Chiefs wanting to trade for Earl Thomas!

Ok I was gonna argue that we should of traded and still should BUT if reports are true about giving up a 2nd rounded for a 1 year rental and not sign to a long term deal......I would of flipped my lid!

i still say trade for him, which shows him loyalty and give him a long term contract 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Balto said:

Ok I was gonna argue that we should of traded and still should BUT if reports are true about giving up a 2nd rounded for a 1 year rental and not sign to a long term deal......I would of flipped my lid!

i still say trade for him, which shows him loyalty and give him a long term contract 

At this point offer a 6th rounder give this man some money.  Our Safeties suck so bad!

ET's value has gone down a lot in the last few days, but he still would be worth a multi year contract at the right price.  If the Chiefs signed him next year, their defense could go from pathetic to sorta okay.  That, along with a top CB draftee, Berry's return, and some middle help could get the Chiefs deep into the playoffs.  Not likely to happen, but with the offense they have, we can hope.

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

ET's value has gone down a lot in the last few days, but he still would be worth a multi year contract at the right price.  If the Chiefs signed him next year, their defense could go from pathetic to sorta okay.  That, along with a top CB draftee, Berry's return, and some middle help could get the Chiefs deep into the playoffs.  Not likely to happen, but with the offense they have, we can hope.

Not sure what they think of Nelson but he's a free agent after this season and Fuller seems to be the only starting caliber CB on the roster for 2019. Berry is the only Safety so we basically need 3 starters at secondary for next year. I'm in favor of keeping Nelson for something like what Mitchell got from the Browns, but that still leaves a CB and Safety as urgent needs. Thomas at the right price makes a lot of sense assuming he recovers completely. He excelled playing with Chancellor and should be even better with Berry.

If the reports are correct we were planning on giving up a 2nd for him and were in the process of clearing cap space. If that's the case I'm pretty sure Veach is looking to trade for a DB at this point and Safety seems more likely. 

There's not much out there at this point.  Certainly a starter quality DB seems out of the question.  One issue is whether the Chiefs try to make a run this season or plan longer term for building the defense.  Trading away draft picks to fill the roster this season seems like a bad idea considering how much they need to be competitive.  I'd say they should look for an impact FA in the off season and draft defense next April.

Overall Nelson looked good so far this year, even did great against Brown. Has both ups and downs but IMO he's our best in man coverage, which might not mean much. Wouldn't be surprised if Veach is talking extension with his agent.

If we trade for someone at this point it'll probably be a likely FA that the Chiefs are targeting. Basically giving up a pick to have exclusive rights to the guy and getting some mileage out of him in this season as well. 4th is actually a good price in such situations as it's early enough to lure trading partners but also late enough not to hurt the future but unfortunately we don't have it. Late 3rd is high IMO but if the staff believes in the squad's playoff potential I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull the trigger. We are terrible at developing DBs already so might as well give up the pick for a proven one.

Archived