One play

2 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

Don't agree at all.  He did exactly what was required of him.  I don't care so much about his stats.  His 20+ yard 3rd down conversion to Hill in the 3rd quarter when we had to have it is another example of his ability to create something out of nothing -- those are the kind of plays that have been missing.  And he's just going to get better.

Of course he's going to have rough moments and games this year, but the praise is not at all unwarranted IMO.

I did say "sometimes"

Are you referring to the play where Hill went up high with one hand because the ball was overthrown and came down hard on his

head and shoulder and had to be evaluated for a concussion, but still made the play?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mahomes made plays I’ve never seen from a Chiefs QB. Elite level throws. He got lucky on a couple of forced throws and was a bullet passer a couple of times where touch was needed. But my goodness, this was hopefully just a taste of his potential.

Know what else seemed to not be present? Overuse of the bubble screen. Maybe a couple? Not nearly as many as Alex Smith would throw. There also wasn’t much panic give up in the pocket. 

After every QB that has thrown a ball since Trent Green left, this is legitimately the first time I’ve been excited about a QB in our backfield.

1 hour ago, Evad said:

I did say "sometimes"

Are you referring to the play where Hill went up high with one hand because the ball was overthrown and came down hard on his

head and shoulder and had to be evaluated for a concussion, but still made the play?

You mean the play where Mahomes threw it 40 yards downfield off one foot with a defender wrapped around his legs. Pure comedy. 

6 hours ago, Evad said:

Mahomes played decent, he made a few really good throws and a few not so good.  15 of 27 for 256 is just good,  4 td's, with two being

a one yard forward pitch is also good.  The Chiefs would have lost that game if not for the special teams play, and an outstanding

day for Tyreek Hill. 

Thats hard to predict. If San Diego had scored more KC may have gotten way more aggressive on offense.

5 hours ago, Evad said:

I did say "sometimes"

Obviously not.  I’m talking 3rd quarter, after the pick, up 31-20, 3rd and 13 from the 11.  Got pressure in the pocket, scrambled to his right, kept his eyes downfield and found Hill down the right sideline for 34 yards.  Last year that would have been a 10 yard scramble and a punt.

about the throw YOU mentioned, if you’re not expecting some wild throws this year you’re fooling yourself.  Some will work out, some won’t.  He’s going to have growing pains, he’s a first year QB!

1 hour ago, Marleydawg said:

Obviously not.  I’m talking 3rd quarter, after the pick, up 31-20, 3rd and 13 from the 11.  Got pressure in the pocket, scrambled to his right, kept his eyes downfield and found Hill down the right sideline for 34 yards.  Last year that would have been a 10 yard scramble and a punt.

about the throw YOU mentioned, if you’re not expecting some wild throws this year you’re fooling yourself.  Some will work out, some won’t.  He’s going to have growing pains, he’s a first year QB!

The kid is a playmaker.  He can flat do things many other QBs cannot.  But I was most impressed week one with a clean sheet in the INT column.  Even with our beleaguered secondary not even Rivers accomplished that.  And I still predict some big INT games are coming as teams throw different looks at him.  

4 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Thats hard to predict. If San Diego had scored more KC may have gotten way more aggressive on offense.

Plus it assumes we don’t score on the drive without the punt return or the long pass.  We very well could have had long scoring drives. Playing what might have happened if this hadn’t is impossible. 

11 hours ago, Evad said:

I did say "sometimes"

Regardless of how much they practice the chemistry between the QB and the WR builds up on the field. We'll see such plays early on and I'm expecting even more with Watkins. As they build some understanding we'll see these plays executed the way they are meant to be. 

The throw to Hill was basically Mahomes keeping the play alive and with a defender all over him it's very hard to expect a better throw. I know his arm strength raises the bar as we always expect a perfect throw but that's not a realistic expectation. Hill also could have adjusted better to the throw to avoid such a fall but he's also a late round pick who is still learning routes. 

11 hours ago, dksww said:

Mahomes' passer rating was 127 for the game.  There's not much to bitch about and if you are, you are only doing so because you don't think he'll be any good and want that to happen for the sake of being right.

:lol: what a vivid imagination you have ....  for the record, I've said he played pretty good, he made some throws that were really good and some not so good, that's a fair assessment of what happened.  the passer rating calculation is high because of the four td's and no interceptions, already addressed that too.  I fully support our new quarterback,  he is lacking experience and for his level of experience played above and beyond it and I expect he will get even better, i sure hope he does

13 hours ago, dksww said:

Mahomes' passer rating was 127 for the game.  There's not much to bitch about and if you are, you are only doing so because you don't think he'll be any good and want that to happen for the sake of being right.

And even if we were to take out those 21 yard glorified handoffs his writing would still be 114.4 with 10.2 yards per attempt.

Awesome. I'm just glad that the last play of the first half wasn't intercepted to ruin his stats for no reason. We would have no significance but it would impact to see his numbers. The other pass that could have been intercepted happens to every quarterback. It didn't seem like a bad error.

I know numbers don't matter, but when you already have the win, I look at stats.

