What is our Defensive ranking if Billichick were coaching our Defense?

29 minutes ago, Chiefswinitall said:

I am thinking with Mahomes with 2  first rounder investment that we don't have any 1st round picks on our D except Eric Berry.   Is that also part of the problem?

Ok with Billichick i think we are a 13th ranked D.  Your thoughts?

quit thinking

Problem is Sutton and our lack of interest in aggressively pursuing secondary needs. Lack of secondary help is especially unforgivable as Sutton only rushes 3 half the time. Based on how he runs D, our secondary should be our deepest position. Still won't work as the QB will have all day without a rush, but it is what it is.

10 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Problem is Sutton and our lack of interest in aggressively pursuing secondary needs. Lack of secondary help is especially unforgivable as Sutton only rushes 3 half the time. Based on how he runs D, our secondary should be our deepest position. Still won't work as the QB will have all day without a rush, but it is what it is.

Always wondered how much SAY  SUTTON has in the draft.

10 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

Always wondered how much SAY  SUTTON has in the draft.

I would think that he has minimal input. Reid is responsible of the defense and should be asking his DC's opinion on such situations but in the end they have 10 minutes to decide and crowding that decision process wouldn't be a healthy thing. That being said it could be the reason we have been doing so terrible on defensive picks. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I would think that he has minimal input. Reid is responsible of the defense and should be asking his DC's opinion on such situations but in the end they have 10 minutes to decide and crowding that decision process wouldn't be a healthy thing. That being said it could be the reason we have been doing so terrible on defensive picks. 

I disagree. I think he has input a lot before the draft and building needs, type player wanted to helping with the overall list. They may have 10 minutes when picking but they had a long time before that to know who is who.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

I disagree. I think he has input a lot before the draft and building needs, type player wanted to helping with the overall list. They may have 10 minutes when picking but they had a long time before that to know who is who.

They definitely spend a lot of time with Reid prior to the draft. There are also the private workouts. However that's more of a vague process as they don't know who will be available for our pick. When the draft actually starts the input is minimal, that's the part I'm referring to.

It’s not the coaching. It’s the talent. We predicted thus based on the roster before the season started. The fact that people are shocked and calling for Sutton’s head just makes me shake my head.

if I told you before the season that Berry would not play and Amerson was complete bust. What would your prediction be?

Well he's currently 27th in yards and 20th in points so not much better.  Maybe a small bump to the late 20s.

Still not sure this D is as bad as the stats  considering both teams were basically forced to throw and throw often, and both were rocking top 3 passing offenses last year. 

With the rules this year set up to highly favor the pass + our suspect secondary, I am not surprised at the poor showing on pass D.

We have won the two games we played this season, how does this fact not get the importance it deserves, all this defense bashing seems to totally ignore the most important statistic of all, we are two for two against two good teams.  I think the defense has come up with defensive stops at important times during both these wins.  I'm not a fan at all of the bend, don't break philosophy, but if the defense continues to get stops at crucial times in the game and that provides momentum to the offense, is that really so bad?

42 minutes ago, Evad said:

We have won the two games we played this season, how does this fact not get the importance it deserves, all this defense bashing seems to totally ignore the most important statistic of all, we are two for two against two good teams.  I think the defense has come up with defensive stops at important times during both these wins.  I'm not a fan at all of the bend, don't break philosophy, but if the defense continues to get stops at crucial times in the game and that provides momentum to the offense, is that really so bad?

I think most of us knew (and said) the defense would be at least a 2 year rebuild.  The only difference is that Mahomes has been better than advertised, so those prone to freak out are predictably freakin out.  I did not expect us to be a real contender until next year and I expect that will be how it is.  Mahomes is getting some great on the job training though, and that's what this year is all about, so onward and upward!

What I don't want to see is the team freaking out about it and doing something stupid like giving up significant draft capital via trades (Patrick Peterson excepted, except not gonna happen), or signing someone like breeland to a shitty contract.  We got young guys to pay so that cap space next year will go quickly. 

Stay the course and rebuild through the draft on D.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not sure why Belichick would be a defensive benchmark anymore.  His teams have ranked 25th or worse  in 5 of the past 8 seasons in total defense.  He has made his living off of Tom Brady and a bunch of talented offensive coordinators.   

This is the NEW KC MODEL for Playoff Success. Greenbay often the same.....average defense at best top rated QB.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

It’s not the coaching. It’s the talent. We predicted thus based on the roster before the season started. The fact that people are shocked and calling for Sutton’s head just makes me shake my head.

if I told you before the season that Berry would not play and Amerson was complete bust. What would your prediction be?

My prediction would have been that the Chiefs would find a FA somewhere to fill in for Amerson or Berry.  Guess there was no one available except for Scandrick, but it's hard to think there wasn't someone better than Murray.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, jetlord said:

My prediction would have been that the Chiefs would find a FA somewhere to fill in for Amerson or Berry.  Guess there was no one available except for Scandrick, but it's hard to think there wasn't someone better than Murray.

Problem is with both Sorensen and Berry expected to return, Veach kind of had his hands tied. But I’ve seen no sign Murray is an answer. 

Archived