Pro Football Hall Of Famers Threaten Boycott of Future HOF Ceremonies

KC Warpaint

Some members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame say they will not attend the yearly induction ceremony until they receive health insurance and an annual salary that includes a share of the league's revenue.

In a letter sent to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith, and Pro Football Hall of Fame and CEO David Baker, the players outline their grievances and want to "establish a template for active players in the next round of CBA negotiations for the expiration of the current deal in 2021."

The players say there has been a deliberate attempt to divide active and retired players.

There are 22 Hall of Fame members that attached their name to the letter, including Hall of Fame Board chairman Eric Dickerson.

The letter was signed by Marcus Allen, Mel Blount, Derrick Brooks, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Richard Dent, Carl Eller, Marshall Faulk, Mike Haynes, Rickey Jackson, Ronnie Lott, Curtis Martin, Joe Namath, John Randle, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jackie Smith, Lawrence Taylor, Kurt Warner and Sarah White, the widow of Reggie White.

"We demand nothing less than this," the letter said. "In the past, the NFL has tried to appease retired players by creating programs like the $620 million “Legacy Fund.” But from our own experience, and in speaking with other retired players, we know that such bureaucracies have proven to be little more than cynical public relations ploys that fail to help those who desperately need it,

The letter says it costs less than $4 million for every Hall of Famer to have health insurance.

The former players also cite Goodell's reported $40 million annual salary, the league's $14 billion in revenue and the ongoing construction of the Hall of Fame Village, which is projected to cost $1 billion.

"It’s not right to invest in such a project without first acknowledging the league’s debt to its great players. We are the reason people visit the Hall of Fame in the first place."

The letter also pointed to other sports, such as Major League Baseball, whose insurance and pension structure is vastly different from the NFL's.

“A baseball player who has appeared on a Major League roster for one day is entitled to health insurance for the rest of his life,” the letter said. “A player employed on a roster for 43 days gets a lifetime pension.”

The Hall of Famers say the league's slogan of “Football is Family" needs to ring true.

“We agree, which is why we’re demanding to be treated like family members who are integral to the league’s present and future,” the letter said. “As the legends of the game’s past, we deserve nothing less.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pro-football-hall-of-famers-threaten-boycott-until-nfl-provides-health-insurance-and-salaries/ar-BBNvdvv?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

fuck'em. I hate saying that cuz I love me some Earl Campbell and Marcus Allen but if they were not able to transfer their earnings in order to  live life comfortably then why is it the NFL's responsibility to pick up the slack? EC is in terrible condition but Marcus is swimming $$. I could see maybe an affordable option for those who are in financial hard times but .

I have thought for years that the HOF was a sham so I really dont care if they all  grab each other's nuts and jump off a bridge..fuck em

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

fuck'em. I hate saying that cuz I love me some Earl Campbell and Marcus Allen but if they were not able to transfer their earnings in order to  live life comfortably then why is it the NFL's responsibility to pick up the slack? EC is in terrible condition but Marcus is swimming $$. I could see maybe an affordable option for those who are in financial hard times but .

I have thought for years that the HOF was a sham so I really dont care if they all  grab each other's nuts and jump off a bridge..fuck em

I too have no sympathy for them. They didn't bother to point out that no other sport pays their players less on the average of what the NFL does. How many people in here gets healthcare provided to them, from there old job, after they retire? Hell the government doesn't provide retired vets healthcare free of charge. The VA provides some but not what these guys are looking for.

Again, manage your money and prepare for retirement while your still working.

20 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

"It’s not right to invest in such a project without first acknowledging the league’s debt to its great players. We are the reason people visit the Hall of Fame in the first place."

There kind of had to be a league first.  Without the NFL, no one knows who these guys are.

Just more whining.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I can understand lifetime health benefits for things like concussions or career ending injuries

I can't, most jobs would never pay out lifetime benefits for injuries. Please don't say this is not a normal job. First responders and military dont get lifetime benefits like these jackasses are trying to get and their jobs do more for the people of America than some athlete.

9 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I can't, most jobs would never pay out lifetime benefits for injuries. Please don't say this is not a normal job. First responders and military dont get lifetime benefits like these jackasses are trying to get and their jobs do more for the people of America than some athlete.

Well said!

On 9/21/2018 at 6:41 PM, Chiefsfan1963 said:

That's a bigger concern. First responders and military should be getting lifetime benefits. Especially those that have suffered through something cannot get insurance even if they pay for it since the risk is too high.

The same is true for players that go through some injuries, they are not insurable and it would make more sense if NFL can cover certain expenses for those that had to retire due to unrecoverable injuries. 

51 minutes ago, sith13 said:

That's a bigger concern. First responders and military should be getting lifetime benefits. Especially those that have suffered through something cannot get insurance even if they pay for it since the risk is too high.

The same is true for players that go through some injuries, they are not insurable and it would make more sense if NFL can cover certain expenses for those that had to retire due to unrecoverable injuries. 

Covering career ending injuries is one thing, paying them and their family for life is another. 

Archived