FIRE Sutton for one play

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now, Chiefmanzada said:

That soft cover 2 zone at the end of the game where thomas had a walkin touchdown. 

Yo, we get it man you don’t have the personnel, but dawg, what about the game? 

You mean the same defense actual players were saying they should be playing?

Whether you like the analyst or not, most have them have played and have forgotten more football than most have ever had.

The D was the right one, the team didn't execute it.

It’s not one game, or one play, it’s bob Sutton’s resume. That’s what I’ve heard no one really say here. In life we are judged by our histories. What do or don’t  along the way.

bob has been around for monumental defensive collapses. 

He should go now. 

Yeah. It’s players not coaching. 22 with that quit on the play and watch Thomas miss a tough catch that would have been a walk in touchdown. So many missed tackles. But they did get some stops. And when it counted. Houston looked good on the right rushing the passer. Even Murray had an amazing pick. That D is over matched from a personnel perspective.

13 minutes ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

You mean the same defense actual players were saying they should be playing?

Whether you like the analyst or not, most have them have played and have forgotten more football than most have ever had.

The D was the right one, the team didn't execute it.

Parker was late getting there, but we shouldn’t allow only one player guarding a whole end of an endzone with no time left. That easy of a touchdown just made me sick to my stomach

When the corner released the receiver, the safety was way late rotating over and out of position, and it nearly cost us the game.  I too wanted out of that defense, because our safeties are just bad.  That said, I completely understand what Sutton was doing for 2 reasons.  1, zone, if executed correctly, keeps you from getting beat deep, and 2, he didn't want PI or holding in straight up man in that situation.  The zone is designed for the offense to be forced to go underneath, get tackled in bounds and keep the clock moving.  I'm perfectly fine with replacing Sutton, but the back end of our defense is such a mess that I don't think it matters.  Our safeties are god awful.

The defense is so inconsistent. I saw lots of bad tackling. I saw opposing players wide open many times. Its like the defenders don't even know where to go at times. And then they will make an amazing play...like the Murray INT or the 4 sacks. They will stonewall a RB on one play and give up a 12 yard run where the back isn't even touched for 10 of it. Some want to say its Sutton. Some want to say its personnel. I think its both.

29 minutes ago, dhitter said:

The defense is so inconsistent. I saw lots of bad tackling. I saw opposing players wide open many times. Its like the defenders don't even know where to go at times. And then they will make an amazing play...like the Murray INT or the 4 sacks. They will stonewall a RB on one play and give up a 12 yard run where the back isn't even touched for 10 of it. Some want to say its Sutton. Some want to say its personnel. I think its both.

I agree.  I think our safeties are horrible and tonight the ILBs played horrible too.   I thought the pass rush was actually a bright spot tonight.   We missed tackle after tackle for a minimal gain that led to some big gains.    Its not Suttons fault some of these guys can't tackle but its Suttons fault for running them back out there snap after snap and game after game.    Where is the fire on this D?   Where is the heart and pride?   Some of you guys act like we don't have talent on D.  We have more than enough talented players to be an avg defense.   Our D currently lacks passion, heart and discipline which reflects bad leadership.   The leaders like Houston and Berry and then ultimately Sutton.   

Bob Sutton actually playcalled his best game all season, but unfortunately for country Bob there is more to being a coordinator than reading off a Denny's menu.

The whole squad looks undisciplined and I just don't see a unit performing.  We traded for one of the best tackling DBs in the NFL that now can't tackle for shit.

Hitchens and Ragland were beyond terrible, the DL was manhandled by the Broncos interior OL.

Dee Ford gallops around like a blind zebra if he isn't edge rushing and Houston isn't giving 100% effort.

This Defense looks completely sloppy more than anything and I think it's time to do more than blame just the talent week in week out.

The Chiefs had some talent in 2009 and looked awful because they had an awful coach in Clancy Pendergast.  Rollo made them a high tier D a year later with only a few adds.

9 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Bob Sutton actually playcalled his best game all season, but unfortunately for country Bob there is more to being a coordinator than reading off a Denny's menu.

The whole squad looks undisciplined and I just don't see a unit performing.  We traded for one of the best tackling DBs in the NFL that now can't tackle for shit.

Hitchens and Ragland were beyond terrible, the DL was manhandled by the Broncos interior OL.

Dee Ford gallops around like a blind zebra if he isn't edge rushing and Houston isn't giving 100% effort.

This Defense looks completely sloppy more than anything and I think it's time to do more than blame just the talent week in week out.

The Chiefs had some talent in 2009 and looked awful because they had an awful coach in Clancy Pendergast.  Rollo made them a high tier D a year later with only a few adds.

^^^^Yes.

It is fair to mention that the defense did have some important stops in the game, the three and out before the go ahead touchdown helped win the game,
like everyone else, i see the yardage being given up and the sloppy tackling, the questionable defensive calls at times in the game, but they do have a good
third down rating.  23 points allowed on the road against a talented division rival ain't that bad.  

7 minutes ago, Evad said:

It is fair to mention that the defense did have some important stops in the game, the three and out before the go ahead touchdown helped win the game,
like everyone else, i see the yardage being given up and the sloppy tackling, the questionable defensive calls at times in the game, but they do have a good
third down rating.  23 points allowed on the road against a talented division rival ain't that bad.  

At some point, and probably more than 2 or 3 times, this defense is going to cost us a win. I think blitzing does cover up some deficiencies in the secondary, but when these guys have to cover for more than 2 sec. (Specifically Scandrick and Murray), we are in deep shit. 

