Some Defense Positives

Just trying to be a 'glass half full' guy:

1) Chiefs held Steelers to 33 yards Rushing on 13 attempts (2.5 yds/att)

2) Steelers only converted on  3rd Down 3 of 11 times

3) Steelers were forced to punt 5 times

4) Steelers only made 26 more yards than the Chiefs, but had an additional 20 plays (and had possession an additional 5 minutes)

5) Steelers yards per play was 6.4 yards, compared to Chiefs 8.3

The most amazing stat I heard yesterday was the Chiefs' offense scored 42 points on their first 37 plays.  That kind of efficiency is going to cause the opposition to have the ball more, thus resulting in them accumulating more yardage.  Plus, given the fact that the Steelers were down 21 points so early in the game...

We are such a different type of team with this offense than we were in the Alex Smith era where TOP was really important to our success most of the time. The defense did force three straight punts in the second half yesterday which really helped put the game away. If not for the turnover we win by double digits. Problem is we haven't seen yet what happens when we have to play from behind and can't dictate terms even on the defensive side of the ball. Eventually this weak secondary is going to start costing us. But what I've seen overall is that a lot of the contenders have flaws too. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs are scoring too many points too fast.  It's hard on the D.  Waaa, waaa, waaa.

No waaa, waaa, waaa. Just fact, fact, fact. Ask anyone who has played the game especially at 6000 feet. The D will get worn out and with the D not being stellar it will have an impact on them and the game.

When a shitty Denver O beats KC because the D is worn out from being on the field too much I don't want to hear you say a single thing about the D, deal. If they beat Denver in Denver I will say you were right and I was waaa, waaa, waaaing for no reason.🤝

I'm as down on the defense as anyone, but they did just play 2 HOF QBs in a row, on the road.

If we give up 30 points a game to teams like the 49ers and Broncos then we have major issues.

I'll say we have issues for now, but giving up a boatload of points to the 49ers and the Broncos would be very disappointing.

I'm not sold that will happen.

3 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Just trying to be a 'glass half full' guy:

1) Chiefs held Steelers to 33 yards Rushing on 13 attempts (2.5 yds/att)

2) Steelers only converted on  3rd Down 3 of 11 times

3) Steelers were forced to punt 5 times

4) Steelers only made 26 more yards than the Chiefs, but had an additional 20 plays (and had possession an additional 5 minutes)

5) Steelers yards per play was 6.4 yards, compared to Chiefs 8.3

The most amazing stat I heard yesterday was the Chiefs' offense scored 42 points on their first 37 plays.  That kind of efficiency is going to cause the opposition to have the ball more, thus resulting in them accumulating more yardage.  Plus, given the fact that the Steelers were down 21 points so early in the game...

Scarecrow:  you are right to point out these positives.  However, Bob Sutton's play calling is beyond frustrating.  He rushed 3 guys on 2nd & 7 and held Justin Houston back in coverage ... covering Antonio Brown!  On that same drive there was 1 or 2 plays where we rushed 2 or 3 at the QB, but had Houston & Ford covering guys.  This is how Sutton always plays Big Ben & the Steelers and we've only beaten them once (yesterday) playing that way). C'mon, man .... there's no excuse for that garbage from Sutton.

5 minutes ago, dksww said:

I'm as down on the defense as anyone, but they did just play 2 HOF QBs in a row, on the road.

If we give up 30 points a game to teams like the 49ers and Broncos then we have major issues.

I'll say we have issues for now, but giving up a boatload of points to the 49ers and the Broncos would be very disappointing.

I'm not sold that will happen.

DKSWW: this is a good point.  You and Scarecrow are both correct in the positives, but please see my rant about Sutton above.  That is my biggest gripe with this defense.  We have the horses.... Sutton just refuses to go at the QB with more than 3 or 4 guys.  I'd like to note that the D is usually successful when we throw some pressure at the QB. 

2 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

Scarecrow:  you are right to point out these positives.  However, Bob Sutton's play calling is beyond frustrating.  He rushed 3 guys on 2nd & 7 and held Justin Houston back in coverage ... covering Antonio Brown!  On that same drive there was 1 or 2 plays where we rushed 2 or 3 at the QB, but had Houston & Ford covering guys.  This is how Sutton always plays Big Ben & the Steelers and we've only beaten them once (yesterday) playing that way). C'mon, man .... there's no excuse for that garbage from Sutton.

