Article on Houston & Ford. Time to move on?

30 minutes ago, Balto said:

You look at the team on paper(contracts) and you would think we were a team with a great defense and a young not so great yet Offense.

Yup, that's why Im in the trade'em both camp. Both Berry and Houston have not been impact players for what??? 3 years now. 

Houston has played hard since he got paid, unlike Von Miller. And while I love EB, he just can't stay on the field. The defense has been limping along without either of them having an impact, so when Berry is ready to, why not try and trade them while they still have some value and free up some loot??

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Meh they could cut/trade him after this season and only add $5M in dead money BUT would add about $15M to the salary cap!  So would net about $10M.  Would just have to ask....Can we replace him for $10M or less?  I honestly don't think so ATM

Houston is a very good players, it's a dumb football and financial move for the chiefs to make. 

3 hours ago, FANATIC said:

New NFL is offense anyway. One good defensive player, not awesome, on a field with below avg talent is a waste. I think you cut all the older guys on defense and start fresh with young talent. This way you keep the offense together for 5-10- years while building a cheaper slightly above avg defense. Cutting old guys means Sutton too. Lets get a young DC.

Problem with that is keeping at the min salary cap limit if we cut all our older expensive D guys haha.  Will just have way to much cap space left haha

Regardless Houston doesn't make sense to cut/trade until after 2019 and the same goes for Berry.   

5 hours ago, Balto said:

Meh they could cut/trade him after this season and only add $5M in dead money BUT would add about $15M to the salary cap!  So would net about $10M.  Would just have to ask....Can we replace him for $10M or less?  I honestly don't think so ATM

Exactly. He is our best defensive player. I’m letting Ford walk and taking the comp pick and breaking in Tanoh as starter in 2019 with Houston on the other side.  I’m drafting a safety and corner in the first two rounds while extending Fuller and Jones. 

I like Nelson but needs to play ball and be paid as nickel to stay. So likely another comp pick. And I’m moving Speaks into a dline rotation.  Release Sorenson. 

Pretty spot on. Houston is a good player, but he is paid to be the most dominant defensive player in the league. There is no other player on offensive or defense except for a few quarterbacks the have a cap number higher than Houston. 

Next year it costs 21mill to keep him and 7 mill to cut him. That is a 14mill diiference. The quest is, is he worth 14mill. I think that will be determined by the rest of the season.

4 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Pretty spot on. Houston is a good player, but he is paid to be the most dominant defensive player in the league. There is no other player on offensive or defense except for a few quarterbacks the have a cap number higher than Houston. 

Next year it costs 21mill to keep him and 7 mill to cut him. That is a 14mill diiference. The quest is, is he worth 14mill. I think that will be determined by the rest of the season.

I bet he re does his contract

Archived