Berry has a bone spur into his Achilles

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

I’ve got something very similar that is very manageable until you actually run on it. You go from pain free to extreme pain in a very short period when it swells. And you aren’t supposed to give any type of cortisone shot to pain in the heel area because it easily can lead to Achilles issues. There is a surgical procedure I’ll bet he can do next offseason. 

That said I recently trained and completed a triathlon with this problem. So it can be done. But pounding those guys take is obviously different level. 

Finally, a diagnosis.  That hurts like hell and threatens the achilles tendon. Most people can treat it conservatively and do ok.  But an NFL player is not "most people."  The stresses on the achilles are obviously much greater.  I think he will need the surgery, which is basically the same as if he snapped his Achilles tendon.  I think the team doctors would be crazy to let him play on it, even after the pain subsides.  He needs to go on IR and have the surgery now to have any chance of playing next season.  I think we will get an announcement that he has been placed on IR for the year.  Maybe some team would take a chance and give us a 5th rounder for him.  Very sad.  Very dumb contract (that we were all cheering about at the time).

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Finally, a diagnosis.  That hurts like hell and threatens the achilles tendon. Most people can treat it conservatively and do ok.  But an NFL player is not "most people."  The stresses on the achilles are obviously much greater.  I think he will need the surgery, which is basically the same as if he snapped his Achilles tendon.  I think the team doctors would be crazy to let him play on it, even after the pain subsides.  He needs to go on IR and have the surgery now to have any chance of playing next season.  I think we will get an announcement that he has been placed on IR for the year.  Maybe some team would take a chance and give us a 5th rounder for him.  Very sad.  Very dumb contract (that we were all cheering about at the time).

100% agree. Do the surgery now, remove the bone spur and get ready for next year. This defense along with Werthers Original calling plays is far from 1 player away from being fixed. 

From what I read...this has no impact on an Achilles rupture...it’s all about pain management...at this point we are winning without him.  If we continue to do so, let him heal as much as possible, bring him back week 16 or 17 to knock the rust off, and use him some him in the playoffs, then get that surgery set up the day after their season ends and get the man back...

50 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

From what I read...this has no impact on an Achilles rupture...it’s all about pain management...at this point we are winning without him.  If we continue to do so, let him heal as much as possible, bring him back week 16 or 17 to knock the rust off, and use him some him in the playoffs, then get that surgery set up the day after their season ends and get the man back...

It HAS an impact on the Achilles tendon.   I'm saying this as a physician.  A Haglund spur pokes backward against the achilles tendon insertion.  If it is a sharp, pointed spur instead of a blunt rounded one, it could tear away at the tendon bit by bit.  If he really puts the stress on it like a safety would, he will wear that tendon ragged, and then it may snap. The tendon is probably already a bit degenerated.  I say cut off the spur now, especially if it is sharp spur.  Reinforce the tendon or use regenerative therapy, then give it 8 months. But I am not Reid or the medical team.  If they think they can treat it conservatively and hope he can get in a few games this season, they are gambling with his career.  Because if the Achilles ruptures near the end of the season, he will be out most of the next.  They would be doing him a disservice to give him ibuprofen or steroid injections, and physical therapy and pray that it will stop hurting long enough for him to get a few games in.  But I am not the one paying him a king's ransom.

11 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It HAS an impact on the Achilles tendon.   I'm saying this as a physician.  A Haglund spur pokes backward against the achilles tendon insertion.  If it is a sharp, pointed spur instead of a blunt rounded one, it could tear away at the tendon bit by bit.  If he really puts the stress on it like a safety would, he will wear that tendon ragged, and then it may snap. The tendon is probably already a bit degenerated.  I say cut off the spur now, especially if it is sharp spur.  Reinforce the tendon or use regenerative therapy, then give it 8 months. But I am not Reid or the medical team.  If they think they can treat it conservatively and hope he can get in a few games this season, they are gambling with his career.  Because if the Achilles ruptures near the end of the season, he will be out most of the next.  They would be doing him a disservice to give him ibuprofen or steroid injections, and physical therapy and pray that it will stop hurting long enough for him to get a few games in.  But I am not the one paying him a king's ransom.

I hope they sit him til next year. Look at this year as an intensive training session for this new upcoming, explosive offense. Give them all the pressure and force their might each and every game. Make them learn. 

Once the defense is regenerated, a dynasty may begin. 

7 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

I hope they sit him til next year. Look at this year as an intensive training session for this new upcoming, explosive offense. Give them all the pressure and force their might each and every game. Make them learn. 

Once the defense is regenerated, a dynasty may begin. 

Another year off? Another year older? Lost another step? Cap money wasted? If he cant go this year, I sure hope he can, then cut him and move on. Take whatever dead money and put someone else in his place on a rookie deal. Its like the Charles issue. At some point you need to simply cut bait.

2 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Another year off? Another year older? Lost another step? Cap money wasted? If he cant go this year, I sure hope he can, then cut him and move on. Take whatever dead money and put someone else in his place on a rookie deal. Its like the Charles issue. At some point you need to simply cut bait.

Im trying to be optimistic bitch

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Boss said this exact thing caused his own tear. Sounds like espn and others are reporting incorrectly.

Just now, Calichief said:

Easy my friend.

I joke I joke

Bottom line is this defense is lost at leadership and Berry provided that along with hope for the secondary. It wouldn't be smart to play him, possibly ending his career if the injury is this severe. Either trade him like Bil and fanatic said, or simply sit him and hope he can contribute with a more settled Mahomes era. 

It’s surprising that removing a bone spur has such a long recovery time. One positive sign is they didn’t put him on PUP.

Trading him is nearly impossible with that contract and his health. I hour he can return and help out thus year, but I wouldn’t sacrifice next year to do it.

52 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It’s surprising that removing a bone spur has such a long recovery time. One positive sign is they didn’t put him on PUP.

Trading him is nearly impossible with that contract and his health. I hour he can return and help out thus year, but I wouldn’t sacrifice next year to do it.

I think it would only require that length of recovery time if the tendon is already a bit frayed from having a sharp spur poking on it.  If it is,  he should probably have regenerative therapy and wait for the tendon to look completely normal by ultrasound and whether that bump is rounded or sharp.  That would take about 6-12 months. Then, he would have to get in game shape.  It all comes down to what the tendon insertion looks like on ultrasound. I don't think they will tell us that.  But that will determine whether they continue to wait and hope he can play later this season or whether they do surgery and wait for him to play next season prior to making a trade for him.

Archived