The Peters Trade

Pastoors:  And so I think one of the biggest things we all thought with any offseason move we were considering was, ‘Don’t mess that up. We got a good thing going. Let’s continue to add to it and supplement but let’s not mess that up.’

Answer? Sign Peters, Talib, Suh and Cooks. I guess all they were missing were malcontents and head cases. Good luck with that.

Local sports radio said where I live: they are playing for a Super Bowl now. In a couple of years, all these guys will be gone if they have to pay Goff the going rate. Best case scenario they are the Seahawks for three years. Worst case scenario, they are the “dream team” Eagles or overpaid bad Redskins.

Crap or not, it still irks me.  Giving up an elite talent for pennies on the dollar; I'm sure there's more to it than we'll ever know.  I'm not saying this is a apples for apples, but the return on Khalil Mack makes you question this even more. 

However, that article is new so it got posted.  

48 minutes ago, gballs said:

Pastoors: They were very straightforward in what their compensation should be. It really wasn’t too far off from what we viewed.

Sounds like Veach asked for diddly and got diddly for Peters.  Why not as for at least a 1st?  F*cking amateur hour.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-marcus-peters-20180905-htmlstory.html#

We got what the very soft market for him was willing to pay. This story basically just says the same thing. Next. 

25 minutes ago, gballs said:

Crap or not, it still irks me.  Giving up an elite talent for pennies on the dollar; I'm sure there's more to it than we'll ever know.  I'm not saying this is a apples for apples, but the return on Khalil Mack makes you question this even more. 

However, that article is new so it got posted.  

Please don't say you consider Peters to have the same value as Mack.  Mack is a high character, high motor player that affects nearly every play.  Peters made some game changing plays and also screwed up on a number of plays, never consistent.  The Chiefs weren't going to sigh him after this season and they're pointing to 2019 and beyond.  Forget Peters, he wasn't going to be here for a deep playoff run in any circumstances. 

at the time of the trade there were only 2 teams interested;  the Rams and 49ers and neither team was willing to give up a 1st round pick for a player with known character issues.

Benjamin Albright on Twitter said it best at the time of the trade:  "If Marcus Peters could've gotten more in a trade, then he would have".

Teams just were not interested due to previous character issues at Washington and from what they saw out of him in 2017.

You forgot punting the ball into the stands on multiple occasions after we got scored on. Initially missing tackles. Oh and fighting with fans. The guy melted down and would have imploded without a change in scenery. Plus, who cares what people think about it. Old, old, old news.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Please don't say you consider Peters to have the same value as Mack.  Mack is a high character, high motor player that affects nearly every play.  Peters made some game changing plays and also screwed up on a number of plays, never consistent.  The Chiefs weren't going to sigh him after this season and they're pointing to 2019 and beyond.  Forget Peters, he wasn't going to be here for a deep playoff run in any circumstances. 

No, I don't at all.

4 hours ago, gballs said:

Pastoors: They were very straightforward in what their compensation should be. It really wasn’t too far off from what we viewed.

Sounds like Veach asked for diddly and got diddly for Peters.  Why not as for at least a 1st?  F*cking amateur hour.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-marcus-peters-20180905-htmlstory.html#

Must have missed the part where it says exactly what veach asked for.  A 2nd and 4th for a malcontented player who was trying to get kicked off the team so he could whine his way back to california is better than should be expected.

If they weren't too far off from what veach was asking for how do you know he didn't start with a 1st or 2 seconds?  A 1st and 4th isn't too far off of either of those.

I think it is worthy of note that the first Raiders game with Peters, Carr put up 417 yards and 31 points 0 picks and we lost.

with Peters suspended for the second game, he put up 211 yards and 15 points 2 picks and we won.

In fact, we played our best defensive game of the year in my opinion. Not saying that was all because of Peters being suspended, but they seemed to play harder across the board.

Peters was a malcontent always stirring the pot on the field and off the field with coaches, plus he wasn't going to stay here. Mack has had nothing but positive things said about his play, work ethic, leadership, and as a person in general. 

Is what it is, but the two strike me as an apples to oranges type comparison.

26 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Peters was a malcontent always stirring the pot on the field and off the field with coaches, plus he wasn't going to stay here. Mack has had nothing but positive things said about his play, work ethic, leadership, and as a person in general. 

Is what it is, but the two strike me as an apples to oranges type comparison.

Yep.  As much as I didn't care for the kneeling bullshit, that wasn't my issue with Peters.  The day the camera panned to him screaming at coaches on the sidelines during the game and being restrained by teammates, I knew his time was going to be short.  I get the emotion and the heat of battle stuff, but as a man, you take that shit up with the coach after the game when the cameras aren't on.  You don't draw negative attention to the team and franchise by having the cameras catch you screaming at a coach as if you want to beat him with your helmet.  

15 hours ago, jetlord said:

thank you jet...

oh and there is this little comment from peters

Peters: When it was done I was happy to come home [to California]. I wasn’t worried about nothing else.

Bottom line,  he did not want to be in KC and we got what value we could for him,  Veach did what clark hunt told him to do

Let it go and lets concentrate on the players who are here now wearing red & gold

On 9/5/2018 at 9:00 PM, moons314 said:

Yep.  As much as I didn't care for the kneeling bullshit, that wasn't my issue with Peters.  The day the camera panned to him screaming at coaches on the sidelines during the game and being restrained by teammates, I knew his time was going to be short.  I get the emotion and the heat of battle stuff, but as a man, you take that shit up with the coach after the game when the cameras aren't on.  You don't draw negative attention to the team and franchise by having the cameras catch you screaming at a coach as if you want to beat him with your helmet.  

This is exactly why the Chiefs traded Marcus Peters.  My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Thailand during the weeks of the BUF and Jets game.  Once I saw the replay of him throwing the flag into the stands I knew the Chiefs would trade him off in the off-season.

Archived