Chiefs wanting to trade for Earl Thomas!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Balto said:

Meh I say send a 7th rounder and give him a team friendly long term deal.  Reports are he should be back and gtg before Super Bowl

I’d love to see this...but he is most likely a 3rd round comp as a free agent...Seattle would want no less than that...

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s been paid 40 million by the Seahawks in this contract including 10.4 million this year to give his all as a player. There’s no excuse for his attitude in my opinion.  This seems like karma.  In the end he’s almost certainly headed for Dallas next year. 

I think this one is one the Seahawks. They were trying to trade him away but took the risk. Now he'll leave at the end of the year and probably get a smaller deal than he would have with could only bring in something like a 5th in comp. pick.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I think this one is one the Seahawks. They were trying to trade him away but took the risk. Now he'll leave at the end of the year and probably get a smaller deal than he would have with could only bring in something like a 5th in comp. pick.

He’s still gonna get paid and they will get a third.  This injury from what I’ve read won’t even keep him out of OTAs next season.  No doubt if they really could have gotten a 2nd they could have just sat him. Just not sure they could have plus they are 2-2 not 0-4.  

44 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s still gonna get paid and they will get a third.  This injury from what I’ve read won’t even keep him out of OTAs next season.  No doubt if they really could have gotten a 2nd they could have just sat him. Just not sure they could have plus they are 2-2 not 0-4.  

I'm not sure if they will pay him enough to bring in a 3rd but at least  4th is very likely. However that will be a 2020 pick and they have to pay him for the rest of this season which is about 6-7 million they could have rolled over to the next season. 

Most of the time risks are not that high but playing an unhappy player when negotiating with other teams isn't a good move in general.

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s been paid 40 million by the Seahawks in this contract including 10.4 million this year to give his all as a player. There’s no excuse for his attitude in my opinion.  This seems like karma.  In the end he’s almost certainly headed for Dallas next year. 

Yes and no. Part of the deal is it is a business and players need to get what they can while they can. Part of it is doing just what he did and look at Bell too.  I see his side of it as we both know how a team will discard you once they are done with you and only the guarantee is the part that matters. I know you know all of this but just airing it out. They treat it as business and I think the players are finally using what they can do it too.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Yes and no. Part of the deal is it is a business and players need to get what they can while they can. Part of it is doing just what he did and look at Bell too.  I see his side of it as we both know how a team will discard you once they are done with you and only the guarantee is the part that matters. I know you know all of this but just airing it out. They treat it as business and I think the players are finally using what they can do it too.

I don’t think we are going to agree on this. To me he’s being paid a huge sum of money on a contract he willingly signed and still was intent on undermining the team that gave him the huge contract to begin with. It’s not like this was some small rookie contract the CBA forced him into. 

He had leverage to do what he wanted after the contract expired and that includes had they slapped franchise tag on him.  But at this point he had not yet fulfilled his end of the deal as far as 2018 goes.  

9 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I don’t think we are going to agree on this. To me he’s being paid a huge sum of money on a contract he willingly signed and still was intent on undermining the team that gave him the huge contract to begin with. It’s not like this was some small rookie contract the CBA forced him into. 

He had leverage to do what he wanted after the contract expired and that includes had they slapped franchise tag on him.  But at this point he had not yet fulfilled his end of the deal as far as 2018 goes.  

Yep.  Bad mojo.

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

I'm not sure if they will pay him enough to bring in a 3rd but at least  4th is very likely. However that will be a 2020 pick and they have to pay him for the rest of this season which is about 6-7 million they could have rolled over to the next season. 

Most of the time risks are not that high but playing an unhappy player when negotiating with other teams isn't a good move in general.

Agree completely with this last part. .This is another reason I would credit the Chiefs for trading Peters when and how we did.  They had to know last year it was about to get ugly and I think may have made a deal with him to keep him in line the last month of the season.  And we took less than perceived value to avoid this type of mess.  

I think Thomas was dead wrong but that doesn’t change the reality the Seahawks were dealing with.  And as such they clearly should have sucked it up and just taken a 2019 third rounder if that has been possible.  

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Maybe.  No way of knowing if his injury will heal as expected and the Seahawks have to sit on their hands in FA next year to lock in that 3.

If Thomas has to take a prove it one year deal, they're not getting anything of value.

2 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Maybe.  No way of knowing if his injury will heal as expected and the Seahawks have to sit on their hands in FA next year to lock in that 3.

If Thomas has to take a prove it one year deal, they're not getting anything of value.

Good point. They don't just get the third for losing him. From what I read they expect him to be 100 percent by the Super Bowl because there was no ligament damage. I can't see much chance he has to take a prove it deal but we will see. Again I think this whole deal really makes me feel good or better about how we handled Marcus Peters deal. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Yes but they could have extended him in season. Now so he stays with the team. I am not talking a raise but to get him signed before he is a FA. Something we should have done with Berry and we probably would have got a better deal for it too.

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Good point. They don't just get the third for losing him. From what I read they expect him to be 100 percent by the Super Bowl because there was no ligament damage. I can't see much chance he has to take a prove it deal but we will see. Again I think this whole deal really makes me feel good or better about how we handled Marcus Peters deal. 

