Chiefs wanting to trade for Earl Thomas!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Balto said:

I just don't agree with going all rookie bang for your buck contracts.  I think your correct in that we have a huge window with Mahomes but not when he starts getting paid $30M a year!  We need to strike now just like Seattle did a few years ago when Wilson was dirt cheap.  Now look at them after they had to pay Wilson! 

We have the cap for Thomas now...We won't have the cap for a elite FA/traded player in a couple more years.

The point here is do we have CAP for Thomas, Jones and Tyreek to all get contracts in the next 6 months?  Short term we dont have much to work with this year. And giving up 2nd round picks are pretty high risk because you can very low paid key contributors if you draft well. 

Rumors are we tried to trade for Thomas during the summer but Veach balked on price. Good for him.  

I think we will have more than enough for cap space next year and can make it work if we want plus resign our own and still go after a FA need. Over 50 million cap space and less than 500k in dead money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/2019/

2019 Cap Totals

2019 NFL Salary Cap $187,000,000
2018 Rollover Cap $8,298,991
Adjustment $0
Adjusted Salary Cap $195,298,991
All Contracts $144,090,808
Dead Cap $464,855
Practice Squad Money $0
Total Cap $144,555,663
Chiefs Cap Space ($50,743,328)

3 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

This guy is Peters all over again. He will not practice or risk injury without a contract extension. Not a team guy. Pass. Reid already implied they are not interested in him.

oh they're interested, but just not for the sky high price SEA is demanding. 

He wants to play for Dallas and will sign there after this season.  I don’t see him negotiating a contract with KC if there is a trade.  

So, if they rent him for the rest of the year for a 5th, or lower, then I am fine with it.  Anything higher will piss me off.

7 minutes ago, SEMO said:

He wants to play for Dallas and will sign there after this season.  I don’t see him negotiating a contract with KC if there is a trade.  

So, if they rent him for the rest of the year for a 5th, or lower, then I am fine with it.  Anything higher will piss me off.

Watch his interview yesterday. He wont practice with the team without a new contract. Likely wont risk injury, tackling , either. So do you want this on the current roster? Sets an example for everyone else.

40 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

This guy is Peters all over again. He will not practice or risk injury without a contract extension. Not a team guy. Pass. Reid already implied they are not interested in him.

yeah i read up some more on thomas, he is missing practices to try to get his way and he wants to end up in dallas so we would get another peters clone...

changed my mind...don't need him screwing up the team chemistry and poisoning younger players...

21 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Watch his interview yesterday. He wont practice with the team without a new contract. Likely wont risk injury, tackling , either. So do you want this on the current roster? Sets an example for everyone else.

I think it’s zero percent chance KC does the trade without a contract.  Probably 20% with a contract.

I think Veach has a plan and isn’t going to blow that plan up to get Thomas.  But at the same time with Berry’s injury and the offense being as advanced as it is we need involved in the discussion just in case the price drops to a reasonable level.  Aside from that Veach needs to walk away just like he did in August.  Our terms or at least something close or nothing. 

The Chiefs are as good as any team in the league right now.

go all in. Get Earl Thomas and Eric Berry on the field together. Give Thomas a 3 year extension that ends right when we pay Mahomes.

we won’t be able to do this in 3 years when Mahomes gets paid, so do it now.

Seriously now is the time to go all for a Championship. This offense is historically good and the defense with Berry and Thomas make it very difficult for teams to pass. 

Please please do this. We really can make the SB THIS YEAR.

Seriously. We can afford Thomas for the next 3 years.

hes only 29. How often is an elite player like this available? 

Tyreek is the only player we have to extend on offense the next 3 seasons. Jones and maybe Fuller is it in defense.

give this offense a defense with Eric Bery and Earl Thomas and they will get us to the Super Bowl.

Hill's extension will probably replace Watkins' deal with a small cap hit in the first year followed by a big salary going forward. So in reality we don't have to pay anyone new except for Mahomes who doesn't have any decent cap hit for the next 4 years. 