DKSWW: this is a good point.  You and Scarecrow are both correct in the positives, but please see my rant about Sutton above.  That is my biggest gripe with this defense.  We have the horses.... Sutton just refuses to go at the QB with more than 3 or 4 guys.  I'd like to note that the D is usually successful when we throw some pressure at the QB. 

I don't disagree at all, it's maddening to watch 3 guys try to rush the QB being blocked by 5 guys.  There were times yesterday were Big Ben had 5 seconds or more even to throw the ball.  Ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, dksww said:

I don't disagree at all, it's maddening to watch 3 guys try to rush the QB being blocked by 5 guys.  There were times yesterday were Big Ben had 5 seconds or more even to throw the ball.  Ridiculous. 

Dude, it was driving me crazy .... & yesterday is indicative of the way we always play Big Ben & the Steelers with Sutton calling the D.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

No waaa, waaa, waaa. Just fact, fact, fact. Ask anyone who has played the game especially at 6000 feet. The D will get worn out and with the D not being stellar it will have an impact on them and the game.

When a shitty Denver O beats KC because the D is worn out from being on the field too much I don't want to hear you say a single thing about the D, deal. If they beat Denver in Denver I will say you were right and I was waaa, waaa, waaaing for no reason.🤝

Cool yer jets, 63.  Of course the defense gets tired when the offense scores quickly, but this offense isn't the type to have seven minute drives to get into field goal range.  Better to score than to just eat clock.  The Steeler game illustrated that scoring  lot and getting about six stops is better than scoring 21 and having a fresher defense give up 24 with nine stops.  Ideally, the offense would score six times and take over five minutes each drive, but that's not likely in the real world.  Rotate in Nnadi, Kpass, and Speaks along with Watts and Tremon Smith.  I believe in clock management, but not in delaying scoring to rest the D.   BTW, how did the better rested and more talented PIT defense play yesterday?

Well I'd rather see my defense gassed because they just knocked the shit out of their opponents than because they are dog tired from running their asses  off pointlessly playing prevent defense because every possession goes the length of the field. 

If the argument is PM scores too fast,  then it makes even more sense to be aggressive and get off the field faster versus bend and don't break. Sutton has to go 

The defense is horrible. You can't sugar coat it.

"Oh but the Chiefs got some key stops?" Were you watching the same game I was? Yes, Rapistberger threw some bad balls. He seemed off all day. Ben in his prime would have put up over 500 yards and at least 1 more TD. This defense didn't stop anyone.

The most frustrating thing is...outside of the Watkins signing we focused on the defense in FA and the draft but the results are the same. Probably bottom three in any defensive stat you want to use

6 hours ago, dhitter said:

The defense is horrible. You can't sugar coat it.

"Oh but the Chiefs got some key stops?" Were you watching the same game I was? Yes, Rapistberger threw some bad balls. He seemed off all day. Ben in his prime would have put up over 500 yards and at least 1 more TD. This defense didn't stop anyone.

The most frustrating thing is...outside of the Watkins signing we focused on the defense in FA and the draft but the results are the same. Probably bottom three in any defensive stat you want to use

Bottom 3? Well they are 6th best against the run......

Lol

11 hours ago, sith13 said:

Our offense was a lot better than Steelers, that's why our defense looks less bad in stats but it's not really sustainable. Teams will adjust to our offense and we won't be able to put up 6 TDs every single game.

I want to know how you adjust to what I saw out of both of these games?

how do you adjust to lazers thrown perfectly, to the exact right spot 30 yards downfield thrown before the reciever breaks? how do you adjust to a quick slant thats thrown in a quarter of a second and hits the reciever in stride while being thrown with serious velocity? you cant scheme to prevent that... and sure you say you can mix it up, but man that was a complicated defense that just got slashed, and gashed... this is more than just schemery and tricks your seeing this is actually a fairly simple offense reid is running at this point..

Its just you gotta be able to stop way to many great football players, mano mano... you cant roll coverage, you cant cheat the safety.. the ball could be going to anywhere on the field, and the only thing i can tell you is it isnt taking its time getting there.