8 minutes ago, artsy said:

At some point, and probably more than 2 or 3 times, this defense is going to cost us a win. I think blitzing does cover up some deficiencies in the secondary, but when these guys have to cover for more than 2 sec. (Specifically Scandrick and Murray), we are in deep shit. 

That is probably true, or at least the fans will blame the defense.  The Broncos had ten offensive possessions, three ended in field goals and three also ended in punts. The defense also created one turnover and stopped one on downs and allowed two TD's ...... That is a pretty balanced result for the defense, I'm not saying they are good, they are not, but if we had NO defense, the Broncos would have scored 70 points  :D

I'm repeating myself, but must ask why the tackling is so bad.  On many plays, especially in the first half, the Donks just ran through and over the defense.  Runners were met head on but were not brought down.  It's all over the league, but the Chiefs seem the worst.  Players should know what to do by the time they reach the NFL.  Can they be coached up on tackling or do we have to live with this all season?

I think the thing is people expect the Defensive players to be perfect at wrapping up, diagnosing and making the stop by the time they reach the NFL and I don't think that's the case at all.

BB will dedicate practice time during the year to work on these things and I don't know if Sutton is doing the same or not, but the results on the field seem to lead towards 'no.'  There has been moments where these dudes are in place to make the stop and they just don't.

I'm not sure if you can single out a positional coach exactly, as this squad does it from top to bottom.  The only consistency from the DLine to the DB's is that ol' Bob oversees it all.  Can't emphasize nearly enough that Kendall Fuller went from being an emerging star in DC to a JAG in KC.  Can't blame it solely on the players.

I'm good at my job, but I know I have to keep working and focusing on making sure my fundamentals are in place all year long.  Don't see how it's any different here.

And Reid spoke in glowing terms of his defensive coordinator Bob Sutton.

“Bob’s a brilliant guy,” he said. “The players know that. They know that he’s going to try to put them in the best possible position that he can. The thing he does is that he deciphers things, and has a good feel. Nobody watches more tape than he does, or studies more.

“I thought he did a great job of that in the fourth quarter, just kind of analyzing what’s going on, what’s coming forward here, and keeping his guys going. And he stayed aggressive. That sack — that was huge there at the end. On that last drive, time was everything, and that put them into a long field. It’s that kind of thinking that makes him special.”

Reid said that in his view, many of the defensive problems are due to the limited time the defensive unit has had to play together.

“I think it’s just a matter of playing more together,” he explained. “I’ve mentioned this. Because of the way things worked out in the preseason; there just wasn’t a lot of continuity there because of injuries.

“I think it’s just a matter of guys continuing to play — to communicate. Communicating helps you. Playing in a system helps you. But doing it in a live situation, you’re not going to get that in practice right now. You’ve got to kind of catch up there. The group plays well together, and they want to continue to get better.”

The Kansas City Chiefs waived tight end Alex Ellis and signed free-agent defensive back Josh Shaw Tuesday afternoon, the team announced via its official Twitter account Tuesday afternoon.

Ellis made the Chiefs at the 53-man roster deadline and played 10 offensive snaps Week 1 with Demetrius Harris out with a suspension. He didn’t see much time after that, and I suspected when the Chiefs added David Wells his cut could be inevitable. Ellis didn’t play against the San Francisco 49ers or the Denver Broncos.

Shaw, 26, is a 6-foot, 201-p

Shaw, 26, is a 6-foot, 201-pound defensive back who first entered the league as a 2015 fourth-round pick out of USC made by the Cincinnati Bengals. Some believe Shaw fell in the draft that year due to the infamous balcony incident at USC, in which he injured himself and lied about it.

Shaw played 47 games (14 starts) for the Bengals over the past three seasons at cornerback and safety before injuring his groin in the team’s third preseason game.

Shaw was waived by the club in early September with an injury settlement.

Rapid reaction from the Arrowhead Pride Nerd Squad

X6HwJg6q_normal.jpg

3 hours ago, Evad said:

Good point.  You want a shocking stat.  The Chiefs are the number one defense in the NFL on third down.  Teams are 10-42 in converting against us. Rounding out the top 5 is Baltimore, Philly, Jax and Minnesota.  Pretty good company.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Good point.  You want a shocking stat.  The Chiefs are the number one defense in the NFL on third down.  Teams are 10-42 in converting against us. Rounding out the top 5 is Baltimore, Philly, Jax and Minnesota.  Pretty good company.  

Yeah well when the defense gives up so many 7, 8, 9, 10,11, 12 yard runs that tends to negate some of that stat. Frankly, Denver shot itself in the foot. Joseph got cute late in the game and veered away with the idea of just pounding the rock which KC defended poorly

2 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Yeah well when the defense gives up so many 7, 8, 9, 10,11, 12 yard runs that tends to negate some of that stat. Frankly, Denver shot itself in the foot. Joseph got cute late in the game and veered away with the idea of just pounding the rock which KC defended poorly

Yesterday’s game was just more of the same.  Denver was a putrid 2-11 on third down. Basically when we do force a third down we are making the most of it. In between that we are getting torched but it’s enough to complement and get more possessions for offense  

Likewise while the defense is the best in football on third down, our offense is the third best at converting. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

Yesterday’s game was just more of the same.  Denver was a putrid 2-11 on third down. Basically when we do force a third down we are making the most of it. In between that we are getting torched but it’s enough to complement and get more possessions for offense  

Likewise while the defense is the best in football on third down, our offense is the third best at converting. 

Hmmm....wonder where we rank on 1st or 2nd downs. And where do we rank as far as how many 3rd downs faced so far compared to other teams?

Archived