amerson. Holy shit we are going to give up a lot of points. Be sure to draft a fantasy QB that faces us twice a year because it is going to be a shit show.”

You were expecting a quote something like that?

11 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

Andy Reid on whether he's concerned about the play of cornerback David Amerson, who allowed a couple of big passes against the Bears, following the pattern from the first two preseason games: “I'm not. But you've got to tighten it up a little bit. You've got to do better than what we did today. He's a willing worker. He'll get back and do that. I've seen him do better. He's just got to pick that up. Again, he's one of the new guys and the more he plays and sees these things and what he can kind of get away with . . . we're asking him to play man coverage. That's where he's getting in trouble there. He's got to learn the angles and routes that teams are using. This is all valuable for him.''

Wow, I have never seen anyone get so worked up over a freaking preseason game.

Relax, you'll live longer

well hopefully veach can pull a rabbit out of the hat because yeah, Amerson has had some breakdowns.  Hes also had some good coverage though... they just don't highlight that part on the broadcast cause the ball didn't go his way.  We'll see on Amerson.  I have low expectations for him.  Really like some of the young uns at corner though.  Tremon Smith and Springs can both play.

Wouldn't it make sense to play Tremon Smith and let him learn than to stick with a CB who wasn't good in OAK?  We waited years for Bartee to learn to play CB and it never happened.  Why would it be different with Amerson?  At least Smith and Springs might hve upside.  Let's hope Smith lights it up against Green Bay and forces Reid to play him.

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Wouldn't it make sense to play Tremon Smith and let him learn than to stick with a CB who wasn't good in OAK?  We waited years for Bartee to learn to play CB and it never happened.  Why would it be different with Amerson?  At least Smith and Springs might hve upside.  Let's hope Smith lights it up against Green Bay and forces Reid to play him.

I guess they're wanting to bring them on slowly.  Not sure why other than Sutton not trusting rookies to save his job.  I say throw those 2 in the deep end and see what they're made of.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Exactly.  Amerson was a CB/S hybrid coming out of NC State.  I actually liked him as a safety and mocked him to us a couple of times.  

He reminds me a lot of Parker.  Will do a solid job at safety and struggle at corner.

3 hours ago, xen said:

I guess they're wanting to bring them on slowly.  Not sure why other than Sutton not trusting rookies to save his job.  I say throw those 2 in the deep end and see what they're made of.

Baloney!  Flowers and Carr both played as rookies and didn't stink up the place very often.  Rookies can play if they have the talent and temperment and we know what Amerson is.  Maybe they'll get by with Nelson and Shanderick along with Fuller, but mixing in the rooks has no down side that I can see.

These guys have been playing football most of their lives. Should be able to cover a receiver by now regardless of the system. You either can or simply can not. Give the young guys a chance. Why waste a couple more seasons of the rookie deals?

We all know certain things about Andy Reid. He will never speak badly of a player. Every player he coaches is a "smart kid" and a "hard worker".  Just like every opponent we face is "a good football team." Even if that team is 1-12! It's just his way. Don't expect it will ever change.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:43 PM, CHiefSP said:

I don't get what is delusional, he's saying the guy has to get better and cited specific examples.  What do you want him to do, cut him and fart out a CB who will be better than him?  

50 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

I don't get what is delusional, he's saying the guy has to get better and cited specific examples.  What do you want him to do, cut him and fart out a CB who will be better than him?  

Him saying he’s not concerned is delusional thinking...albeit in coach speak.  Amerson is bad at football.

11 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

Him saying he’s not concerned is delusional thinking...albeit in coach speak.  Amerson is bad at football.

The preseason is all about drama.  All you can do is fret about players and coaches, and none of it matters.

i fall for it too — a self-condoned sucker — but do you really think Reid is going to lead a 4-12 team?  The guy’s a hall of fame coach, he’ll have the team in position to win week in/week out.  Maybe this isn’t a SB season (who could know?) but the Chiefs are as well positioned to be a consistently good team as they’ve been since the 90s.  Relax and enjoy the ride.

7 minutes ago, Marleydawg said:

The preseason is all about drama.  All you can do is fret about players and coaches, and none of it matters.

i fall for it too — a self-condoned sucker — but do you really think Reid is going to lead a 4-12 team?  The guy’s a hall of fame coach, he’ll have the team in position to win week in/week out.  Maybe this isn’t a SB season (who could know?) but the Chiefs are as well positioned to be a consistently good team as they’ve been since the 90s.  Relax and enjoy the ride.

This KC team could be like the Manning Colts. All offense.

3 hours ago, dksww said:

lol at fans that want Reid to share his exact thoughts and criticize the guy for not throwing players directly under the bus.

Yep.  Just naively ignorant not to realize what the media gets is almost always a watered down version of what’s really being discussed in house.  

9 hours ago, dksww said:

lol at fans that want Reid to share his exact thoughts and criticize the guy for not throwing players directly under the bus.

Unfortunately we have a guy here who has brought his constant negativity from the scout site. His sky is always falling

4 minutes ago, Crazychief said:

Unfortunately we have a guy here who has brought his constant negativity from the scout site. His sky is always falling

Aw shucks man.  It sucks to have different opinions than others on a message board. If you or anyone else has an issue with my comments, the ignore button is available.  

2 hours ago, dksww said:

Can't really blame any Chiefs' fan for not have a positive outlook.  We've been through a ton of shit as football fans. 

Yep, we've been through five seasons in a row of winning football, two division championships, and a playoff win.  Okay, there's the bad injuries and bad coaching and bad calls in some playoff games, but unless you've been a Chiefs fan in the 1970s, you haven't lived through the dark times.

36 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yep, we've been through five seasons in a row of winning football, two division championships, and a playoff win.  Okay, there's the bad injuries and bad coaching and bad calls in some playoff games, but unless you've been a Chiefs fan in the 1970s, you haven't lived through the dark times.

AMEN!

I was a Chiefs fan in the 70's.  I remember every day we woke up and had to eat poison for breakfast.  Then we walked 10 miles to school in the pouring down rain with snakes all around.  And big hairy spiders.  We kept a baked potato in our pockets to keep our hands warm and then that's what we had for lunch.  The teachers beat us mercilessly and we were forced to do lots of manual labor.  Several of my class died working on the first grade chain gang building bridges.  I'll never forget the smell of those burning little bodies.    Those were dark days indeed. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I disagree, they may have been awful football teams, but most of my memories of football growing up were the Chiefs getting kicked in the nuts in every playoff game, then total suckage for about 15 years and now back to more kicks to the nuts in the playoffs.

I'll take 15 years of total suckage vs the agony of our playoff losses any day. 

It's not just losing the playoff game either.  It's the way they lose.  I get it, everyone's team has lost in the playoffs on a last second TD or FG, but nobody loses the way the Chiefs do:  Penalties, awful officiating and fluke plays that ruin our dream seasons.

Archived