When Do We See O’Daniel as Nickel LB?

While our defense has a ways to go in all areas, the run defense is already better this year in my mind. Some will say that our offense overwhelmed the opponents so quickly that their running game was eliminated. That’s true to a degree but the front seven is creating a lot more penetration than last year. The CBs played better last week (particularly Scandrick) so there may be some hope that we could at least be adequate there. The area where both the Chargers And Steelers killed us was our coverage of the TEs and RBs. 

We need big improvement by our Safeties and coverage LBs. Watching those games makes me yearn for the days of a struggling Daniel Sorensen. Our defense has never been the same since DJ went down with his first Achilles injury. We desperately need someone who is big and fast who can cover the middle of the field. Man, if we only had someone like that...

Oh yeah, how about kid from Clemson? Isn’t this the reason we drafted this kid (our complete inability to cover the TE or RBs last year)? I realize that we spent a lot of money on Hitchens but he is not a strong cover guy. He wasn’t for Dallas either. O’Daniel would INSTANTLY make this defense better. If the Chiefs had better Safeties, maybe we could leave Hitchens in there and let him develop but right now he is getting abused and Berry is not out there to help him. I truly believe inserting  a healthy Berry and  using O’Daniel in passing situations would save the Chiefs a TD per game.

They had Terrance Smith playing that role last Sunday. Which tells me that the Chiefs are aware of the need for better coverage from their linebackers in the nickel.

I dont think anyone had the illusion that Ragland was going to be able to do this. I just think that we all hoped that ODaniel would progress fast enough that he would be able to handle it in short order. Hes clearly not there yet, or they wouldnt have Smith out there because he sucks.

Kind of the same situation at safety. Clearly Watts just isnt progressing as fast as they want or he would be out there instead of Murray. Because Murray is fucking worthless.

Bums me out that these rookies arent able to get more game action. You ask yourself if they could be any worse than what we are throwing out there.

Then I also remember that Bob Sutton is our defensive coordinator. When you have the worst DC in football overseeing things on that side of the field, how much player development can you expect? He has shown almost zero ability to cultivate talent and coach up young players. Almost all the success weve had during his time here has come from veterans that already knew the game. There are exceptions, but not many. 

I want to see more of him when he is ready, but I have seen nothing to suggest he is. This statement 

O’Daniel would INSTANTLY make this defense better. If the Chiefs had better Safeties, maybe we could leave Hitchens in there and let him develop but right now he is getting abused and Berry is not out there to help him.

confuses me. Hitch is one of our best defensive player and a vet.  It sure what you mean. From what I have seen, Hitch is a stud and O’Daniel is a prospect.

22 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Speaks has to go from conditioning to be DL and transition to OLB, while working in an NFL program.  He also has to learn a whole new position.

Like Kpass, gotta have some patience.

With Ford hurt (again), we may see plenty of Kpass and Speaks.  Time to step up.

On 9/24/2018 at 12:36 PM, liquidfriend said:

Speaks has to go from conditioning to be DL and transition to OLB, while working in an NFL program.  He also has to learn a whole new position.

Yep.  People think these kids should be all-pros by game one.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:36 PM, liquidfriend said:

There was some talk about Speaks actually continuing to work on DL and replace Bailey. He looks too weak to actually do it but we need to replace Bailey next year and this regime loves waiting a year before giving a youngsters the reigns. Now that Speaks is taking snaps at OLB I guess those views have changed but you never know in the NFL.

11 hours ago, sith13 said:

There was some talk about Speaks actually continuing to work on DL and replace Bailey. He looks too weak to actually do it but we need to replace Bailey next year and this regime loves waiting a year before giving a youngsters the reigns. Now that Speaks is taking snaps at OLB I guess those views have changed but you never know in the NFL.

It's part of a plan to use oversized edge kind of guys to help contain the edges and provide better run support from within the sub packages in some weird mix of a pass-rush/run-stuffing split front

I have yet to really make sense of the strategy.

Archived