CAN WE PLEASE FIRE SUTTON????

I'm tired of it.  I'm sick of blowing huge leads because of prevent defense and just letting RBs and TEs run wide open over the middle of the field for first down after first down.

I don't understand the philosophy.   There's no point in having this crazy awesome offense that puts teams in huge holes on the scoreboard only to play prevent defense and let them chew up yards and get points instead of bringing constant pressure on the QB.

9 minutes ago, dksww said:

I'm tired of it.  I'm sick of blowing huge leads because of prevent defense and just letting RBs and TEs run wide open over the middle of the field for first down after first down.

I don't understand the philosophy.   There's no point in having this crazy awesome offense that puts teams in huge holes on the scoreboard only to play prevent defense and let them chew up yards and get points instead of bringing constant pressure on the QB.

If anything this offense should be encouraging the defense to be more aggressive as we can put on points relatively easy. 

56 minutes ago, dksww said:

3-0 would be a good point for having a crazy awesome offense. I prefer to focus on how fun it is watching the offense. I actually do not watch the defense play. I pause the game as soon as Mahomes finishes red zone success. I wait to see when they get the ball back and fast forward. Limits my exposure to negativity.

Just now, FANATIC said:

3-0 would be a good point for having a crazy awesome offense. I prefer to focus on how fun it is watching the offense. I actually do not watch the defense play. I pause the game as soon as Mahomes finishes red zone success. I wait to see when they get the ball back and fast forward. Limits my exposure to negativity.

lol, I switched over to Tiger while our D was on the field!

Yes, the scheme sucks,  and I am all for replacing the DC, but the defensive players have to have some accountability here...  Bob Sutton did not whiff on any tackles, but just about everyone else did!

Greg Robinson was replaced by Gunther Cunningham and got similar results from pretty much the same cast of players...  

My point is, if the players don't execute their most basic assignments,  it wont matter who the DC is...

The defensive players have to own their sloppy play much more than the coaching staff...

I remember how, year after year in the 70s and 80s, the Chiefs would draft high draft pick that would fail.  Was it the players all these years, or the fact that the Chiefs we so much of a joke that they could only hire clueless hacks who couldn't develop them?  I think the latter.  I wonder, how has the majority of KC defensive draft picks done since Sutton has come here? 

7 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

I remember how, year after year in the 70s and 80s, the Chiefs would draft high draft pick that would fail.  Was it the players all these years, or the fact that the Chiefs we so much of a joke that they could only hire clueless hacks who couldn't develop them?  I think the latter.  I wonder, how has the majority of KC defensive draft picks done since Sutton has come here? 

Ever since Reid/Sutton took over we have Jones and Nelson who have been drafted and still are on the team performing at a decent level. Peters came out as a solid prospect and didn't improve his tackling in 3 years. I think it's safe to assume that coaching is the problem. 

Reid has the final responsibility.  Maybe his loyalty prevents making changes are should be obvious, but the final blame rests on him.

Sutton either thinks he doesn't have the players to rush and cover or just doesn't believe in pressure as opposed to playing eight back.  He's also responsible for managing the assistants who should be coaching the younger players up.  Aside from Chris Jones, what player on defense has the Chiefs drafted, developed, and played regularly?  Ford?  Why are so many players out of position?  Why are they blowing so many tackles?  Someone isn't doing the job.

Lastly, the players just may not have the talent.  Speaks and Nnadi have made zero impact and that goes back to lack of development, but also,maybe they just aren't good enough to start.  Did Sutton have the say on drafting them, fail to train them, or put them in a scheme where they won't thrive?  

29 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Reid has the final responsibility.  Maybe his loyalty prevents making changes are should be obvious, but the final blame rests on him.

It's all about loyalty, which has long haunted this franchise.  Clark is loyal to Reid and won't question his decisions.  And Andy is loyal to Bob, even when he obviously shouldn't be.

I do agree there's more than just scheme at work here, it's about technique and coaching these guys up, that's not all on Bob.  But a lot of it is.

3 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

It's all about loyalty, which has long haunted this franchise.  Clark is loyal to Reid and won't question his decisions.  And Andy is loyal to Bob, even when he obviously shouldn't be.

I do agree there's more than just scheme at work here, it's about technique and coaching these guys up, that's not all on Bob.  But a lot of it is.

That's blasphemy, you MUST blame Sutton and only Sutton.😉

I hate to say it, but I don't think we went to a prevent defense at the end of the game.  We were getting pressure in the pass rush, the secondary is just that bad. We can't cover a tight end to save our life.  That one play Garappolo was under pressure and just blindly lobbed the ball to a spot on the field that he knew Kittles would be running to; sure enough he was wide open for a big gain. The secondary can't cover and so far they can't tackle.  It is bad.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

That's blasphemy, you MUST blame Sutton and only Sutton.😉

I don't feel like anyone here believes that, joking or not.  I think most people feel like whatever other factors are involved, Sutton is not part of the solution.  We could fire him and it might be a lateral move.  But I doubt it could get worse, and it might improve.  Why not try?

20 minutes ago, West said:

Tackling and Missed assignments are killing us.....I put the blame on:

1. Coaches 50%

2. Players 50% 

Berry would help on the missed assignments and blown coverage.

Somebody needs to teach them how to wrap up.

w

As I posted in another thread, it's not just the Chiefs.  There are so many missed tackles by all teams that something has changed.  Either tackling isn't taught, the players are to cautious, or the runners/receivers are just such good athletes that it's harder to wrap them up.  Whatever, the coaches should address it.  It's disgusting to watch so many 3-5 yard gains turn into 12 yards or intermediate receptions turn into long gainers only because several defenders don't do their job. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

As I posted in another thread, it's not just the Chiefs.  There are so many missed tackles by all teams that something has changed.  Either tackling isn't taught, the players are to cautious, or the runners/receivers are just such good athletes that it's harder to wrap them up.  Whatever, the coaches should address it.  It's disgusting to watch so many 3-5 yard gains turn into 12 yards or intermediate receptions turn into long gainers only because several defenders don't do their job. 

I think it's a little bit of all of the above, probably.  In addition, teams have so much less time to practice that teams are still rounding themselves into shape in September.  It's an extended preseason.  It used to be that the defenses were ahead of the offenses early on in the season, I think that's flipped in recent years.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

CBA is some of it relating to league wide.   You only have so many padded practices thru the course of the season.  When they do put on the pads it's probably not a point of emphasis .  IMO early in the season is where it shows up the most because of how limited they are with what they can do.   

Majority of these guys have been playing organized football since jr high which is probably 10 plus years.    At the professional level you shouldn't have to teach them how to tackle and wrap up,  they should already know. 

Archived