Steelers say they underestimated Mahomes

Excellent explanation of why the KC offense had success. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bud-dupree-admits-steelers-underestimated-intelligence-of-chiefs-quarterback-patrick-mahomes/

The point being, the main takeaway from Sunday shouldn't be that the Steelers defense is awful (even though they've certainly got their issues to sort through). The main takeaway is, Mahomes is faster along in his progression than almost anyone expected and as a result, the Chiefs' offense is exploding.

I think it's a realistic assessment. Mahomes is seen as a rookie by most coaches and players. So they don't know what he's capable of, showing so much poise in the pocket is unexpected for them. A lot of young QBs come up with strong performances but they regress once the defenses start to adjust. The thing with Mahomes is he's playing more like a veteran as mentioned in the news, so it won't be an easy adjustment for most defenses. I'm not saying it'll be as hard as playing Brady but it'll surely be tougher than playing most QBs. Considering the number of weapons at Mahomes' disposal even if they adjust there will always be some options.

20 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I think it's a realistic assessment. Mahomes is seen as a rookie by most coaches and players. So they don't know what he's capable of, showing so much poise in the pocket is unexpected for them. A lot of young QBs come up with strong performances but they regress once the defenses start to adjust. The thing with Mahomes is he's playing more like a veteran as mentioned in the news, so it won't be an easy adjustment for most defenses. I'm not saying it'll be as hard as playing Brady but it'll surely be tougher than playing most QBs. Considering the number of weapons at Mahomes' disposal even if they adjust there will always be some options.

Andy is an elite coach at building an offense around his QB strengths.  And playing ahead the last two games has let Andy play call on his terms. 

But defensive coordinators are going to see some tendencies emerge and try to take Mahomes out of comfort zone (like he loves to roll out to the right). And the game of adjust and readjust will be on. 

As easy as it’s looked the last two weeks, this is gonna be a roller coaster of sorts still in my opinion.  He may even look flat lost a few games with the right defensive calls and having to play from behind.

Andy basically said last week it’s going to be about 2 years in his experience before Pat really starts to get it  That should be a damn scary thought to the rest of the league. 

Hear me out on this:

Thats an absolute crap excuse (Mahomes is farther along in his progression than expected- which he is)

This is the NFL- Pitt wasn't an SEC team hosting a Jerry Falwell University team- its NFL!

You have to be prepared for an NFL quarterback. Nothing in pre-season showed that there was anything wrong with Mahomes OR that he was not an NFL caliber starting back. Personally I thought he would be as good as Watson was last year, although he looks to have regressed. Thats not to imply that Mahomes will also! 

Point is- he carved a pretty good LAC pass defense last week- Steelers should have been better prepared period- regardless of who they are playing.

You can tell the year behind Alex Smith taking in everything has really paid off.

His pre-snap reads and moving guys around to get the best match up looks like what Brady and Peyton Manning do. 

IMO, the year behind Smith was crucial for this and a full understanding of the offense. 

The Chiefs aren't doing this with smoke and mirrors like with a ton of screen passes and trick plays. 

Mahomes gets the play call assesses the defense, moves people around, finds the best match up and lets it rip.

From what I understand, Reid gives his QB two play calls based on the defensive groupings, down and distance and Off packages- its up to the QB to read it all and decide on the play call.

Mahomes looked like a 10 yr vet out there.

Steelers made zero adjustments. Their fans want all the coaches gone right now.

3 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

From what I understand, Reid gives his QB two play calls based on the defensive groupings, down and distance and Off packages- its up to the QB to read it all and decide on the play call.

Mahomes looked like a 10 yr vet out there.

Steelers made zero adjustments. Their fans want all the coaches gone right now.

lol cant say that all Chiefs fans have not felt that same pain at one point some time down the line.

the 2nd half of the game the Steelers were in melt down mode

That's interesting. I agree with Hands. When I first read the article/tweets, I thought to myself, didn't they watch film?   I thought the Pitt game was going to be tough because they had some game film on him.

I remember Mahomes commenting that they tried to throw a lot of stuff at him. I was impressed because based on that statement, he understood what they were trying to do. I've heard Payton Manning say a similar thing, ironically about the Chiefs defense.

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

lol cant say that all Chiefs fans have not felt that same pain at one point some time down the line.

the 2nd half of the game the Steelers were in melt down mode

I wouldn't be disappointed to see any coach on the defensive side of the ball fired. Unless Mahomes pulls one out of his a$$ I don't see the Chiefs winning a SB with this coaching group on defense. May be if Sutton leaves some of the younger coaches might develop with a better DC but in general our older coaches seem to be done.

The excuse is nonsense.  Does anyone believe that the Steelers covered "their view" of Option#1 and Option #2 on every play and by some stretch, Mahomes picked option #3 each and every time.

