Whens the last time we had TWO good corners?

The thing about Peters is he had great value as a guy who could create turnovers. Forcing the other team into turning the ball over has many benefits. It takes away a scoring opportunity. It gives the Chiefs offense 1 more scoring opportunity. And it tends to have a deflating affect on the other team. I valued Peters much more for turning the ball over vs. being a shutdown cover guy. Plus Peters was atrocious as a tackler. He'd rather try to strip the ball then nail a guy to the ground.

That having been said...remains to be seen what all Fuller brings to the table. I agree with the notion though that we were 28th in the league in defense last year. Losing Peters is gonna do what?

I think Mitchell and Revis played RCB.  Nelson was mostly covering the slot receiver.  Flowers and Carr weren't too bad for a while and even Sean Smith had a few good moments.  Have to go back to Emmet Smith and Albert Lewis for the better corners.  Who was the freakish talent they drafted #1 in the mid 1990s?  Oh, yeah.  Dale Carter.  Along with Collins, Hasty, and Tounge, they had a pretty good defensive backfield.  Didn't hurt that Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas were putting on the pressure.  

8 minutes ago, Chiefswinitall said:

We are 28th because of projects and  fringe retirement  guys who can't stay healthy.

So losing Peters and sticking in someone like Fuller won't be a deciding factor. The single biggest issue I have is lack of a pass rush. Our secondary would look a whole lot better in our eyes if we could pressure the quarterback. Chiefs look like a bottom fiver in that category unless something changes.

9 hours ago, dhitter said:

So losing Peters and sticking in someone like Fuller won't be a deciding factor. The single biggest issue I have is lack of a pass rush. Our secondary would look a whole lot better in our eyes if we could pressure the quarterback. Chiefs look like a bottom fiver in that category unless something changes.

Yup, this doesn't help any.  If we get no production out of Ford then teams will take out Houston in double teams and we might as well be playing 11 on 7....

Our defense in general hasn’t been consistently good since Marty. Carter and Hasty plus a pass rush. Too bad those years were wasted with 49er backup QBs. Flowers and Carr for maybe one year. Peters and Smith for one year. It is hard to have great corners together. Just wish we didn’t have so many projects, old guys, and reclamation projects.

19 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Our defense in general hasn’t been consistently good since Marty. Carter and Hasty plus a pass rush. Too bad those years were wasted with 49er backup QBs. Flowers and Carr for maybe one year. Peters and Smith for one year. It is hard to have great corners together. Just wish we didn’t have so many projects, old guys, and reclamation projects.

Our defense was pretty darn good from 2013-2015 before age caught up with core guys. Dorsey just set us back a few years in reworking the group by handing out bad contracts to declining players. Now we are trying to rebuild group on the fly which isn't easy but Veach has shown some discipline in not desperately throwing money at veterans trying to fix it fast. Next years draft with likely 3 picks in the top 50 will be huge. As will development of a lot of young guys this year. We are one of the youngest teams in the NFL and probably going to keep getting younger next offseason. 

To answer question its Peters and Smith in 2015. We were second in the NFL in INTs and fifth in YPA defense (a massively important stat) that year. 

21 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

I hear some of you complaining on other boards and here about the loss of Peters but we have FULLER!  

Our last year starting tandem was Peters and Nelson , right?    Thats not great.  

So we are basically the same back there?

Albert Lewis and Kevin Ross

2 hours ago, xen said:

William Bartee and Eric Warfield?

In fairness to Warfield he does own the all time DUI record for a Chiefs player. Really shocking thing about these two is that they combined to play 15 seasons here.  

11 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Carr's final year before leaving for Dallas was a great year of Flowers and Carr.  I think his career would have been better if he had stayed in KC, but Pioli made zero effort to keep him because he was a fat moron.

That we can agree upon. Flowers didn't play as well in Dallas, not really sure why.

Carr has been awesome for us- 160 straight starts in the NFL at CB? Are you kidding me? And he still plays at a high level.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:18 PM, dhitter said:

The thing about Peters is he had great value as a guy who could create turnovers. Forcing the other team into turning the ball over has many benefits. It takes away a scoring opportunity. It gives the Chiefs offense 1 more scoring opportunity. And it tends to have a deflating affect on the other team. I valued Peters much more for turning the ball over vs. being a shutdown cover guy. Plus Peters was atrocious as a tackler. He'd rather try to strip the ball then nail a guy to the ground.

That having been said...remains to be seen what all Fuller brings to the table. I agree with the notion though that we were 28th in the league in defense last year. Losing Peters is gonna do what?

Swapping Fuller for Peters really onky gives us a player we probably want to extend over one that we didn’t or he didn’t.  Short term our secondary isn’t improved except for one gigantic X factor and that’s Eric Berry and his health

Archived