Roughing the Passer

reesebobby

I get that quarterbacks are dangerous and we don't want them injured all the time by people cheap shotting them.  But it's getting a little over the top IMO.  The Packers/Vikings thing seemed like good football to me. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2018/09/17/clay-matthews-says-roughing-passer-penalties-are-out-control

Clay had a right to be upset.  It is really starting to stink of bullshit.  Yeah, yeah, safety, I get it.  These guys know what they sign up for, and are being paid millions to take the risk.

It will be two hand touch on the the QB before long.

Tough to see this. We are in an era where the backup is as good as the stater. Philly lost their stater and won the Super Bowl. Browns lost their stater just this week getting throttled 14-0 and the back up won the first game after 19 straight losses. Winston gets suspended and Conner McGegor blows it up. So many teams are a toss up between starter and back up.

Let the D play. Man I love the LT, Reggie White, DT days when a QB had to be a football player. Little ass Montana had to get crushed and get up and make a play. Don’t allow all this holding to protect mediocre QBs that got no business starting in the NFL. Let them destroy guys that should not be there. Cold I know, but fuck that powder puff shit. The pass rushers in this league are better than the QBs we are protecting. I want to see them play. That’s football IMHO.

There should be an outcry about this whole thing. At this point NFL is "protecting" the QB at the expense of the game. Both calls against Matthews were complete BS and definitely ruining the game. Defenders need to play as well, penalize cheap shots and protect the head but the rest should be fair game.

The QB's of today are large men. You don't even get a sniff unless you are 6'2" or taller and at least 200 lbs. You are not going to hurt these guys by landing on top of them. You CAN hurt them by picking them up and driving them shoulder/head first into the ground. That should be the penalty not laying your weight on them. Matthews was performing a form tackle, nothing less. 

I am selfish on this one. We have a great quarterback in Mahomes. Anything that even remotely helps keep him from being injured for the year is fine by me. I know it "ruined" football but so does an injured Mahomes for me.

I know that Mahomes could slip in the shower, he could twist his own ankle, etc. and people can still take cheap shots for the penalty. But if there is at least one time where a defender pulls up, that could be what saves him.

So, I am upset when we get penalized for roughing the passer or if we let a quarterback slip through our fingers when we are trying to avoid the penalty.  I would be upset if one of our players injures themselves trying to avoid the penalty. But those are small compared to losing your quarterback, even losing a defensive player.

Now, I don't really care if other teams lose their quarterbacks, but I can't really apply the rule to one but not the other. Colin Cowherd said that the rule is good because we don't want to lose our "stars." I don't care about stars. I care about our players. Especially our quarterback.

I even hope that the tucking your helmet helps Hunt, even though I feel that not tucking it could hurt his neck.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:13 AM, KCSLC2008 said:

I am selfish on this one. We have a great quarterback in Mahomes. Anything that even remotely helps keep him from being injured for the year is fine by me. I know it "ruined" football but so does an injured Mahomes for me.

I know that Mahomes could slip in the shower, he could twist his own ankle, etc. and people can still take cheap shots for the penalty. But if there is at least one time where a defender pulls up, that could be what saves him.

So, I am upset when we get penalized for roughing the passer or if we let a quarterback slip through our fingers when we are trying to avoid the penalty.  I would be upset if one of our players and you're some self trying to avoid the penalty. But those are small compared to losing your quarterback, even losing a defensive player.

Now, I don't really care if other teams lose their quarterbacks, but I can't really apply the rule to one but not the other. Colin Cowherd said that the rule is good because we don't want to lose our "stars." I don't care about stars. I care about our players. Especially our quarterback.

I even hope that the tucking your helmet helps Hunt, even though I feel that not tucking it could hurt his neck.

On that note it’s the RPOs that scare me with Mahomes.  Taking them out doesn’t make sense but I’d be a lot more careful with how we use them now.  He’s every bit the athlete Alex was but isn’t the natural runner and ironically is really bad at sliding for a baseball player.  In short that arm is to valuable to be put in harms way more than we have to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived