Chiefs wanting to trade for Earl Thomas!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

can he be extended.. I thought it want till end of year 3 

It's a good point. Technically he cannot be. But I think you could negotiate and basicallly have a deal ready to sign if the Chiefs and Tyreek wanted too. In my opinion Dorsey just waited too late to get deals done. Seems like Tyreeks price tag is going up every day he stays healthy. Same with Jones and Fuller. If we think these are core guys we want to roll with, lets start getting deals done before DDay. 

43 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It's a good point. Technically he cannot be. But I think you could negotiate and basicallly have a deal ready to sign if the Chiefs and Tyreek wanted too. In my opinion Dorsey just waited too late to get deals done. Seems like Tyreeks price tag is going up every day he stays healthy. Same with Jones and Fuller. If we think these are core guys we want to roll with, lets start getting deals done before DDay. 

Dorsey waiting too long is a fact not an opinion..I would say  it was in the top 2 reasons why he was fired I think Veach  learned by Dorsey'ss mistakes and if extensions can be made they will. From my understanding from the radio this morning next year the Chiefs have only $500K in dead money.. Thats CAP Heaven and will serve us well as long as nobody gets too greedy. Having PMII at the helm is a great selling point for players to stay and want to come here if he is as he has shown

40 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Dorsey waiting too long is a fact not an opinion..I would say  it was in the top 2 reasons why he was fired I think Veach  learned by Dorsey'ss mistakes and if extensions can be made they will. From my understanding from the radio this morning next year the Chiefs have only $500K in dead money.. Thats CAP Heaven and will serve us well as long as nobody gets too greedy. Having PMII at the helm is a great selling point for players to stay and want to come here if he is as he has shown

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/2019/

2019 Cap Totals

2019 NFL Salary Cap $187,000,000
2018 Rollover Cap $8,298,991
Adjustment $0
Adjusted Salary Cap $195,298,991
All Contracts $144,090,808
Dead Cap $464,855
Practice Squad Money $0
Total Cap $144,555,663
Chiefs Cap Space ($50,743,328)

55 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Exactly.   The teams that have been contenders for very long periods of time  usually have a great QB, and other players love playing on a team like that and are willing to take less money.  If we waived Eric Berry, though, we would suddenly have 28.5 million dollars in dead money.  Keeping him one more year would cut that in half, I think.

Dorsey sure did wait too long to re-sign players.  It was maddening and really hurt morale.

20 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Exactly.   The teams that have been contenders for very long periods of time  usually have a great QB, and other players love playing on a team like that and are willing to take less money.  If we waived Eric Berry, though, we would suddenly have 28.5 million dollars in dead money.  Keeping him one more year would cut that in half, I think.

Dorsey sure did wait too long to re-sign players.  It was maddening and really hurt morale.

I seriously dont see the Chiefs just out n out waiving EB this year. From what I heard this morning they are hopeful to see him on the field  by the Jacksonville Game..post season waiving  or an injury settlement if he  never shows up is a possibility..of course the $500K in dead $$ is if EB comes back healthy and then maybe he becomes tradeable

22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I seriously dont see the Chiefs just out n out waiving EB this year. From what I heard this morning they are hopeful to see him on the field  by the Jacksonville Game..post season waiving  or an injury settlement if he  never shows up is a possibility..of course the $500K in dead $$ is if EB comes back healthy and then maybe he becomes tradeable

I'm wondering if heel issue last year was the same foot where Berry tore his achilles? Not sure if anyone knows. I know the heel thats hurt this year is the opposite of the achilles injury so its seems possible they feel like they really need to let that heal to avoid the same fate? 

5 hours ago, West said:

Pretty sure Thomas is a hitter and a tackler....He is no Peters clone on the field.

In my mind, its about Berry. If he can play, we pass on Thomas.

If Berry is out for the season, we really need Thomas.

w

Meh two different positions here with both FS and SS huge needs.  ATM they are our weakest spots on D....You get Earl and Berry comes back, now its our strongest position!  Every game it seems we get off to a great start or at least get out front and every time it seems Sutton plays back and teams claw back into the game!  You add two All-Pro Safeties and team will not be able to do that as easily. 

I'd honestly say that FS and SS are more important in Suttons Defense than CBs!