Go back and look at the film.  There were guys open all over the place.  Pittsburgh has a problem on defense this year.

Pittsburgh lost and they had every crucial call go their way during the game.

Fuck Pittsburgh

w

14 minutes ago, West said:

The excuse is nonsense.  Does anyone believe that the Steelers covered "their view" of Option#1 and Option #2 on every play and by some stretch, Mahomes picked option #3 each and every time.

Go back and look at the film.  There were guys open all over the place.  Pittsburgh has a problem on defense this year.

Pittsburgh lost and they had every crucial call go their way during the game.

Fuck Pittsburgh

w

actually Grunny kinda just disagreed with you on 810..said  the Steelers saw what Alex would usually do on film and thought PMII was going to do the same and pretty much said "the Steelers covered "their view" of Option#1 and Option #2 on every play and by some stretch, Mahomes picked option #3 each and every time.

W

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

actually Grunny kinda just disagreed with you on 810..said  the Steelers saw what Alex would usually do on film and thought PMII was going to do the same and pretty much said "the Steelers covered "their view" of Option#1 and Option #2 on every play and by some stretch, Mahomes picked option #3 each and every time.

When Alex was here, we should have made Option #3 into Option #1 or Option #2.  Then we could have made Option #1 into Option #3 or Option #2.  That way when Alex was supposed to do Option #3, they would have been expecting Option #1 or possibly Option #2 and they would have been completely fooled and out of position.  Alex would then have had the option to go with Option #2 if Option #3 (Now Option #1) was covered.  And so on and so forth. That's on the coaching staff if you ask me.   

I love and respect Grunny... but why would the Steelers watch Alex Smith when they had tape on Mahomes from both this year and last year...not to mention Texas tech?

Grunny's theory is that Reid would call the same plays with Patrick as he did with Alex?

Kinda hard for me to believe all that... but hey, if Grunny thinks Patrick is running with a Super Computer up there, even better for us Chief fans.

w

22 minutes ago, West said:

I love and respect Grunny... but why would the Steelers watch Alex Smith when they had tape on Mahomes from both this year and last year...not to mention Texas tech?

Grunny's theory is that Reid would call the same plays with Patrick as he did with Alex?

Kinda hard for me to believe all that... but hey, if Grunny thinks Patrick is running with a Super Computer up there, even better for us Chief fans.

w

I think the "theory" was that PMII would run the plays as Alex did. It was up to the Safteys on where to go  and they always picked the wrong option because of what they saw before..hard to really game plan from only 2 games of Career history.  I think you'll see SF  put 8 in the back field and Dare PMII to beat them with his arm.. thats fine with me..we got Hunt,Ware, Willams and Sherman to make them creep forward until Tyreek blows by them..SF will be just picking a different poison..death by being run over and the Play Action Pass.

and I think you are spot on PMII   does have a Super Computer between them ears with Terabyte memory not just gigs

Niners have a pretty good defense....they will be a test for the Offense.

Our defense scares me to death...We are always one step late on the pass rush or in coverage....always.

Jimmy G has a cult following out here, so it would be great to blow him up.

I see a tough game ahead.

w

39 minutes ago, West said:

Niners have a pretty good defense....they will be a test for the Offense.

Our defense scares me to death...We are always one step late on the pass rush or in coverage....always.

Jimmy G has a cult following out here, so it would be great to blow him up.

I see a tough game ahead.

w

I think they may slow him down, but I still think he will make some plays. 

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Hear me out on this:

Thats an absolute crap excuse (Mahomes is farther along in his progression than expected- which he is)

This is the NFL- Pitt wasn't an SEC team hosting a Jerry Falwell University team- its NFL!

You have to be prepared for an NFL quarterback. Nothing in pre-season showed that there was anything wrong with Mahomes OR that he was not an NFL caliber starting back. Personally I thought he would be as good as Watson was last year, although he looks to have regressed. Thats not to imply that Mahomes will also! 

Point is- he carved a pretty good LAC pass defense last week- Steelers should have been better prepared period- regardless of who they are playing.

I'd agree that in this league that your coach has largely failed if you underestimate anyone. But I do think the arm strength he showed did visably catch a few defenders who thought they had good position off guard. They looked almost like they were expecting the dink and dunk Alex Smith type of effort. Would that have mattered? Probably not. But perhaps you get more zone or off coverage or bump and run or run you safeties deeper or whatever can work to help your defenders. It's there that coordinators are going to keep probiing for weakness or some place they can exploit his inexperience. And there the Steelers failed miserably. 

30 minutes ago, West said:

No question OT....Sundays are always stressful as a Chief Fan....since like forever.

Qnet- I agree- we will make plays and the Chiefs should win this game. 

w

Jimmy through two games is the worst rated 3rd down qb. Maybe it will all come together this week.

Archived