HE HAS THE FULL PACKAGE

Chiefs have waited a half century for this guy.  The thing I am most amazed at is his almost veteran presence, the way he bounces back from a mistake, does not castigate someone for a drop or missed block, the way he commands the team with the calmness of a 5th year guy.  He seems to never get ruffled.  The thing that I know for sure is that many of his passes are things that Alex Smith simply could not make physically and wouldn't attempt.  Mahomes owes AS a ton, but AS is nowhere close to what Mahomes already is and light years from what he will become. He really could become the best of all time.  In order to be really savvy, though, he is going to need a defense that tackles better than our currently does.  A lot of good defensive players come out of college and simply don't know what to do to stop the kind of strength and speed in the NFL.  They don't wrap up.  I think most of them will learn, but we need a couple of really good draft picks in the secondary next winter. We can't win every game as a shootout.

53 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Chiefs have waited a half century for this guy.  The thing I am most amazed at is his almost veteran presence, the way he bounces back from a mistake, does not castigate someone for a drop or missed block, the way he commands the team with the calmness of a 5th year guy.  He seems to never get ruffled.  The thing that I know for sure is that many of his passes are things that Alex Smith simply could not make physically and wouldn't attempt.  Mahomes owes AS a ton, but AS is nowhere close to what Mahomes already is and light years from what he will become. He really could become the best of all time.  In order to be really savvy, though, he is going to need a defense that tackles better than our currently does.  A lot of good defensive players come out of college and simply don't know what to do to stop the kind of strength and speed in the NFL.  They don't wrap up.  I think most of them will learn, but we need a couple of really good draft picks in the secondary next winter. We can't win every game as a shootout.

You are so right.  Tackling is a lost art and it's not just on the Chiefs although they seem to be a worst case.  We watched several other games this afternoon and in all of them there were matador waves and failures to wrap up on seemingly routine stops.  Do players just refuse to give it up for a stop or is tackling just not emphasized any more?

Archived