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I'm wondering if heel issue last year was the same foot where Berry tore his achilles? Not sure if anyone knows. I know the heel thats hurt this year is the opposite of the achilles injury so its seems possible they feel like they really need to let that heal to avoid the same fate? 

I'm 99% certain I read somewhere the sore heal last year was not the same side as the Achilles tear.

17 hours ago, Sonder said:

The Chiefs are as good as any team in the league right now.

go all in. Get Earl Thomas and Eric Berry on the field together. Give Thomas a 3 year extension that ends right when we pay Mahomes.

we won’t be able to do this in 3 years when Mahomes gets paid, so do it now.

Seriously now is the time to go all for a Championship. This offense is historically good and the defense with Berry and Thomas make it very difficult for teams to pass. 

Please please do this. We really can make the SB THIS YEAR.

It's very premature to call this offense historically good.  I'm as high on PM as anyone, but there is a wall coming at some point.  I wouldn't expect a grizzled veteran to continue that torrid pace, let alone a 2nd year QB in his first year starting.  There's a very real chance that we have a mid season lull where the offense struggles.  I am still of the opinion that this season needs to be about building for next year and a serious run, not mortgaging future pieces to try to go all in right now.  Mahomes is what, 23?  We have plenty of time, and I'd rather Veach take the time to build it right and compete for multiple championships, rather than mortgaging the house and end up in a baseball style situation where a team goes to a world series and is losing 90-100 games a season or two later.  The Chiefs have a real chance to build a window similar to the Bills of the early 90s that bullied the AFC.  

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I'll go way out on a limb here.  I think it is quite possible that he will be put on IR within the next few weeks and that we may never see him as a Chiefs player again.  Maybe as a secondary coach some day.  But his days as a player for us may be over.  No one would be happier than me to see him come back and be the old Eric Berry.  But at some point we have to look at his injuries, his chemotherapy, his inability to heal up from injuries, etc.  This is a business, and it cares little for sentimentality.

43 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'll go way out on a limb here.  I think it is quite possible that he will be put on IR within the next few weeks and that we may never see him as a Chiefs player again.  Maybe as a secondary coach some day.  But his days as a player for us may be over.  No one would be happier than me to see him come back and be the old Eric Berry.  But at some point we have to look at his injuries, his chemotherapy, his inability to heal up from injuries, etc.  This is a business, and it cares little for sentimentality.

This is an overly negative notion to have imo. The man did practice in camp and then had issues with his heel so the organization has decided to be extra cautious with him. Look at Joey Bosa? He's not been on the practice field longer than Berry and also has a foot issue which is said to be keeping him out for another month. If Eric's condition was so bad then he would have been placed on IR ages ago. 

And as for Thomas. I'm praying that Veach makes this happen. Berry and Thomas together in the secondary would immediately take our defense to a completely different level. 

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Based on what?  

1 hour ago, MisChief-Maker said:

This is an overly negative notion to have imo. The man did practice in camp and then had issues with his heel so the organization has decided to be extra cautious with him. Look at Joey Bosa? He's not been on the practice field longer than Berry and also has a foot issue which is said to be keeping him out for another month. If Eric's condition was so bad then he would have been placed on IR ages ago. 

And as for Thomas. I'm praying that Veach makes this happen. Berry and Thomas together in the secondary would immediately take our defense to a completely different level. 

Joey Bosa is 23.  Eric Berry is 29.  Joey Bosa has never had chemotherapy and heals up like a 23 year old.  Joey Bosa's contract does not have giant amounts of dead money if it gets terminated.  I don't think there is any kind of comparison.  None at all.  The only thing in common is that the medical staff has not given a diagnosis for Bosa's foot, and they keep saying he could be back soon.  Maybe it is a new league order to leave fans in the dark about injuries to star players in order to keep them from becoming worried rather than hopeful. I don't think that is helpful, but what do I know?  I just hope Berry will be OK and be back soon.  But I don't like the way it is going. If you Google on the possible late effects of chemotherapy, you will see "bone and joint problems" in virtually every reference. That should also answer Mloe's question above.

39 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Good info. So really there’s zero connection to Achilles issue then. 

Not sure about that. I ruptured my left Achilles last July. By late fall closer to the Holidays I was walking pretty good but had started feeling some pain in  both of my heels.