12 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The kid is a playmaker.  He can flat do things many other QBs cannot.  But I was most impressed week one with a clean sheet in the INT column.  Even with our beleaguered secondary not even Rivers accomplished that.  And I still predict some big INT games are coming as teams throw different looks at him.  

He had two passes that could've been intercepted, but one of them was the standard quarterback play that was not a stupid pass and the other would've had no significance because it was the last play of the first half. The only way that could've had any significance would be if it was a pick six. So not making any idiot throws or rookie mistake throws was great. 

On 9/10/2018 at 11:27 AM, Evad said:

Mahomes played decent, he made a few really good throws and a few not so good.  15 of 27 for 256 is just good,  4 td's, with two being

a one yard forward pitch is also good.  The Chiefs would have lost that game if not for the special teams play, and an outstanding

day for Tyreek Hill. 

Truth

39 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

He had two passes that could've been intercepted, but one of them was the standard quarterback play that was not a stupid pass and the other would've had no significance because it was the last play of the first half. The only way that could've had any significance would be if it was a pick six. So not making any idiot throws or rookie mistake throws was great. 

According to PFF Mike Renner, Mahomes average depth of target as 14.6 yards per pass on Sunday. The highest mark for a QB the last decade over a season is 13.4. And most telling is that Mahomes QB rating on passes over 20 yards of which he attempted the second highest percentage in the NFL was 135.4. So Pat was making very difficult throws and having a lot of success with them. It can't be understated how valuable that is to open things up for an entire offense especially when combined with zero turnovers. We've seen or heard about this type of deep ball ability in practice, but weve also heard about turnovers so I do expect those to come and sometimes in bunches too. But he was simply outstanding on Sunday. I feel like we could have scored 50 points had we needed too. And thus why there's such a league wide buzz about it. 

On 9/10/2018 at 11:27 AM, Evad said:

day for Tyreek Hill. 

Keep in mind those stats are basically through 3 quarters.  We went into prevent offense in the 4th:

1st possession (up 11)
Run
Run
Pass

2nd possession started from the 2 yard line after the fumble recovery

3rd possession (up 10 and under 5 minutes left)
Run
Screen Pass
Pass

4th possession came when we were up 10 with 1 minute left so you know what that possession looks like.

So 15 of 27 for 256 yards with 4 td's through 3 quarters I would say is pretty good, no?  Obviously he had some throws that he got away with and could have been picked off but overall it was a good game against a good defense even with missing players.

The Chiefs’ offense is even better with Patrick Mahomes at QB.

Graziano’s verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION. The Chiefs went as far with Smith as he was going to take them, and Mahomes’ laser arm adds an electrifying something that honestly does offer this Chiefs offense a chance to operate at an even higher octane level. No, I don’t expect him to have 16 interception-free weeks. Yes, I believe there will be times when he looks like a lost kid out there. But when your goal is to get past the Patriots in the AFC before Tom Brady retires, you have to elevate the ceiling at QB. Reid took the restrictor plate off an already-fast race car.

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

With the success the Chiefs had Sunday with the deeper throws, one has to wonder if PIT will adjust their defense in a way that will allow Hunt, Ware and Kelce more touches.  Gotta like the possibilities.

Andy Reid said as much after the game. The Chargers were crushed by Kelce and Hunt last year and doubled down trying to stop them leaving us open on the outside. You just can't cover everyone especially when you have a QB that forces your safeties to account for so many deeper passes. Steelers played a lot of zone against us last year. Wouldn't expect any different. Andy's approach here will be interesting but I would think they will concentrate more on Tyreek.

Just now, Mloe68 said:

Andy Reid said as much after the game. The Chargers were crushed by Kelce and Hunt last year and doubled down trying to stop them leaving us open on the outside. You just can't cover everyone especially when you have a QB that forces your safeties to account for so many deeper passes. Steelers played a lot of zone against us last year. Wouldn't expect any different. Andy's approach here will be interesting. 

You can't double every one of our threats, it's up to Mahomes/Reid to see where the one on one or bad matchups are each play and expose it.  Fantasy Football guru's will hate the chiefs because we theoretically should have a different guy having a monster game week in and week out.  

Realistically our O should look like our next opponent and when they are high flying with Bell/AB/Big Ben....

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

With the success the Chiefs had Sunday with the deeper throws, one has to wonder if PIT will adjust their defense in a way that will allow Hunt, Ware and Kelce more touches.  Gotta like the possibilities.

This is what I hope for. Pitt has shut all those players down the last two times they played, based on the stats. I want to believe something has to give this time. I'm really curious to see how Mahomes handles this. The Steelers seemed to really knock Alex Smith off his game. 

6 minutes ago, qnet said:

This is what I hope for. Pitt has shut all those players down the last two times they played, based on the stats. I want to believe something has to give this time. I'm really curious to see how Mahomes handles this. The Steelers seemed to really knock Alex Smith off his game. 

Yup.  Mahomes was pretty upright (except when he was toting the rock at the goal line -- WTF??!) on Sunday...  Pretty sure Pittsburgh is going to rough him up.  Big test for the O line.

Archived