Chiefs wanting to trade for Earl Thomas!

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think it was a learning curve for Dorsey. He signed Fisher with 2 full years to go on his rookie deal and didn't really get a long extension even when paying top 3 LT money. After that I think he decided to be more cautious but overcompensated the situation. Berry should have been signed in 2016 which would have saved us some money as well as cap space not to mention the drama within the organization. We would have been through his guarantees by now and depending on his injury status we would have more flexibility.

As the old expression goes, "If the dog hadn't stopped to piss, he'd have caught the rabbit."

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'll go way out on a limb here.  I think it is quite possible that he will be put on IR within the next few weeks and that we may never see him as a Chiefs player again.  Maybe as a secondary coach some day.  But his days as a player for us may be over.  No one would be happier than me to see him come back and be the old Eric Berry.  But at some point we have to look at his injuries, his chemotherapy, his inability to heal up from injuries, etc.  This is a business, and it cares little for sentimentality.

I just don't see that happening!  Berry can't be cut with a huge cap hit until AFTER the 2019 season.  So unless he retires I just don't see him not being a Chief as a player until no sooner than the 2020 season.

1 hour ago, Balto said:

I just don't see that happening!  Berry can't be cut with a huge cap hit until AFTER the 2019 season.  So unless he retires I just don't see him not being a Chief as a player until no sooner than the 2020 season.

And that's a problem.  A contract problem.  But if he can't play, he will be on IR regardless.  They need his roster spot for somebody, either a FA or someone from the practice squad.  But playing with only 52 instead of 53 is like playing with one hand tied behind your potentially injured back.

3 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

Rams should fire Wade Phillips.  His D gave up 31 points and 450 yards to a team whose previous performance (at home against the Bills) netted only 6 points and under 300 yards.

And he actually has players.

I agree!  Fire him so we can hire him!  I would love having Wade Phillips as our DC

5 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

Rams should fire Wade Phillips.  His D gave up 31 points and 450 yards to a team whose previous performance (at home against the Bills) netted only 6 points and under 300 yards.

And he actually has players.

Without those lockdown corners healthy his scheme works about as well as anyone elses. 

1 hour ago, artsy said:

I'd take Wade over Old Man Sutton everyday and TWICE on Sundays!!!

How old do you think Wade is? And I like the guy alot but that's not the answer either. Upgrading our secondary will do more than any coaching change in my opinion. But I agree we should do both next year. 

2 hours ago, artsy said:

I'd take Wade over Old Man Sutton everyday and TWICE on Sundays!!!

He's older than Sutton I believe and has ideas from another era.  Isn't he the Wade Phillips who used to be a head coach long ago? If so, his ideas are older than dirt.  I don't think Sutton is particularly good, but he would do no worse than Phillips with the same players. Sutton was considered one of the best when he had a healthy and younger Derrick Johnson and Berry and some other personnel with more experience. It is a very complex zone scheme that requires some experience to execute in the secondary. I'd give Sutton another year of coaching the young guys and another draft before passing that kind of judgment on him.

23 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He's older than Sutton I believe and has ideas from another era.  Isn't he the Wade Phillips who used to be a head coach long ago? If so, his ideas are older than dirt.  I don't think Sutton is particularly good, but he would do no worse than Phillips with the same players. Sutton was considered one of the best when he had a healthy and younger Derrick Johnson and Berry and some other personnel with more experience. It is a very complex zone scheme that requires some experience to execute in the secondary. I'd give Sutton another year of coaching the young guys and another draft before passing that kind of judgment on him.

HAHA No he wasn't

15 minutes ago, Balto said:

HAHA No he wasn't

Whether he was considered one of the best or not, Suttons defenses for three years were really freakin good. They got sacks in bunches, created turnovers more than anyone else in the league and kept opponents from scoring. It's funny how as talent erodes so does the scheme. That said, its a great time to move on next year with likely three early picks all dedicated to defense. That group is just going to keep getting younger so why not get a coach to match. Doesn't mean Andy agrees. And considering our defense has held opponents to a grand total of 6 points in the first quarter this year which has helped to build these big leads, its somewhat understandable. Still I think defenses in general need a fresh approach to this new era of flag football and I'd like to see a young innovative guy personally whos got some fresh ideas. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24845233/seattle-seahawks-stuck-2nd-round-pick-trade-compensation-earl-thomas

Although the Seattle Seahawks are open to trading Pro Bowl safety Earl Thomas, they have refused to budge on their asking price of a 2019 second-round draft pick, league sources tell ESPN.

EDITOR'S PICKS

• r388874_1296x1296_1-1.jpg&w=130&h=130&scale=crop&location=center

Carroll: Seahawks in 'good place' with Thomas

The Seahawks and All-Pro safety Earl Thomas have moved past the issues surrounding his sitting out of practice last week in order to protect himself as he seeks a new contract, coach Pete Carroll said.

It is an asking price the Seahawks are "stuck" on, according to a source.

The Chiefs were unwilling to meet that price but would be interested if the Seahawks were to lower their demands. The Cowboys offered a second-round pick at one point during the preseason, but Seattle wanted more from Dallas, especially considering that the teams were playing in Week 3.

But now that matchup has passed, and Kansas City has remained interested -- with other NFL executives handicapping the Chiefs as the favorite for multiple reasons. The Chiefs have an extra second-round pick from the Rams thanks to their Marcus Peters trade last year. Chiefs general manager Brett Veach is considered aggressive by many, and Kansas City is in the AFC, out of conference for Seattle.

Thomas was a full participant in practice Thursday and Friday after sitting out two practices last week. He was in the lineup for the Seahawks' home opener last Sunday and had two interceptions in their victory over Dallas.

Coach Pete Carroll said earlier this week that the Seahawks and Thomas are "in a good place" despite the star safety's ongoing contract dispute with the team.

Why would KC give up a pick for 1 season? Yes he is excellent. Yes the defense could be a little better but it does not come close to making the D formidable. A send is 5 years of a plus player on a rookie deal. I would not do it even if he signed an expensive extension. Sign him as a free agent 2019 if your going to pay that money. This is still a 2019 Team.

Use the SF 2nd and trade for him.   ET is an elite talent.   The chances of finding a player that can have that kind of impact for the next 3 to 4 years in that draft position are pretty slim.   This current regime doesn't seem to be able to draft defensive players that well so go after an elite proven commodity.   

Archived