This was the same medical staff that expected his leg to heal naturally on its own, which is why it's broken again lol

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

This was the same medical staff that expected his leg to heal naturally on its own, which is why it's broken again lol

I will just put it this way. If they diagnosed it right and its a clean break. This isn't a major injury and he will be fine in a few months. As we know with Justin Houston's diagnosis they are certainly capable of  f*cking that thing up. Personally I'm going to my own doctor and getting a 2nd opinion on anything major if I'm a pro athlete and my livelihood is at stake. 

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

the chiefs medical staff is not much better

I think they are ok.  A lot of the blame is placed on them when it should be on Dr. James Andrews for botching the work.  They are trainers, not surgeons.

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I will just put it this way. If they diagnosed it right and its a clean break. This isn't a major injury and he will be fine in a few months. As we know with Justin Houston's diagnosis they are certainly capable of  f*cking that thing up. Personally I'm going to my own doctor and getting a 2nd opinion on anything major if I'm a pro athlete and my livelihood is at stake. 

Looking back on it, he probably wishes the he had at initial injury.

Rapoport; “From what I am told, the Seahawks, who wanted two twos—they wanted two second-round picks, actually lowered their price to one-second round pick. The Kansas City Chiefs were then in the process of freeing up some money, creating salary cap space to make room for Thomas’ $8.5 million salary. This is something that likely would have happened and Earl Thomas would have been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. He just needed more time. Instead, he went out and broke his leg and now is going to end up on injured reserve. As far as the other parts of this trade, the Chiefs have a lot of really good players they need to pay. It doesn't sound like an extension for Thomas would have been in the cards, but at least the Chiefs would have a really good rental.”

As Rapoport alluded to, the Chiefs have a number of high-quality players to pay. Chris Conley, Mitch Morse and Steve Nelson are all due to become unrestricted free agents in 2019 and Chris Jones, Kendall Fuller, Reggie Ragland and Tyreek Hill are all due to become unrestricted free agents in 2020.

With player holdouts in the NFL trending to the norm, it’s likely the Chiefs would have extended Thomas, who was also due for unrestricted free agency this offseason. That said, he would have been a major upgrade at a position that will once again be primarily manned by Ron Parker and Eric Murray tonight.

There are many questions to be asked stemming from this report, but the three on the forefront of my mind are:

1) What does this mean for the status of Eric Berry and/or Daniel Sorensen?

2) Why in the world, if the Seahawks were so close to this deal, did they not bench Thomas?

3) With it being obvious the Chiefs are looking to upgrade their defense before the October 30 NFL trade deadline, what’s next?

We dodged a bullet.  Did you see him giving the finger to his teammates as they took him of the field in a cart?  We don't need that kind of attitude on our team.  He would have been poison in case of adversity.  This injury may have been the great stroke of luck that teams with Super Bowl aspirations end up getting the year before they win it all. We should not be dealing  for the present.  We need to be financially planning for the future and maintaining team chemistry. 

I still think that Thomas could be in play as a FA signing next year. We will doubtless cut Sorensen and will need a second Safety. I can't believe KC will go into next year with Parker or Murray. The one guy they may want to see more of is Watts. If he balls out the second half of the year then I think we go status quo: Watts and Berry (post surgery cleanup). While we do have a several guys to re-sign, I think Hill will be the the only high dollar guy. Jones and Fuller will want substantial raises and will get them but they won't command top dollar,  I don't believe. We will have a ton of money next year and I predict a lot of FA's will be interested in coming to KC to be part of this ascending franchise. It's clear that Thomas was upset that all of his teammates were shipped off and the defense that was one of the best in the NFL was dismantled before his eyes. He needs a fresh start and he is still a premiere talent.

18 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

I still think that Thomas could be in play as a FA signing next year. We will doubtless cut Sorensen and will need a second Safety. I can't believe KC will go into next year with Parker or Murray. The one guy they may want to see more of is Watts. If he balls out the second half of the year then I think we go status quo: Watts and Berry (post surgery cleanup). While we do have a several guys to re-sign, I think Hill will be the the only high dollar guy. Jones and Fuller will want substantial raises and will get them but they won't command top dollar,  I don't believe. We will have a ton of money next year and I predict a lot of FA's will be interested in coming to KC to be part of this ascending franchise. It's clear that Thomas was upset that all of his teammates were shipped off and the defense that was one of the best in the NFL was dismantled before his eyes. He needs a fresh start and he is still a premiere talent.

So if true...KC signs him..... does this tell KC players that they can act like he did when they are facing free agency?

37 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

So if true...KC signs him..... does this tell KC players that they can act like he did when they are facing free agency?

We have had our own FA problems too before. Hell we have had our players flip off the crowd to recently.

12 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Agreed.  He could have done it like Bell and just not shown up.  Hell, show up by week 10 and you're gold, you get your accrued year.

But he showed up where it counts, the games, and he was playing at a high level.  Frankly in that defense he probably didn't need to practice.

As far as the attitude, there's a lot of defensive players and former defenders from Seattle that are extremely pissed at Pete Carroll.  A lot of them are going on record saying a lot of shitty things about him, most of it being that he is very 2 faced about certain things, including how russell Wilson was the only player he didn't hold accountable and tried to get the team leaders to treat him with kid gloves.

Archived