Broncos Have One Chance to Beat KC: Article

From the Donkeys web site.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/9/29/17914038/denver-broncos-have-one-chance-against-the-chiefs

Raves about Mahomes. Says Donks need to push their offense, take risks and try to outscore KC vs traditional  BS about control the clock. Really good honest breakdown. My take: This is the new NFL and how awesome is it to have a QB that allows us to compete. Win or lose should be a great game. Hope KC wins!

Divisional games are for the most part always close, it is interesting however, that KC in their last 5 games/wins with Alex Smith at QB averaged just under 30 points a game.

I don't think Denver wants to get into a shootout with us or anyone for that matter and will look to run the ball and control the clock.

44 minutes ago, dksww said:

Divisional games are for the most part always close, it is interesting however, that KC in their last 5 games/wins with Alex Smith at QB averaged just under 30 points a game.

I don't think Denver wants to get into a shootout with us or anyone for that matter and will look to run the ball and control the clock.

I too believe they will try to grind it out and keep the ball out of Mahomes hands. Problem for the Chiefs is that means the D will be completely wiped out by halftime or at best the 4th quarter. 

I agree with the article. If Donks try to control the clock they will fall behind like the other losers unless KC has turnovers.  They will be playing into KC hands. You cant stop the Rams and you cant stop KC. Teams will need to accept its a shootout vs KC. Failing to plan for it will simply be planning to fail. Of course what do I really know? What does anyone really know including the talking heads? Should be a great game. Regardless of the outcome Donks now must envy KC with the premier AFC West QB. Mahomes is the new Elway/Manning.

2 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I too believe they will try to grind it out and keep the ball out of Mahomes hands. Problem for the Chiefs is that means the D will be completely wiped out by halftime or at best the 4th quarter. 

Problem for them is the KC defense is so awful they may still score too quickly. Hard to control the clock when the defense cant stop anything. Long runs or long passes are likely. Its a shootout unless KC  turns the ball over several times.

3 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

Yep. Think back to 2014 when the tables were turned and the Donkeys has the dynamic offense. We almost pulled upset by holding ball for 37 minutes and keeping that O off the field.  Plus they have pass rushers to get to QB before our deeper routes can develop.  I’m wondering if Andy will tweak approach a bit.  

4 hours ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

The Chiefs defense has had way more success in the first halves of games vs their second half performances.

They also have given up the least amount of 3rd down conversions in the league.

If Denver tries a conservative approach early in the game, the Chiefs should be able to get stops and score building an early lead again.

Our run defense has been good so far and only gave up rushing yards in garbage time last week.

I think it favors KC if DEN goes with a conservative, run first approach.  The key will be getting DEN into uncomfortable 3rd downs early in the game.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Yep. Think back to 2014 when the tables were turned and the Donkeys has the dynamic offense. We almost pulled upset by holding ball for 37 minutes and keeping that O off the field.  Plus they have pass rushers to get to QB before our deeper routes can develop.  I’m wondering if Andy will tweak approach a bit.  

If that's the way you want to look at it, then the question becomes is Case Keenum better than Alex Smith.

I say no.

If DEN goes with a conservative approach and Keenum has pedestrian numbers then I don't see how KC can't win 31-17 or 34-20.

Denver's defense still has a good pass rush, but outside Chris Harris there's nothing special in their secondary.

It'll be interesting to see who DEN puts on Hill, Watkins, Kelce and Conley.

1 hour ago, dksww said:

If that's the way you want to look at it, then the question becomes is Case Keenum better than Alex Smith.

I say no.

If DEN goes with a conservative approach and Keenum has pedestrian numbers then I don't see how KC can't win 31-17 or 34-20.

Denver's defense still has a good pass rush, but outside Chris Harris there's nothing special in their secondary.

It'll be interesting to see who DEN puts on Hill, Watkins, Kelce and Conley.

Not sure if your disagreeing their approach is likely to try and control clock or not? Limit our offensive possessions, try to force some obvious passing downs and get their pass rush involved. 

And again our offense is predicated as much on protection as anything else with all the deeper routes we run.  Nobody can cover everyone we have so getting to Mahomes is crucial or he will pick you apart.  

I'm not sure I agree with the writer's plan.  The Chiefs defense is bad, but it only seems to get bad as the game goes on. If they go for it, and have some three & outs that plan can still backfire. I think they just have to disrupt the Chiefs offense. If the broncos defense has success against the Chiefs offense, both ways could work.

I don't know what to think of this game. My emotions of past Broncos teams have me confused. They,  like the Steelers;  always seem to be the team that smacks the Chiefs down just when we think the Chiefs are good.

The difference is Mahomes,  we're facing the Broncos early, and have already played & beat the Steelers. 

2 hours ago, qnet said:

I'm not sure I agree with the writer's plan.  The Chiefs defense is bad, but it only seems to get bad as the game goes on. If they go for it, and have some three & outs that plan can still backfire. I think they just have to disrupt the Chiefs offense. If the broncos defense has success against the Chiefs offense, both ways could work.

I don't know what to think of this game. My emotions of past Broncos teams have me confused. They,  like the Steelers;  always seem to be the team that smacks the Chiefs down just when we think the Chiefs are good.

The difference is Mahomes,  we're facing the Broncos early, and have already played & beat the Steelers. 

Chiefs have outscored opponents 45-6 in the first quarter.  All three games we put the defense on the field first and all three times they got quick stops.  This defense is clearly not good, but they’ve played their role really well  and helped us play from ahead every snap all year so far.  

22 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Chiefs have outscored opponents 45-6 in the first quarter.  All three games we put the defense on the field first and all three times they got quick stops.  This defense is clearly not good, but they’ve played their role really well  and helped us play from ahead every snap all year so far.  

The defense isn't good , as you pointed out, but they are also yielding a lot of yards/points after we have a decent lead, so game situation clearly plays into the performance of our defense.  While we agree it's not a good unit, I don't believe it's nearly as bad as many make it out to be.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

The defense isn't good , as you pointed out, but they are also yielding a lot of yards/points after we have a decent lead, so game situation clearly plays into the performance of our defense.  While we agree it's not a good unit, I don't believe it's nearly as bad as many make it out to be.  

I think you just summed up my thoughts better than me.  And we are playing without  both starting safeties too.  

All that said I think we have the capability of building a legit defense over the next few seasons with a scheme that challenges these new generation offenses. If we can do that with this QB, we are going to be hoisting the Lombardi.  

So while this defense is not the horrific group the 2003 Chiefs had, it’s still hard to have any confidence we can win games when the offense isn’t prolific until proven otherwise.  

Archived