My physical therapist said it was probably plantar fasciitis and ought to see my family practice doctor about it. Spoke with my family practice doc after the New Year and he pretty much said the same thing.

I tried following some stretching exercises he gave me for a few months and it didn't help. Then I rolled into a heavy travel schedule which keeps me on my feet all day. Doesn't really matter since if I sit to long when I stand up it kills me.

When traveling settles down we are trying something fairly new, we are going to try platelet rich plasma injections or PRP. The Air Force Academy has the equipment since they treat the Air Force Academy athletes.

Long story short, and for what it's worth. I never felt any pain in the heel on the side I injured and the heel with the most pain due to plantar fasciitis is my opposite heel. Remember plantar is the heel problem Gates had for several years and it kept him of the field a lot.

9 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Not sure about that. I ruptured my left Achilles last July. By late fall closer to the Holidays I was walking pretty good but had started feeling some pain in  both of my heels.

My physical therapist said it was probably plantar fasciitis and ought to see my family practice doctor about it. Spoke with my family practice doc after the New Year and he pretty much said the same thing.

I tried following some stretching exercises he gave me for a few months and it didn't help. Then I rolled into a heavy travel schedule which keeps me on my feet all day. Doesn't really matter since if I sit to long when I stand up it kills me.

When traveling settles down we are trying something fairly new, we are going to try platelet rich plasma injections or PRP. The Air Force Academy has the equipment since they treat the Air Force Academy athletes.

Long story short, and for what it's worth. I never felt any pain in the heel on the side I injured and the heel with the most pain due to plantar fasciitis is my opposite heel. Remember plantar is the heel problem Gates had for several years and it kept him of the field a lot.

You are doing the right thing.  Regenerative medicine is going to change everything.  There is one clinic in KC that is super expert at it, but many orthopedic surgeons are learning it and offereing it also.  Platelet rich plasma and bone marrow stem cells are both used, because both contain growth factors that mobilize certain uncommitted cells to enter the site of injection and then differentiate into new cartilage and fibrous cells that otherwise would not be regenerated.  Platelet rich plasma is for less severe injury regeneration, and stem cells from your own bone marrow are for more severe injuries.  Platelet rich plasma is cheaper to do that getting bone marrow, harvesting the stem cells, and then re-injecting them into the site of injury under ultrasound guidance.  Unfortunately, regenerative therapy is not covered by insurance, because insurance companies are behind the curve.  Surgery is more expensive and less effective, but it is covered by insurance.  Even with PRP or stem cell injections, the healing time is usually in the 8 month range and then has to be followed up with physical therapy. A course of PRP injections wouild be about 3000 bucks out of pocket.  Bone marrow stem cell injections would run around 7000 dollars out of pocket.

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

It's very premature to call this offense historically good.  I'm as high on PM as anyone, but there is a wall coming at some point.  I wouldn't expect a grizzled veteran to continue that torrid pace, let alone a 2nd year QB in his first year starting.  There's a very real chance that we have a mid season lull where the offense struggles.  I am still of the opinion that this season needs to be about building for next year and a serious run, not mortgaging future pieces to try to go all in right now.  Mahomes is what, 23?  We have plenty of time, and I'd rather Veach take the time to build it right and compete for multiple championships, rather than mortgaging the house and end up in a baseball style situation where a team goes to a world series and is losing 90-100 games a season or two later.  The Chiefs have a real chance to build a window similar to the Bills of the early 90s that bullied the AFC.  

Good post and on point. Now I do think our short term ceiling is higher than nearly anyone expected and AFC overall looks mediocre with nearly every team having flaws  

Because of that Veach may want to gamble some, but certainly not discard overall plan which should be to build defense through the draft.

i suspect we will know a lot more about how much we should gamble though after Monday night in Denver and our home game against a great Jags defense  

10 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think it was a learning curve for Dorsey. He signed Fisher with 2 full years to go on his rookie deal and didn't really get a long extension even when paying top 3 LT money. After that I think he decided to be more cautious but overcompensated the situation. Berry should have been signed in 2016 which would have saved us some money as well as cap space not to mention the drama within the organization. We would have been through his guarantees by now and depending on his injury status we would have more flexibility.

13 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You posted exactly what I've been thinking.

Archived