Chiefs wanting to trade for Earl Thomas!

30 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

I don’t know what you all were thinking but when it was 35 to 16 with nearly 18 minutes left in the game I was pissing in my boots. That’s all on the defense and watching it nearly implode was scary. Murray is the greatest concern out there. Fix it or deal with it and then add it to the never ending list of Chiefs disappointments over these long years. I hope it’s fixed with someone like Thomas and the return of Berry. Why can’t the Chiefs take a damn chance and fix this D? 

Lots of good teams giving up lots of points. This is the NFL. Chiefs need 6 or 7 players on D and 6 or 7 better for depth.  So there is no easy fix.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Lots of good teams giving up lots of points. This is the NFL. Chiefs need 6 or 7 players on D and 6 or 7 better for depth.  So there is no easy fix.

You''re right, but they have to start somewhere.  They won't fix the defense in the next draft, but they can improve it enough to compete and hopefully improve it more the following year.  Getting one capable safety at this point is a start and as I posted earlier, one stop on one series very easily could make a difference in one game or one season.  It depends on cost, not on whether it would fix everything wrong with the D.

I’ve said it many times this off-season!  We should make this deal happen.

one of our 2nds+player(Conley works).  Then give him Berry yearly avg money on a 3-4 year contract.

Pat, Hunt, Hill and our CBs are dirt cheap atm!  We can easily afford Thomas and greatly need him atm.  

12 hours ago, DieHard said:

That would be too rich for my blood. Why set yourself back that much for a freaking Safety? Plus you still have to pay the man.

I don't know I could live with 2 guys who have lesser roles + a 5th for a rental. Looks like we can compete right now but need just a little help and with all the problems in NE we might have a shot at the SB. Ware + Conley would save about 3 million in cap space and both are FAs at the end of this year and won't be extended as they'll have more value in FA. We would already need some cap space for ET's contract assuming he's not signed to an extension in the trade.

4 hours ago, Balto said:

one of our 2nds+player(Conley works).  Then give him Berry yearly avg money on a 3-4 year contract.

Pat, Hunt, Hill and our CBs are dirt cheap atm!  We can easily afford Thomas and greatly need him atm.  

That is to much imo. He will be a FA at the end of the year and Seattle knows he won't resign with them. I bet they would be happy with a 5th rounder

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

That is to much imo. He will be a FA at the end of the year and Seattle knows he won't resign with them. I bet they would be happy with a 5th rounder

I heard that the cowboys have repeatedly offered a second rounder for Thomas but the hawks have said that it is not enough...guess they are thinking first rounder, if that is the case then he will leave at the end of the season and they will get nothing

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

You''re right, but they have to start somewhere.  They won't fix the defense in the next draft, but they can improve it enough to compete and hopefully improve it more the following year.  Getting one capable safety at this point is a start and as I posted earlier, one stop on one series very easily could make a difference in one game or one season.  It depends on cost, not on whether it would fix everything wrong with the D.

Actually, I don't think it will take that many.  We have a lot of young guys, and some of these will develop.  I would say we need three, one really good.  Thomas is way too expensive and obviously will not be happy except for money that we need to keep our best guys going forward.  If he does not get that from any team, he will, by definition, be UN-happy.  We don't need an unhappy player.  We need to simply keep outscoring other teams, let the D develop, then make a couple more decent FA pickups and a couple of good draft picks in the next offseason.  With 2 #1 picks, we are sitting pretty.  We can use one of those to get a very good safety in mid-career. 2019 is when a serious championship era becomes a possibility.  We need to keep working for an entire era, not a quick fix that holds us back financially and puts demanding and disgruntled players on our roster.  We have made that mistake enough over the decades.  I don't think Reid and Veatch are going to do that this time.  We have the key ingredient, Mahomes, and we are going to have to pay him unbelievable money in a few years.  NO on Earl Thomas.

38 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

I heard that the cowboys have repeatedly offered a second rounder for Thomas but the hawks have said that it is not enough...guess they are thinking first rounder, if that is the case then he will leave at the end of the season and they will get nothing

They will likely get a 3rd in the end or a 4th (worst case scenario). However 2020 picks shouldn't have as much value for now so a late pick in 2019 might make more sense for them if packaged right. 

46 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

That was the case in the off-season.  The price shouldn't be as much now since it's week 4.  At least, that's what I would think, but who knows, SEA could still be holding firm on what they wanted in the off-season.

If the Chiefs traded a second rounder for him, it will be with the understanding that he plans on negotiating a long term contract with us.

Paying 2 veteran safeties that kind of money is a lot of money to tie up at 1 position. But IF HEALTHY we would have the best safety tandem in the league for 2 or 3 years. And this game is all about windows. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

If the Chiefs traded a second rounder for him, it will be with the understanding that he plans on negotiating a long term contract with us.

Paying 2 veteran safeties that kind of money is a lot of money to tie up at 1 position. But IF HEALTHY we would have the best safety tandem in the league for 2 or 3 years. And this game is all about windows. 

I don't think "it will be the understanding that he plans on negotiating", I think a condition of the trade will be he signs an extension before the trade is finalised.

But like you said, it will be a lot of money. He will want more than Berry money so we would be tying up about $25,000,000 in safety money for the next  few years.  Seems like a lot. 