I think you will see that as long as the guys are healthy...... scoring in 2 minutes aint the problem.. its taking 2 minutes to score...

big ben averaged around 5 minutes to 6 minutes per touchdown... thats great...

only problem was, and you could see it in big bens eyes, and read it on his lips, not again... everytime we scored.. it was pure insanity..

as to the defense... sure there gonna get tired.. but what do you think the offense that is facing that defense is going to feel like... damn here we go again...

shit.. behind again... damnit ....

This was more than a shootout it was a battle of wills, and big ben lost... offensive full of player of the week personel,  and still cant get a lead... giving everything he has...

1 hour ago, robgar said:

I want to know how you adjust to what I saw out of both of these games?

how do you adjust to lazers thrown perfectly, to the exact right spot 30 yards downfield thrown before the reciever breaks? how do you adjust to a quick slant thats thrown in a quarter of a second and hits the reciever in stride while being thrown with serious velocity? you cant scheme to prevent that... and sure you say you can mix it up, but man that was a complicated defense that just got slashed, and gashed... this is more than just schemery and tricks your seeing this is actually a fairly simple offense reid is running at this point..

Its just you gotta be able to stop way to many great football players, mano mano... you cant roll coverage, you cant cheat the safety.. the ball could be going to anywhere on the field, and the only thing i can tell you is it isnt taking its time getting there.

I think you will see that as long as the guys are healthy...... scoring in 2 minutes aint the problem.. its taking 2 minutes to score...

big ben averaged around 5 minutes to 6 minutes per touchdown... thats great...

only problem was, and you could see it in big bens eyes, and read it on his lips, not again... everytime we scored.. it was pure insanity..

as to the defense... sure there gonna get tired.. but what do you think the offense that is facing that defense is going to feel like... damn here we go again...

shit.. behind again... damnit ....

This was more than a shootout it was a battle of wills, and big ben lost... offensive full of player of the week personel,  and still cant get a lead... giving everything he has...

If I was playing the Chiefs I'd actually go into the Bob Sutton type approach. Don't let the kid beat you deep. Make him work the ball underneath on long drives with no mistakes. And then tactically throw some exotic blitzes at him to keep him off balance. Then again as it is with most QBs if you can generate pressure its going to impact him and the routes we run. Just depends on if they have personel to pull it off. The Chargers minus Bosa didn't. The Steelers just looked lost without our old Alex Smith approach. 

Two games in....No Eric Berry....

With more games together and if Berry can get back, the defense will improve.

While I think the Defense is pretty bad, they can turn it around.

And before you say...sutton this or that....Its the NFL...Players have a huge say in the schemes and the calls.

Eric Berry will help.

w

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Players do not have a huge say in the scheme. If they did, Peters wouldn't be going off on the coaches last year, Houston wouldn't be covering Antonio Brown, 3 lineman wouldn't be rushing the QB on passing downs, I could go on.

Sutton is the problem...his scheme & his calls. 

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Players do not have a huge say in the scheme. If they did, Peters wouldn't be going off on the coaches last year, Houston wouldn't be covering Antonio Brown, 3 lineman wouldn't be rushing the QB on passing downs, I could go on.

Sutton is the problem...his scheme & his calls. 

I'm not sure why Sutton doesn't switch to a more attack style defense. Blitz more...bring pressure. He is so worried our dbs are gonna get burned. Well guess what? We have the offensive horses to keep up...and probably pass the other guys. Try it Bob...please!

Thanks for the Topic Scarecrow.  3-11 on 3rd down and the 5 punts were huge.

People want to complain about the yardage, I don't care.  The Steelers looked frustrated and beat in the 4th quarter.  They knew they weren't going to win that game.

That silence you heard in the closing moments of the game was Pittsburgh's window closing.

Btw, here are the Steeler's drives in the 2nd half:

11 plays, 75 yards, TD (28-28)

3 plays, 7 yards, Punt (35-28)

4 plays, 15 yards, Punt (42-28)

6 plays, 14 yards, Punt (42-30)

9 plays, 66 yards, TD (42-37)

Until Conley's fumble (the Steeler's last, desperate drive), they had gained 101 yards and 7 offensive points in the half, when the game was being decided by KC's superior offense.  Not too bad IMO.

They gave up 6 first downs on penalties, that has to be cleaned up if they aren't going to get to the QB.

Archived