How many pass rushes was Justin Houston doing today?

the pass rush by Houston and Ford was good all day until Sutton went prevent defense up 31-12 which I cannot stand.

Scandrick is the biggest issue in the secondary.  If they could just find 1 CB to take his place then we could get really excited.

I'd rather throw Tremon in there and let him learn on the fly.    If it doesn't get better soon maybe we should be calling Breelands agent for another visit.  Would hate for this to cripple us when the offense could become elite by the end of this season.   

All in all it was a great win to start the season.  We have a brutal 6 game stretch so every win is a good win!

Scandrick doesn't know the defensive calls yet.  I'll withold judgment for now, but he sure looked bad. Rivers was fantastic.  If it hadn't been for our guys sneaking into their locker room and smearing butter all over their wide receivers' gloves, they would have won by 21 points.  But I'll tale it.  Mahomes was very good. No interceptions.  He did throw too hard sometimes, leading to deflections that probably should have been intercepted.  He needs to use a little more touch, which will come in time.  Right now, the LA defense and offense looks better than ours, good enough to win the West.  And that was with Joey Bosa missing.  

But this shows also that teams cannot be judged only by D and O.  ST's are a third of the game, and LA special teams suck.  We beat the hell out of them with our kicking game and return game.  We won on luck and special teams, basically.

Hill is just from another planet. What can you say?

Best thing of all....no injuries.

At spot times the defense looked good like the first series where they stopped the Chargers on a 3 and out. And then forced the Chargers to settle for 3 on the next series. But they steadily got softer and more porous as the game went on. The Parker INT was nice. Lot of folks ragged on Parker but he played a solid role today. Scandrick just got abused by the Chargers' receivers. I came away from the game with a mix of excitement and concern. We put up 38 points on the road against a pretty good team without much help from Watkins or Kelce. On the other hand...we gave up 541 yards. More often than not you will lose when doing that.

Houston got double teamed all day long, I didn't look for the penalties in detail but looking at the snaps he got fouled a lot. As long as Houston can keep multiple guys on him all year long we'll be fine in the pass rush department as someone is always free. However I didn't like him in the run defense, could have made some plays that ended up being big gains for Gurley. 

8 hours ago, dhitter said:

At spot times the defense looked good like the first series where they stopped the Chargers on a 3 and out. And then forced the Chargers to settle for 3 on the next series. But they steadily got softer and more porous as the game went on. The Parker INT was nice. Lot of folks ragged on Parker but he played a solid role today. Scandrick just got abused by the Chargers' receivers. I came away from the game with a mix of excitement and concern. We put up 38 points on the road against a pretty good team without much help from Watkins or Kelce. On the other hand...we gave up 541 yards. More often than not you will lose when doing that.

Phillip Rivers probably has more to do with softening up the defense than anyone else.  He was brilliant.  Figuring how to soften up a defense is what the great quarterbacks do.  He deserves  most of the credit for those 541 yards.

You know, we all expected shootouts this season.  We have talked about it for months.  To me, it is heartening that we could still win that way against a great team and great QB.  It is also heartening to not be talking about an injury that will keep someone out during this brutal stretch. Let's enjoy this and then draft for defense next spring.  This is about 2019-2026 anyway.

We have a secret weapon besides our offense.  His name is Harrison Butker...and our great ST's.  They win games as much as anyone. Oh, did I mention Dustin Colquitt? He gave us great field position the whole game. It took Rivers a whole lot more plays to get down the field, and those extra minutes made all the difference at the end. The LA special teams were shit.

8 hours ago, dhitter said:

Agreed.  The Chiefs had a chance to really pound on the Chargers at 31-12 and instead, Sutton decided to play prevent defense and allow the Chargers offense to pad their stats and put way too much pressure on the end of the game. 

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Houston got double teamed all day long, I didn't look for the penalties in detail but looking at the snaps he got fouled a lot. As long as Houston can keep multiple guys on him all year long we'll be fine in the pass rush department as someone is always free. However I didn't like him in the run defense, could have made some plays that ended up being big gains for Gurley. 

I'm not worried about Houston. 

We know secondary needs help but missed tackles are inexcusable. Clean that up and we can be decent against the run and get pass rush involved as we did in first half yesterday.  This is mainly aimed at Hitchens and Ragland.  

Murray was laughably bad vs run. Looks like he learned to avoid contact from Marcus Peters.  

44 minutes ago, West said:

Could be the fastest "retool" in Franchise History...

w

Not really a re-tool.  They already had one of the best offenses and young lines on both sides.  The D was way below average last year.  Now they are only slightly below average at this point.  But that deficiency is neutralized by the dominance of special teams.  The O is actually better. Depth is good, but not good enough to keep the D from collapsing if there is a major injury. If Berry turns out to be OK, the defense could become at least decent.  Scandrick probably just needs to learn all the defensive scheme out there.  Murray will be OK.  Glad Parker is back. The thing that will help the D the most is Mahomes engineering longer drives, so that the D doesn't get gassed out there.  They were sucking wind near the end, when Rivers was threatening to catch up.

Archived