Brett Veach likes Erving's ability to suck enough for an extension

Clearly likes his versatility. I dont know why you care so much. Its based on playing time and Wylie appears to be our starter at LG now.

Its good to have an offensive lineman who can line up and start all 5 positions if needed. Veach traded a 5th for him and now he has extended him. He clearly thinks Erving is better than you do.

Cam Erving's extension is basically adding $4,730,000 in guarantees for 2 extra years. That's an extra 1.3 over what he's currently making per year. Not as bad as you think. Especially when you consider he's a former 1st rounder that can play all 5 OL positions (albeit poorly).  Why do you extend him now? That money per year goes up substantially if he plays and does well. Even as a reserve. Look at the deal Zach Fulton got from the Texans. $13 mil in total guarantees. This deal is actually a bargain.

4 minutes ago, gballs said:

Cam Erving's extension is basically adding $4,730,000 in guarantees for 2 extra years. That's an extra 1.3 over what he's currently making per year. Not as bad as you think. Especially when you consider he's a former 1st rounder that can play all 5 OL positions (albeit poorly).  Why do you extend him now? That money per year goes up substantially if he plays and does well. Even as a reserve. Look at the deal Zach Fulton got from the Texans. $13 mil in total guarantees. This deal is actually a bargain.

yep

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Of course he thinks Erving is serviceable, which is absolutely absurd.  He sucks.

If he actually plays enough to reach the incentives (one single injury away), he's going to make more than the Chiefs starting RT.  That's fucking idiotic.

Yep.  But questioning guys like Veach will get you in trouble around here.  Erving has done absolutely nothing to warrant this contract.  It’s embarrassing the Chiefs think otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Yep.  But questioning guys like Veach will get you in trouble around here.  Erving has done absolutely nothing to warrant this contract.  It’s embarrassing the Chiefs think otherwise. 

Yes!  Is so obvious that people who post here know so much more about evaluating talent and running the business than the professionals who get paid big bucks for their knowledge and experience.  

Im not a fan of Ervings but if Veach likes him this is a good club friendly deal. It's what you pay your GM to do. Evaluate talent and make decisions before they are forced on you. If he's wrong its on him. But nothing wrong with the plan. 

3 hours ago, gballs said:

This makes it look much better. So we cut him he is owed just the 4.7 over 2 years. Not bad for a serviceable depth guy that can do any position. Now if we could find out which one he would excel at.....

44 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

This makes it look much better. So we cut him he is owed just the 4.7 over 2 years. Nit bad for a serviceable depth guy that can do any position. Now if we could find out which one he would excel at.....

Apparently none because he’s not a 1 on the depth chart.  I guess we’ll see what happens.

4 minutes ago, CHiefSP said:

Apparently none because he’s not a 1 on the depth chart.  I guess we’ll see what happens.

He is listed as the 2nd RT behind Schwartz. Dont know what depth you are looking at but the one in the post on this board has him there.

Im not saying I think he earned it. Im not saying his been good. I think he has shown flashes at tackle. But I choose to trust Veachs ability to evaluate talent over my own.

These guys do make mistakes. Dorsey paid LDT and Fisher before they earned it. LDT when healthy is an excellent player. Fisher is a very mediocre one. But I'll hope that Veachs faith in him proves worthwhile.

This is what scares me...if Erving meets all his accelerators, he will make more than MITCHELL SCHWARTZ.  In what world are you paying your backup olinemen more than a STARTING ALL-PRO RIGHT TACKLE!  

If im Mitchell...I’m threatening a walk-out right now.  The Chiefs inadvertently accelerated his next deal...costing even more...

I don’t think you can pin everything on a GM when Andy Reid is your coach. These two don’t exist in silos. They talk and decide things together. Andy obviously wants him around and Veach found a way to try to make it happen. There is probably intangible stuff where Andy likes him being around. You don’t keep guys like DAT, Harris, or Zombo around as long as we do without liking intangibles more than actual skill.

40 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I don’t think you can pin everything on a GM when Andy Reid is your coach. These two don’t exist in silos. They talk and decide things together. Andy obviously wants him around and Veach found a way to try to make it happen. There is probably intangible stuff where Andy likes him being around. You don’t keep guys like DAT, Harris, or Zombo around as long as we do without liking intangibles more than actual skill.

Actually from what I heard about Erving it’s intangibles and general work ethic where he had a major problem in Cleveland.  Maybe a bottom feeder team can do that to you. Or playing out of position. I’d like to know where they see him in two years. What I do know is Grunny isn’t a fan. 

20 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

This!

It doesn't make sense to give out a 2-year deal with nice guarantees to a backup who has been simply bad. They might think he can be the starter at a position in 2019, which sounds crazy IMO but I don't see any other reason to even bother with him at this point. 

The strange thing is Morse is our starting OC and his contract runs out this year, would have expected him to get a deal before a backup that has shown nothing. 

9 hours ago, kkuenn said:

This makes it look much better. So we cut him he is owed just the 4.7 over 2 years. Not bad for a serviceable depth guy that can do any position. Now if we could find out which one he would excel at.....

Veach also declined his fifth year option which would have cost 9.1 million guaranteed.  So they want a shot to develop him at a reasonable price and likely into a tackle in my opinion. I question whether they will be able too but physical attributes make it obvious why.  I’d like to see some film breakdown from Keysor and know if he’s shown some improvement.  

16 hours ago, CHiefSP said:

Someone need some tissues for his issues.......

LDT and Schwartz will always be studs on this board no matter how they play. Erving and Fisher will always be trash no matter how they play.

The team doesn’t see these black and white designations because they work with these players nearly everyday. If they think he is worth the money, then he probably is. I don’t see many other priorities s for a guy that will likely come in at any injured position. We will see how wise it was if he has to step in at OT. Until then we are just speculating that he will play poorly.

Archived