Patrick causing Meltdown in Chicago

12 minutes ago, Chiefswinitall said:

I'm thinking the  Texas Tech offense is similar to what we run.

Somewhat.  Andy just took some of the air raid principles and wrapped them up in a west coast packaging.  We actually saw a lot of that this past week with all the empty sets and stretching the field horizontally and vertically.  Quite a few 4 verts this week which is an air raid staple play.  I think that Andy is just getting started.   Dude is a fucking mad scientist.

giphy.webp

3 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I'm not sure about the Watson love affair some people have.

He had some pretty good stats in college, comparable to Mahomes. Didn't he win a National championship with Clemson?  I think that's part of the reason. I always felt better about Mahomes, because Andy Reid moved up in the draft to get him. Reid has his flaws but I've always thought he was a superior offensive coach, who is proven to work well with QB's. I thought if he passed on Watson for Mahomes there had to be a good reason.  Now it's registering in everyone's skulls why. 

39 minutes ago, qnet said:

He had some pretty good stats in college, comparable to Mahomes. Didn't he win a National championship with Clemson?  I think that's part of the reason. I always felt better about Mahomes, because Andy Reid moved up in the draft to get him. Reid has his flaws but I've always thought he was a superior offensive coach, who is proven to work well with QB's. I thought if he passed on Watson for Mahomes there had to be a good reason.  Now it's registering in everyone's skulls why. 

Todd Blackledge won a national championship also.

4 hours ago, xen said:

Somewhat.  Andy just took some of the air raid principles and wrapped them up in a west coast packaging.  We actually saw a lot of that this past week with all the empty sets and stretching the field horizontally and vertically.  Quite a few 4 verts this week which is an air raid staple play.  I think that Andy is just getting started.   Dude is a fucking mad scientist.

giphy.webp

Andy Reid is obviously one of the best coaches in the game and absolutely elite with QBs. He just looks reinvigorated by Mahomes.  Odd to see Andy sitting on the bench sometimes during the game but always it’s a one on one with Mahomes.  

5 hours ago, xen said:

giphy.webp

Love me some Gene, in my very favorite movie!!

Mahomes was an exceptional talent going to the draft. Nobody disputed him as the best raw prospect but the question was turning that into NFL success as most guys can't. They have Bray now who's also a very good raw talent, they can try turning him into a starter. Reid failed in 4 years but who knows. 

Trubisky was the most NFL ready guy but I think Mahomes taught the entire NFL that day 1 QBs are worthless and it's better to sit out a year and start as a polished guy.

11 hours ago, sith13 said:

Mahomes was an exceptional talent going to the draft. Nobody disputed him as the best raw prospect but the question was turning that into NFL success as most guys can't. They have Bray now who's also a very good raw talent, they can try turning him into a starter. Reid failed in 4 years but who knows. 

Trubisky was the most NFL ready guy but I think Mahomes taught the entire NFL that day 1 QBs are worthless and it's better to sit out a year and start as a polished guy.

I think Watson was probably the most NFL ready actually. Its a massive mistake to draft players based on who can help your first rather than who can help you most though. At least in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, sith13 said:

It's probably different for each guy, each offense, each team...  We're lucky enough to have a patient owner, a coach with an unparalleled record of developing QBs, GMs who consistently put together a competitive roster, and a QB last year who was good enough to (a) embrace Mahomes' development and show him the ropes, (b) lead the team to another division title and playoff appearance, and (c) net a 3rd round pick and our best CB in a trade.

All together, they've made it look easy.  Very few teams have all those advantages (not to mention the potentially generational-level talent of the QB-in-waiting...).

13 hours ago, sith13 said:

Au contraire, I and a couple others here believed Mahomes was the most NFL ready.  By that i mean he was already doing things in college, like post snap adjustments and scanning down to his 3rd and 4th options, that most NFL QBs don't even do well.  

Also a lot of people, including a lot of the so called experts (it was clear they weren't doing their homework) were getting way too caught up in the air raid label and thinking he was another tech system qb, when it had become obvious that Kingsbury had added in a lot of pro style concepts and reads to their system, precisely because Mahomes could handle it.

I also said at the time that the shit about his footwork was overblown.  While pretty atrocious, there were tons of times that it didn't matter because his arm talent was so good he could throw off platform with ease, and did all the time.

I honestly think he would have killed it last year too.  Not to this extent and I do believe he really benefited from the year off, but he would have done well if they'd have thrown him in the fire.  You can't teach a guy to do some of the things he does naturally.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:47 PM, xen said:

Au contraire, I and a couple others here believed Mahomes was the most NFL ready.  By that i mean he was already doing things in college, like post snap adjustments and scanning down to his 3rd and 4th options, that most NFL QBs don't even do well.  

Also a lot of people, including a lot of the so called experts (it was clear they weren't doing their homework) were getting way too caught up in the air raid label and thinking he was another tech system qb, when it had become obvious that Kingsbury had added in a lot of pro style concepts and reads to their system, precisely because Mahomes could handle it.

I also said at the time that the shit about his footwork was overblown.  While pretty atrocious, there were tons of times that it didn't matter because his arm talent was so good he could throw off platform with ease, and did all the time.

I honestly think he would have killed it last year too.  Not to this extent and I do believe he really benefited from the year off, but he would have done well if they'd have thrown him in the fire.  You can't teach a guy to do some of the things he does naturally.

Guys like Kelce were praising his abilities even during his rookie TC. No doubt he would do some damage last year as well but sitting out and giving him more time to settle probably played a huge role. Already coming from a pro-athlete family I think he had some of the mental stuff figured out and the "system" in KC gave him more chance to be really ready. 

The Bears are a stupid franchise basically.

They gave 14 mil guaranteed to a terrible QB that sucks in the desert currently.

They were so dire (why) to lock in Trubs that they gave sf a stupid bag of draft picks to move up one spot.  Determined to not be outdone on the stupid path, they aggressively went after some TE that people called a baby Gronk because I don't know why.

They took a guy with just a handful of starts and put him in a wonderful John Fox Offense with 1-2 weapons tops and said Good Luck!

Archived