Article on Houston & Ford. Time to move on?

Good take on these two guys. My take is in the new NFL do not give defensive players the big bucks contracts Let them move on. Too many injuries. Look at JJ Watt & Houston.

Film review: Justin Houston and Dee Ford against the 49ers

Matt Lane locks himself in The Lab to give us some answers about the Chiefs edge rushers

By Matt.Lane  Sep 26, 2018, 2:15pm CDT

A bit too focused on pass rush but good points in that area. Not sure if I consider Ford the main attraction though, loses pretty much every time in power rush.

We are already moving on from Ford this year and can't replace 2 guys in a season so will probably keep Houston for another year and have a fresh set of OLBs in 2020.

17 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Anyone know what the cap story is if Houston is cut next year? If its not a killer I would cut him. He is not a difference maker/impact player  and will be another year older.

7 million in dead money. Not a smart move to send him packing with no replacement. He'll likely leave the year after.

They're not cutting Houston.  The Chiefs drop off about $18 million in dead money in 2019 so there's no way they're going to add back almost half that to cut Houston.  Maybe they can ask him to re-structure?

Plus, you'd have to find a replacement.  Houston isn't the problem, it's how the num nuts DC uses him.

They'll for sure let Ford walk and I would consider signing Shane Ray who won't be expensive to replace him.

5 hours ago, dksww said:

They're not cutting Houston.  The Chiefs drop off about $18 million in dead money in 2019 so there's no way they're going to add back almost half that to cut Houston.  Maybe they can ask him to re-structure?

Plus, you'd have to find a replacement.  Houston isn't the problem, it's how the num nuts DC uses him.

They'll for sure let Ford walk and I would consider signing Shane Ray who won't be expensive to replace him.

Listen I'm a Mizzou honk so of course I like Shane ray but he can't stay on the field.

14 minutes ago, xen said:

Listen I'm a Mizzou honk so of course I like Shane ray but he can't stay on the field.

He's on a limited role with Denver right now so maybe that will keep him healthy and we can get as so next off-season.

He won't be expensive and has good upside is why I think he would be a good addition.

Loved this line below from that article. Had to make some people squirm to suggest Sutton actually does some positive things. Really good article and something to really think about going forward overall. Thanks for posting.

Bob Sutton’s defensive scheme — which moves him around and sometimes drop him into coverage — helps, as do Chris Jones and Ford.

Look at how much money is wasted defensively between Houston, Ford and Berry.  Of the 3, we're getting the most production from Houston, but that's not saying much.  I'm not saying Houston isn't a good player, but his contract is really, really bad.  Same with Berry.  

7 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Look at how much money is wasted defensively between Houston, Ford and Berry.  Of the 3, we're getting the most production from Houston, but that's not saying much.  I'm not saying Houston isn't a good player, but his contract is really, really bad.  Same with Berry.  

The new NFL is offense and special teams. Look at the Rams & Vikes tonight. Offense and a mobil QB wins. Goff vs Cousins. Goff Mobile Cousins not as much.

17 hours ago, dksww said:

Why? The guy has had 2 total sacks since 2016. If Speaks cant produce more than a sack a year then our scouting dept is seriously lacking. 

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Why? The guy has had 2 total sacks since 2016. If Speaks cant produce more than a sack a year then our scouting dept is seriously lacking. 

He didn't play is why.  I just think he would come cheap and has good upside.  I'm not counting on Sutton being here next season so Speaks will be used differently because he is NOT an OLB at all.

10 minutes ago, dksww said:

He didn't play is why.  I just think he would come cheap and has good upside.  I'm not counting on Sutton being here next season so Speaks will be used differently because he is NOT an OLB at all.

I agree that Speaks doesn't look to be a good fit at OLB. He has way too much physical way to go, might be easier for him to settle in a different spot. May be they want him to become an OLB after going through the offseason similar to what Bailey did in the day. However any change in DC will definitely bring in some position shuffling among players.

33 minutes ago, dksww said:

You really think Sutton is the one who is the catalyst behind moving Tanoh and Speaks to OLB? Seems like to big of a decision for him to make alone. 

28 minutes ago, dksww said:

Agree 100%. Trying to force a square peg into a round hole. I am tired of the 34. I really hope the new DC runs a 43 where him and Kpass can play with their hands in the dirt.

I have zero doubt Houston can make this transition as he is a fantastic run defender. Jones is talented enough to play in any scheme as well and will be fine kicking inside and play the under. Plus we can get ODaniel on the field, as ge is ideally suited to play "Will" in a 43. 

The other good thing about this would be the fact that Fords issues as a run defender would be magnified. So letting him walk and freeing up 8 mill would be a virtual no brainer. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

You really think Sutton is the one who is the catalyst behind moving Tanoh and Speaks to OLB? Seems like to big of a decision for him to make alone. 

No, but he's responsible for not getting them on the field over scrubs like Terrance Smith and Zombo in the past.  We still haven't seen C. Ward and Tremon Smith get many reps on defense, either.  Even if it's worse than what's out there, you still gotta try.

Our defensive scheme sucks and barring a miracle, no matter what happens this year we need to move on from Sutton.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agree 100%. Trying to force a square peg into a round hole. I am tired of the 34. I really hope the new DC runs a 43 where him and Kpass can play with their hands in the dirt.

I have zero doubt Houston can make this transition as he is a fantastic run defender. Jones is talented enough to play in any scheme as well and will be fine kicking inside and play the under. Plus we can get ODaniel on the field, as ge is ideally suited to play "Will" in a 43. 

The other good thing about this would be the fact that Fords issues as a run defender would be magnified. So letting him walk and freeing up 8 mill would be a virtual no brainer. Thoughts?

Exactly, move on from Sutton, get an aggressive 4-3 scheme installed, get players like you mentioned back in their natural positioning and roll with it.

Let Ford walk and sign Shane Ray for cheaper.  Ray is also a 4-3 OLB.  The front 7 would pretty much be set and they could focus on the secondary and front 7 depth in FA and the draft.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:55 AM, FANATIC said:

Anyone know what the cap story is if Houston is cut next year? If its not a killer I would cut him. He is not a difference maker/impact player  and will be another year older.

I would try and trade him for something first, then cut him.

13 hours ago, moons314 said:

Amen!!

1/3 of the CAP on Berry and Houston, and their impact is minimal. Try and trade them both!

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, dksww said:

Meh they could cut/trade him after this season and only add $5M in dead money BUT would add about $15M to the salary cap!  So would net about $10M.  Would just have to ask....Can we replace him for $10M or less?  I honestly don't think so ATM

22 minutes ago, Balto said:

Meh they could cut/trade him after this season and only add $5M in dead money BUT would add about $15M to the salary cap!  So would net about $10M.  Would just have to ask....Can we replace him for $10M or less?  I honestly don't think so ATM

New NFL is offense anyway. One good defensive player, not awesome, on a field with below avg talent is a waste. I think you cut all the older guys on defense and start fresh with young talent. This way you keep the offense together for 5-10- years while building a cheaper slightly above avg defense. Cutting old guys means Sutton too. Lets get a young DC.

Archived