Patrick Mahomes

Skillwise Mahomes is elite all around, but what’s really impressive is his determination and competitive attitude. Man the kid is playing like he’s been in the league 5 years. His focus is unreal, his situational game is unreal for his lack of nfl experience. What did Smith and Reid coach this kid into? A guru so far. He had some off throws, but it didn’t bother him. He knew he would do better on the next play, on the next possession, whatever it be he has all the confidence. 

Keep it up kid, the world is only the world. Embrace it and have fun. You know who you are. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 minutes ago, West said:

Yeah, he is walking on water and it appears that he has a slight bit of moisture on his left cleat...

w

I think he could improve his pocket presence a little, but other than that haven't seen many weaknesses. I think Reids playcalling last night was dog duke. No deep shots to keep the safeties honest. That win last night was alllll PATTY MACK!

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Pat could improve his deep ball accuracy a little.  He's missed some huge opportunities with some overthrows.  Could also stand to work within the pocket a little better.

So not a lot but there are some things.

He was great in the pocket last night.  Very impressive footwork.  He has massively improved that in a short time.  No QB is perfectly accurate, but remember, he has no INT's  Part of the reason for that is that on deep throws, he errs on the long side on purpose.  It's calculated.  Even on the intermediate throws, he places it where defenders can't get it...like that pass to Kelce that he couldn't handle.  That was because it was on his back hip.  Mahomes did that on purpose to keep it away from the defender.  Usually Kelce can still grab those and hold on. To have skills and accuracy like that at age 23 is almost unheard of.

6 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He was great in the pocket last night.  Very impressive footwork.  He has massively improved that in a short time.  No QB is perfectly accurate, but remember, he has no INT's  Part of the reason for that is that on deep throws, he errs on the long side on purpose.  It's calculated.  Even on the intermediate throws, he places it where defenders can't get it...like that pass to Kelce that he couldn't handle.  That was because it was on his back hip.  Mahomes did that on purpose to keep it away from the defender.  Usually Kelce can still grab those and hold on. To have skills and accuracy like that at age 23 is almost unheard of.

He struggles a little when he has to step up inside the pocket if the edge rush gets to the outside, which is why he has a tendency to step back than try to roll outside and away from the pressure.  

By no means is that a Pat exclusive thing, as all young QB's struggle with sterping up inside.  Carson Wentz is a 3rd year guy now and still wants to break outside.

The deep passing part is pretty minor and he'll get that down easier as he works with these receivers longer.

As for Kelce, he looked super slow last night.

8 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

He struggles a little when he has to step up inside the pocket if the edge rush gets to the outside, which is why he has a tendency to step back than try to roll outside and away from the pressure.  

By no means is that a Pat exclusive thing, as all young QB's struggle with sterping up inside.  Carson Wentz is a 3rd year guy now and still wants to break outside.

The deep passing part is pretty minor and he'll get that down easier as he works with these receivers longer.

As for Kelce, he looked super slow last night.

^^This.

I thought it was just me, but Kelce looked injured. I mean it looked like he cement shoes on.

1 hour ago, artsy said:

^^This.

I thought it was just me, but Kelce looked injured. I mean it looked like he cement shoes on.

He took a huge hit and was down for  while.  Rib cage, I think.  He was probably subconsciously guarding it.  The high altitude doesn't help for a big guy who has to run, either.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He took a huge hit and was down for  while.  Rib cage, I think.  He was probably subconsciously guarding it.  The high altitude doesn't help for a big guy who has to run, either.

No he looked slow before that hit. There were a couple catches over the middle and he didn't have that burst

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think I've only seen one pass or maybe two that *could* have been intercepted and I was in Week One, and that wasn't a decision mistake. He had one I think that should've been intercepted in Week 17 last year that was in addition to the one that was. Otherwise, nothing close to the gunslinger mistakes. Impressive.

I joked with a friend that I kind of wish he did not play in Week 17. Because then he would have had 14 touchdowns in his first four games instead of 5 and he would have no interceptions now. Of course, we would rather have him have that experience last year. 

I'll take your word for it, guys, regarding Kelce being slow.  I didn't really see camera shots of his routes or of him running, only the final shot of him either catching and running or missing a pass.  Who knows?  Could have been having a problem with the altitude, had a virus, whatever.  The guy is still very young and extremely enthusiastic and hard-playing.  I'm not worried about him at all.

5 hours ago, West said:

Rany Jazayerli @jazayerli

Patrick Mahomes has won two games at Mile High. \

The only Chiefs quarterback to have won more games in Denver is Len Dawson.

Patrick Mahomes has played five games in the NFL.

Of course Alex won his last two starts there too. Andy has simply mastered how to beat these divisional foes.  

1 hour ago, Chiefmanzada said:

He didn't have a catch the first half. If he doesn't get involved early, his attitude fades with his performance. Not his fault, just the way he is. He wants the show from the get go

I don't know about the rest of you.  As for me, I want a guy on our team who wants the ball, wants to win, and wants to be a star every single game.  Those are the kind of players we want.  Yet, the attention being focused on the "phenom" no doubt threatens his quest for being the center of all attention.  He is still a young guy.  At least he isn't throwing temper tantrums and flags at the referees, so far.  But he is hot to win, hot to be the big cheese, hot to get the ball, and still gets a little bit petulant when that doesn't happen.  He just needs to mature, but we would be up a creek without him and other guys with a craving to play football. 

He certainly must have been in those team strategy sessions, when Reid made it clear that with the Bronco's defenders and noise, it wasn't going to be a wide open passing game, that they were going to rely a lot more on Kareem Hunt and ball control.  He knew what the deal was.  He knew what kind of plays he would and wouldn't be getting the ball. He is not the kind of guy who is totally whooped up about being a decoy on certain calls.

3 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

He didn't have a catch the first half. If he doesn't get involved early, his attitude fades with his performance. Not his fault, just the way he is. He wants the show from the get go

Don't know about all that.  I think that may be you reading into things.  Could have just been how they were playing him.  If his attitude is that bad how did he end up leading the team in receptions and yards?  I just think it was a rough game played at 5000 feet above sea level.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't know about the rest of you.  As for me, I want a guy on our team who wants the ball, wants to win, and wants to be a star every single game.  Those are the kind of players we want.  Yet, the attention being focused on the "phenom" no doubt threatens his quest for being the center of all attention.  He is still a young guy.  At least he isn't throwing temper tantrums and flags at the referees, so far.  But he is hot to win, hot to be the big cheese, hot to get the ball, and still gets a little bit petulant when that doesn't happen.  He just needs to mature, but we would be up a creek without him and other guys with a craving to play football. 

He certainly must have been in those team strategy sessions, when Reid made it clear that with the Bronco's defenders and noise, it wasn't going to be a wide open passing game, that they were going to rely a lot more on Kareem Hunt and ball control.  He knew what the deal was.  He knew what kind of plays he would and wouldn't be getting the ball. He is not the kind of guy who is totally whooped up about being a decoy on certain calls.

Yes, Reid can help him out and get him the ball early on. Hill, Hunt, Watkins, Conley, their attitudes and performance we can rely on. Kelce requires more love, like the big baby he can be 

6 minutes ago, xen said:

Don't know about all that.  I think that may be you reading into things.  Could have just been how they were playing him.  If his attitude is that bad how did he end up leading the team in receptions and yards?  I just think it was a rough game played at 5000 feet above sea level.

Well it’s more towards how I feel about him from previous games. Whenever he seemed not himself, it would be due to the lack of attention pertaining to his reception count. I hope I’m wrong, and probably am wrong. I’m not sure

Archived