Chiefs D dead last by a wide margin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Chiefswinitall said:

We have to deal with it.  That's sutton's thing- allowing yardage.  We also only have ONE first round draft pick in the defense in all fairness.

I don't know if gets fired after this season but if there's a total collapse then its time.

Yes I am sure his goal is to allow yardage. 🙄 Its on his white board. The theory of allowing yardage. 🤔

Well It seems some feel; the Chargers, Steelers and Chiefs should just go home. Bad defense so why even try. No chance. Personally this league is in favor of offense. Rule changes favor offense. I think KC is on the most likely path for success. Yes in a perfect world would be nice to have the Chiefs O and the Rams D.

10 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

Are you doing this to be dramatic, do you really think we will finish dead last?  I'm guessing that answer rhymes with rope...

No, I’m really not sure where we’ll finish, but right now it doesn’t look so promising. And your implications about why I post are absurd.  I posted this because I think it’s a topic worthy of discussion.  Sorry you don’t believe me, should I pinky swear?

9 minutes ago, dksww said:

Super Bowl expectations this year are ridiculous.

Beating both LAC and PIT on the road to start the season means we are already playing with house money. 

You're welcome to your opinion, but my plan was to let this  year play out, hope Mahomes looks good and see what changes to the defense need to be made going foward.

Agree with this. I think Mahomes and the ability of the offense gives us a shot to beat anyone, anywhere; but likewise a bad game by the offense and we could lose to almost anyone. Then again that's exactly who we were last year when the offense went inept, we lost. I think its far less likely teams are going to hold us to almost nothing on offense as they did last year, but what is more likely are Mahomes mistakes costing us a game or two because the defense can't make up for it. 

Kinda disproves that the leagues best offenses always have the worst defenses. Usually when your offenses go up big it gives you the opportunity to pin your ears back but not us.  We invite teams over and over again to catch up and beat us.  Oh well hopefully our O can carry our lame DC and his pathetic scheme this year.

2 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

No, I’m really not sure where we’ll finish, but right now it doesn’t look so promising. And your implications about why I post are absurd.  I posted this because I think it’s a topic worthy of discussion.  Sorry you don’t believe me, should I pinky swear?

It looked promising to you when you said this earlier in this very same topic:

"I’d have agreed with you before the season started, but based on what Mahomes is doing, it kinda looks like we can make a run this year.  And at 2-0, statistically this team has a good shot to make the playoffs.  Look at the schedule and tell me what games scare you based on the lethality of this offense.  Expectations need to be reset due to circumstances. "

4 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

If you aren't sure maybe quit harping on the dead last thing 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Evad said:

It looked promising to you when you said this earlier in this very same topic:

"I’d have agreed with you before the season started, but based on what Mahomes is doing, it kinda looks like we can make a run this year.  And at 2-0, statistically this team has a good shot to make the playoffs.  Look at the schedule and tell me what games scare you based on the lethality of this offense.  Expectations need to be reset due to circumstances. "

lol

By the way I should add that the top cornerback grade in the NFL according to PFF last week went to Orlando Scandrick. 58 snaps and 8 targets he allowed 1 catch for 0 yards. Thats about as shocking as it gets but MAYBE some reason for optimism. 

6 minutes ago, Legend of AC said:

I get it.  This is a Chiefs homer site.  Goodbye!

Homer site?  I don't know about that, but there are some really knowledgeable football fans here that will challenge contradictions in the thought process if one is willing to post them as you have, still, no reason to be offended, just roll with the punches and enjoy the like minded support of the Chiefs!

29 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Yes I am sure his goal is to allow yardage. 🙄 Its on his white board. The theory of allowing yardage. 🤔

Bend dont break does just this. Allows yardage but not points is the goal and if they do score then make it a fg

6 hours ago, Legend of AC said:

People are going to have different opinions, that just life. It's just a sports forum, and I think you should lighten up.

I personally don't know how to feel about the Chiefs defense. I went back and looked at all the stats since Reid & Sutton have been here, and the Chiefs have only been ranked top ten in both yards and points only twice. It's usually top 10 to 15 in points and bottom ten in yards, that seems to be Sutton's M O.  I thought it may have been because of Berry or Houston's absence, but during those seasons when they were at the top half statistically, both players missed significant time.

