Is this defense at least as good as last years?

Ok. Start the debate. Seems KC did not lose much except of course Peters. Better Linebackers in the middle. Other than that not much different. Berry may be back buy not sure how effective. Hoping the overall additions offset the loss of Peters. I think this defense will be as bad as last years but not worse. 

Interesting, l like the way you framed the situation fanatic. Dare I say, it's a little positive, given the circumstances. If the offense is at least on par with last year, barring Mahomes mistakes, it could still be a fun year. No deep playoff run, and certainly no SB; but still fun to watch.

Line:  Better with Xavier, Nnadi, and another year's experience with Jones

OLB:  Better with Kpass and Speaks and especially if Houston and Ford bounce back a little.

ILB:  Should be better.  DJ didn't have much to offer last season and Ragland hasn't peaked yet.  Uncertain about Hitchens but no slouch.

CB:  Not as good.  Maybe not so much drop between Peters and Fuller, but the Chiefs haven't found anyone to play opposite and Nelson is better covering the slot.

S:  All depends on Berry but I'm not counting on him coming back 100%.  Won't be worse than last year either way.

Overall:  Expect about the same with a little better run defense but still lacking the ability to stop the third and long situations.  Could be enough better to win some games if the Chiefs come up with another CB and Berry comes back.  Should have better pass rush.

Really a good question.  There’s a ton of new pieces that will likely take time to gel but likewise it’s a younger group who should improve as season progresses.  Last year Sutton had to go vanilla because that’s all we were capable of. We can clearly be more dynamic personnel wise and creative scheme wise  if this group gets any decent corner play.  And if they don’t develop or Sutton doesn’t give us that all the reason to fire him.  We’ve got to find one more corner piece somehow.  

58 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Getting Ford back, drafting Speaks, and the continued development of Kpass. Honestly  you know the answer to that question. Frank Zombo was our starting OLB last year dude. You are being negative just for the sake of doing it.

No, I’m asking a legitimate question based on what he posted.  Let’s be honest, Ford has been wildly inconsistent and we have no clue what we have with Speaks or Kpass.  Chris Jones is ascending but Justin Houston hasn’t been the same since we gave him $100 million.  Those are facts.  Should we be better based on the fact that we have more bodies who can rush the QB?  Yes, but we don’t know that we will be.  Bob “I prefer to drop my pass rushers into coverage” Sutton is still our DC.  

33 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

No, I’m asking a legitimate question based on what he posted.  Let’s be honest, Ford has been wildly inconsistent and we have no clue what we have with Speaks or Kpass.  Chris Jones is ascending but Justin Houston hasn’t been the same since we gave him $100 million.  Those are facts.  Should we be better based on the fact that we have more bodies who can rush the QB?  Yes, but we don’t know that we will be.  Bob “I prefer to drop my pass rushers into coverage” Sutton is still our DC.  

What?  You don’t think Houston should be covering Antonio Brown?

1 hour ago, CHiefSP said:

If you're asking if the Chiefs pass rush it top quality, then the answer is NO!  But the real question is whether they are better than last year and in that regard, I think they are. Kpass and Speaks are pluses and Houston and Ford should contribute at least as much as they did last year which wasn't much.  All that's missing is Zombo and we know how little we lost there.  

I think the overall personnel is better.    Our Dline is better and its not really close.  Our ILBs are way better.   Our OLB's are healthy and we have some youth for depth so that s way better.    Our secondary is worse by a little especially since Amerson didn't pan out.   If Berry is better then our safeties are much better if not we are worse.   I just don't have a lot of confidence in Bob Sutton to turn this unit into anything remotely good.  I look for us to be about the same with us being better against the run and way worse against the pass like some mentioned.     

Archived