Why the hell didn't we sign Tre Boston like I wanted. It would have costed us $1,500,000 this year and been way better than anything else that is on the field.  

Either rent ET for the season for a low round pick or negotiate an extension and pay what it's worth.  Since most players and their agents tend to overvalue their worth, the second choice may not be possible.  I'm one who usually takes a long term view, but the thought keeps coming back. "What if the Chiefs had ET in their lineup for the last two playoff games?  Probably they would have won both of them."  Just thinking.  Thomas and Parker or Murray and Parker?  Hmmm

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

With 2 #1 picks, we are sitting pretty.  We can use one of those to get a very good safety in mid-career. 2019 is when a serious championship era becomes a possibility.  We need to keep working for an entire era, not a quick fix that holds us back financially and puts demanding and disgruntled players on our roster.  We have made that mistake enough over the decades.  I don't think Reid and Veatch are going to do that this time.  We have the key ingredient, Mahomes, and we are going to have to pay him unbelievable money in a few years.  NO on Earl Thomas.

I think you meant two #2 picks

Here's an update from Herbie Toepe:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966260/article/chiefs-continue-to-inquire-about-trade-for-earl-thomas?campaign=Twitter_atn

Interest in Thomas doesn't reflect Berry's status.

Article says the Chiefs expect Berry can do some sort of activities/practice starting this week.

32 minutes ago, dksww said:

Here's an update from Herbie Toepe:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966260/article/chiefs-continue-to-inquire-about-trade-for-earl-thomas?campaign=Twitter_atn

Interest in Thomas doesn't reflect Berry's status.

Article says the Chiefs expect Berry can do some sort of activities/practice starting this week.

Berry has been day to day for 45 days.  Time to give it up and plan without him in the lineup.  If he comes back, then it's a bonus.  Right now, the Chiefs are operating with substandard safety play. They need help.

14 hours ago, Balto said:

Tyreek needs to be extended now. Same with Chris Jones. Those are bigger priorities to me than trading away and early pick and giving Thomas big money.  That said I have always maintained Earl Thomas is a better player than even Eric Berry. If he's motivated, someone is gonna get an impact player.  

57 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Tyreek needs to be extended now. Same with Chris Jones. Those are bigger priorities to me than trading away and early pick and giving Thomas big money.  That said I have always maintained Earl Thomas is a better player than even Eric Berry. If he's motivated, someone is gonna get an impact player.  

Agree with this. If a third gets Thomas, I’m game, but if it requires a second, no thanks.  This team isn’t just a Thomas away from the Lombardi on that side of the ball, which in my eyes makes that second round pick much more valuable because of position as well as cap considerations moving forward. That pick could go toward a long term fix at the safety position in the draft at a reduced price tag.  We have a huge window with someone as talented as Mahomes and I’m not willing to start mortgaging the future to go for broke in his first season as a starter. 

8 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Agree with this. If a third gets Thomas, I’m game, but if it requires a second, no thanks.  This team isn’t just a Thomas away from the Lombardi on that side of the ball, which in my eyes makes that second round pick much more valuable because of position as well as cap considerations moving forward. That pick could go toward a long term fix at the safety position in the draft at a reduced price tag.  We have a huge window with someone as talented as Mahomes and I’m not willing to start mortgaging the future to go for broke in his first season as a starter. 

I just don't agree with going all rookie bang for your buck contracts.  I think your correct in that we have a huge window with Mahomes but not when he starts getting paid $30M a year!  We need to strike now just like Seattle did a few years ago when Wilson was dirt cheap.  Now look at them after they had to pay Wilson! 

We have the cap for Thomas now...We won't have the cap for a elite FA/traded player in a couple more years.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was asked about the prospect of making an in-season trade for someone like Thomas in his weekly Monday press conference.

“I've left that up to Brett (Veach),” Reid said. “He’s aware of personality—he deals with all that stuff. He’s got all the data on that. I remember one time when I was at Green Bay (1992-98) and we came back here and played the Chiefs and (Derrick) Thomas put (Don) Beebe in the fifth row as he did a shallow crossing route and we were out of receivers. We went and got Andre Rison—and [we] ended up going to the Super Bowl and winning the Super Bowl.”

According to The Baltimore Sun, the Packers claimed Rison off of waivers from the Jacksonville Jaguars. Reid was the Packers offensive line coach at the time.

“Kansas City destroyed us in that game and [Thomas] had about five sacks—and unbelievable number. I was a young coach and this was an in-season pickup that we had and it worked out for us. It kind of showed me how those kinds of things work at this level, and so I’ve always kept my eyes open for that and been OK with that—I’ve been open to that. So when I was making those decisions, I was open to it.

“I have full trust in Brett if he decides whoever that person is. Right now, we don’t have anything and we’re not in that—that’s not where we’re at. I know the rumor’s out there, but that’s not where we’re at.”

Reid was asked later in the press conference to confirm he was talking about Thomas.

“There are some rumors out there, I guess,” Reid answered to a laughing media room.

The 2018 NFL trade deadline is on October 30 at 3 p.m. Ar

35 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I agree entirely.  You said it better than I could.

12 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Never trade for a guy with higher than round 5 picks if he is only going to be around one season or less. It isn’t worth being short sighted right now.

I'm all for making some moves to go for it now but you are right.  It isn't worth being short sighted. 

Archived