11 hours ago, sith13 said:

When given the chance some youngsters actually did well (like Watts or Smith) yet we saw very little of them in favor of guys that played more and did a lot worse. 

Did Watts or Tremon Smith play well?  Honest question.  I didn't notice them that much except for special teams.  It wouldn't take much to replace Murray so let's see more of Watts on defense.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, jetlord said:

Did Watts or Tremon Smith play well?  Honest question.  I didn't notice them that much except for special teams.  It wouldn't take much to replace Murray so let's see more of Watts on defense.

I think Smith played well in the limited number of snaps he had on defense. IMO he was our 3rd best CB for the day and considering that he's just a 6th round rookie we could see vast improvement in the short term.

Watts looked to be better at tackling than Murray but he didn't get as many snaps as Smith to have a more certain opinion. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:48 AM, sith13 said:

In terms of talent to come in via the draft I think we are set at pass rushers. However we need to be able to develop them. I think we have a major problem in that area as pretty much anyone that comes in seem to stay at their rookie level. Ford is exactly the same as his rookie self in his 5th year, KPass showed some promise but still not doing anything better than last year, Speaks was supposed to be a tremendous pick yet barely sees the field, etc. It's a matter of coaching in our case. 

This is why i hate the 3-4 Defense Or I hate the way we draft for it.    Does New England have problems like we do?

Just a crazy question.   I despised Herm's cover 2 but if our coaches are content with the bend don't break D scheme why are we running it out of a 3-4 and not a 4-3 Cover 2?  Just another head scratching decision.   We ran a 3-4 alignment 8% of the plays last week.   

3 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

This is why i hate the 3-4 Defense Or I hate the way we draft for it.    Does New England have problems like we do?

Yeah they do.

Have you seen their picks in the first few rounds and how they panned out?

Thing is their offense is not necessarily  quick strike and they do give up tons of yards in defense. They do know when ti blitz though and to get pressure

What is the fantasy with NE lately in your post? 

Check out the link here showing their draft history under BB from best to worst per their opinion. A lot of the lately drafts have not hit and all they do is keep trading back for more and more picks but hardly hit on them. Sure they have the occasional one or two but the first 3 rounds us what you need a thing after that is a plus. One thing this does not show is who is still with the team or not.

https://nesn.com/2018/04/ranking-each-of-bill-belichicks-patriots-drafts-from-best-to-worst/

11 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

It's mostly a scouting issue. Some teams do it well for defense while some others. Steelers drafted Dupree to play OLB and he has been performing from day one. Last year they picked up Watt for the same purpose and he's already a beast more often than not. Keep in mind that both of these guys came out as OLB prospects rather than edge rushers.

In our case we try to pick up edge rushers and turn them into OLBs but that works very rarely (only worked with Houston so far). Only 1/3rd of the position's job is rushing the passer with setting the edge and coverage taking up even more snaps in the current NFL. I would love to see us trying with an OLB prospect instead of an edge rusher and see what we get out of him. Pure pass rushers are a dying breed in the NFL and won't have a future IMO, now players need to do more to survive. 

18 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

The Pats don't run a 3-4 anymore. I think they've been running the 4-3 for awhile now. 

4 hours ago, qnet said:

The Pats don't run a 3-4 anymore. I think they've been running the 4-3 for awhile now. 

BB gave an interview training camp where he said base D, 3 -4,  4-3 doesn't matter that much anymore.   He said the Pats only run out of their base maybe 10 to 15 pct of the time and the majority of the time it's nickel or dime because of the amount passing teams do now.   I seen a stat where it said KC has only been in their base 8 pct of the time this season.   

7 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

BB gave an interview training camp where he said base D, 3 -4,  4-3 doesn't matter that much anymore.   He said the Pats only run out of their base maybe 10 to 15 pct of the time and the majority of the time it's nickel or dime because of the amount passing teams do now.   I seen a stat where it said KC has only been in their base 8 pct of the time this season.   

Which is why we really don't know if our run defense is improved yet or not. Chargers ran all over us in a defense not designed to stop the run at all. The Steelers didn't even try to run the ball period. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Sort of unrelated but I really liked Mitchell. Looking at his contract that's one player we could have kept instead of dealing with Amerson or Scandrick. 

just you and I ! Mitchell just needed some more time. 

Archived