None of us knows how this season will play out. We won't go undefeated but I think we make the playoffs. Mahomes probably will set more records along the way. All I care about is winning. If we get to the playoffs and fall...I think for a 1st year that is pretty impressive and a good start. A lot of folks are pointing to 2019. I just don't know that I have enough faith in this organization to turn the defense around next year. We totally retooled our defense and so far (i know its only 2 games)...the results are worse than our stinker defense from last year. Why does anyone believe another off-season and FA/draft will change that?

3 hours ago, Legend of AC said:

I agree.  Buncha frickin Homer's round here posting homer shit like:

52 minutes ago, dhitter said:

None of us knows how this season will play out. We won't go undefeated but I think we make the playoffs. Mahomes probably will set more records along the way. All I care about is winning. If we get to the playoffs and fall...I think for a 1st year that is pretty impressive and a good start. A lot of folks are pointing to 2019. I just don't know that I have enough faith in this organization to turn the defense around next year. We totally retooled our defense and so far (i know its only 2 games)...the results are worse than our stinker defense from last year. Why does anyone believe another off-season and FA/draft will change that?

More like a band aid vs retool. 2019 Retool.

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

Because it takes more than 2 games to see real results.

I mean if our defense comes around as the season goes on its lights out

6 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

The defense is bad, no question about that, but yards per game is not going to be a good measure for all the reasons stated above.  I would like to see different metrics used that adjust for "pace" and quality of opponent.  I bet we look better using those...though possibly still at the bottom of the league.

Agreed.  Does anyone really think Pitt went into that game wanting Ben to throw the ball 60 times?  We scored a lot of points, and jumped out to an early lead.  Pitt was trying to get back into it so there weren't a lot of runs to burn the clock.  That's why stats can in some ways be deceiving.  We've played two good teams, one of which is a perennial playoff force, and the other which has annual injury issues leaving them as underachieving.  

I'm going to state the obvious here.  Our defense has warts.  Is it the worst in the league?  No.  By the time it's all said and done we will probably shake out in the middle of the pack.  Opponent, pace and gameflow directly impact both sides of the ball.  There's a reason teams with 3 td leads don't blitz, it's because they want them to catch the ball and eat the clock, not get caught gambling and give up a quick strike score.  Also, there's a reason that you see me 42-35 type scores in the NFL than 42-7.  Rules favor the offense, and even the bottom tier teams are generally too talented to lose games by 5 tds.  

Anyone concerned about the Chiefs and the Lombardi this year are only fooling themselves.  We knew before camp broke that this team needs another offseason before its truly ready to compete for the ultimate goal.  You can't fix everything in one offseason, and while our secondary leaves much to be desired, we did upgrade the linebackers, and we still haven't had Berry play a snap yet.  Enjoy the ride and watch our young QB rewrite every major passing record for this franchise over the next decade.

9 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Agreed.  Does anyone really think Pitt went into that game wanting Ben to throw the ball 60 times?  We scored a lot of points, and jumped out to an early lead.  Pitt was trying to get back into it so there weren't a lot of runs to burn the clock.  That's why stats can in some ways be deceiving.  We've played two good teams, one of which is a perennial playoff force, and the other which has annual injury issues leaving them as underachieving.  

I'm going to state the obvious here.  Our defense has warts.  Is it the worst in the league?  No.  By the time it's all said and done we will probably shake out in the middle of the pack.  Opponent, pace and gameflow directly impact both sides of the ball.  There's a reason teams with 3 td leads don't blitz, it's because they want them to catch the ball and eat the clock, not get caught gambling and give up a quick strike score.  Also, there's a reason that you see me 42-35 type scores in the NFL than 42-7.  Rules favor the offense, and even the bottom tier teams are generally too talented to lose games by 5 tds.  

Anyone concerned about the Chiefs and the Lombardi this year are only fooling themselves.  We knew before camp broke that this team needs another offseason before its truly ready to compete for the ultimate goal.  You can't fix everything in one offseason, and while our secondary leaves much to be desired, we did upgrade the linebackers, and we still haven't had Berry play a snap yet.  Enjoy the ride and watch our young QB rewrite every major passing record for this franchise over the next decade.

I agree with everything except your take on the Lombardi trophy.  I think this team has just as good a shot as anyone outside the Rams, Jags, and Vikings. 

Who thought the Eagles would win it 2 games into last year?

Archived