Thomas on a 3-year deal for a mid to late round pick makes a lot of sense. We are already set to spend our 1st on a DB next year, such a move gives us some flexibility in the draft. BTW I'm not against other FAs at this point either, we need to find some help to get rid of Murray.

10 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

yeah i read up some more on thomas, he is missing practices to try to get his way and he wants to end up in dallas so we would get another peters clone...

changed my mind...don't need him screwing up the team chemistry and poisoning younger players...

Exactly. Diva......Pass

11 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

I don't like the way Thomas is handling this but i wouldn't call him a Peters clone either.      To my knowledge Thomas hasn't done half the stuff Peters has done in a career that he has played almost twice as long.   Never has walked off the field before the game was over , thrown flags into the stands,  kicked a football into the stands or got into with the coaches on the sideline and oh yea he isn't afraid to tackle.  Peters has been fined for 140 thousand for stupid crap during games while thomas isn't even at 50.    Carroll to my knowledge has never had to suspend him cause of his attitude something Peters has had to have done with him.   He also would bring an attitude from a D that was a big part of winning a SB,  something this D needs and nobody on this D has.   

I love Eric Berry but remember he came out and said he would not play under the franchise tag and said he would hold out all season if need be unless he got a long term deal.   He also didn't exactly give the team any kind of home town discounts when he got that long term deal even though the team paid him when they didn't have to during his bout with cancer and was offended at the idea of an insurance policy that would protect the team in the event cancer came back.    I bring Berry up cause the business side of it didn't show Berry to be a team guy at all.   

If Thomas would sign a deal here and he isn't just a 1 year rental then i would have no problem taking on Thomas for the right price cause him and Peters are no where close to the same player.   

1 hour ago, Okiechief1 said:

I don't like the way Thomas is handling this but i wouldn't call him a Peters clone either.      To my knowledge Thomas hasn't done half the stuff Peters has done in a career that he has played almost twice as long.   Never has walked off the field before the game was over , thrown flags into the stands,  kicked a football into the stands or got into with the coaches on the sideline and oh yea he isn't afraid to tackle.  Peters has been fined for 140 thousand for stupid crap during games while thomas isn't even at 50.    Carroll to my knowledge has never had to suspend him cause of his attitude something Peters has had to have done with him.   He also would bring an attitude from a D that was a big part of winning a SB,  something this D needs and nobody on this D has.   

I love Eric Berry but remember he came out and said he would not play under the franchise tag and said he would hold out all season if need be unless he got a long term deal.   He also didn't exactly give the team any kind of home town discounts when he got that long term deal even though the team paid him when they didn't have to during his bout with cancer and was offended at the idea of an insurance policy that would protect the team in the event cancer came back.    I bring Berry up cause the business side of it didn't show Berry to be a team guy at all.   

If Thomas would sign a deal here and he isn't just a 1 year rental then i would have no problem taking on Thomas for the right price cause him and Peters are no where close to the same player.   

Seems Berry played it smart by getting that contract too.  How many games has he played?

15 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The point here is do we have CAP for Thomas, Jones and Tyreek to all get contracts in the next 6 months?  Short term we dont have much to work with this year. And giving up 2nd round picks are pretty high risk because you can very low paid key contributors if you draft well. 

Rumors are we tried to trade for Thomas during the summer but Veach balked on price. Good for him.  

I think the BIG thing that stands out here is "if you draft well".  Its not a clear cut for sure thing that if Veach takes a safety with the 2nd rounder Seattle wants for Thomas becomes a elite player like Thomas.  Hell its not a sure thing he would even become a starter.  Look at Kpass....Its gonna be at least 3 years into the NFL before he really gets a chance.  I'd much rather go out and get the 1st or 2nd best safety in the NFL and lock him down for the next 3-4 years!  Hell then Veach could do what he does best and grab a project safety in the mid rounds to learn behind Thomas and Berry....Not bad teachers haha

GO GET EARL!!!!

Archived