FIRE Sutton for one play

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Hmmm....wonder where we rank on 1st or 2nd downs. And where do we rank as far as how many 3rd downs faced so far compared to other teams?

We force the third fewest. Although we are almost twice as good on third down as the bottom third of the league.  That’s no fluke. We are a miserable 7 of 8 on fourth down although I think most of those are game in hand situations.  

Point would be this defense does do some things well that compliment offense. We’ve given opponents the ball first in four straight games and only given up a total of 6 points.  We’ve also outscored opponents 48-9 in the first quarter.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

We’ve given opponents the ball first in four straight games and only given up a total of 6 points.

Actually this is slightly wrong.  We've won the toss and deferred every game.  Last night was the first time we've given up any points on that opening drive - in the first three games we scored a TD first.  So it's 3 not 6.

Parker maybe? I would say no. No more. Not to Denver at mile high do we allow them to sandbag one of the most memorable performances of Mahomes career.

I’m still so pissed off at that I can’t think about it before I go to sleep here. I have always liked Sutton, but that was insanely close to me bashing my tv with a golf club

9 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

I just don’t understand that cover 2 which is why I said fire Sutton. I mean, they had the walkin touchdown. It was there. How would we have reacted had they scored that? Sutton. 

Entire design of cover 2 is to keep the play in front of you. That didn’t happen so really it was poor execution.  Also the big play that got them down there to begin with came when Sutton got aggressive and called a safety blitz. 

Sutton's presser today he was asked about all the yards we give up and of course in Sutton fashion he said he doesn't really care a flip about how many yards we give up. He is only concerned about plays that affect points. I understand the mentality. But if you limit yards you also likely limit points. Ask Jacksonville. Someone needs to tell Sutton we are 25th in the league in points allowed. Maybe since we aren't in the "bottom 5" like most other defensive categories he finds this acceptable.

4 hours ago, dhitter said:

Sutton's presser today he was asked about all the yards we give up and of course in Sutton fashion he said he doesn't really care a flip about how many yards we give up. He is only concerned about plays that affect points. I understand the mentality. But if you limit yards you also likely limit points. Ask Jacksonville. Someone needs to tell Sutton we are 25th in the league in points allowed. Maybe since we aren't in the "bottom 5" like most other defensive categories he finds this acceptable.

Actually he said points are his first priority and by far the most important thing. Which is 100 percent correct.  

He said the second most important thing is getting the ball back to the offense as quickly as possible.  Again you can’t argue. 

Hardly groundbreaking though.  And spot on while we are great on third down, we aren’t creating turnovers anymore and that’s a major problem in his scheme. 

I've been defending Sutton, but I really cannot defend the entire defense anymore.  There are many good players, but basically we suck, and Sutton is no help. He'd be fine if we had better players back there.  We need to do some major drafting for defense this coming draft.  We were all worried about the safeties before the season, and we had reason to be.  We need better players back there and a better coach to scheme for them.  A lot of work to do.  It can be done.  We only need to get to average, and the offense will take care of the rest of it.

5 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

What about the people that say Eric Berry is the real problem?

No more excuses.. 

somehow we have one of the best 3rd down defenses so I’ll give Sutton credit for that, but fuck man he should have played cover 3 if he wanted everything in front of him on that last play. 

5 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

No more excuses.. 

somehow we have one of the best 3rd down defenses so I’ll give Sutton credit for that, but fuck man he should have played cover 3 if he wanted everything in front of him on that last play. 

Cover 2 was fine, Parker's sorry ass was just being lazy. That was all on him (Parker). His job was to sit on top, over that hash mark and his punk ass was late....as usual.

1 hour ago, artsy said:

Cover 2 was fine, Parker's sorry ass was just being lazy. That was all on him (Parker). His job was to sit on top, over that hash mark and his punk ass was late....as usual.

Everyone is saying cover 2 was fine but from what I saw the corner just let Thomas streak right by him to the endzone. That was the corner’s job in a cover 2 to let the safety take the deep zone which doesn’t make any sense in that situation does it? Should be corner and safety protecting the streak 

4 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Everyone is saying cover 2 was fine but from what I saw the corner just let Thomas streak right by him to the endzone. That was the corner’s job in a cover 2 to let the safety take the deep zone which doesn’t make any sense in that situation does it? Should be corner and safety protecting the streak 

The corner was wrong too as he should line up over the outside shoulder of the receiver and force him inside. The OLBs then have the curl routes while the MLB takes the flat. The safety is there to protect in case anyone breaks free but they should not be released so easily.

3 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

It depends on the type of Cover 2 defense that is being played on how deep the corner drops. Based on what Scandrick did, it appears the call was for a shallow drop, with Parker over the top. But who knows...This defense has been blowing coverages all year. So Scandrick could've been thinking shallow drop, while Parker was thinking he would drop deep????

13 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I've been defending Sutton, but I really cannot defend the entire defense anymore.  There are many good players, but basically we suck, and Sutton is no help. He'd be fine if we had better players back there.  We need to do some major drafting for defense this coming draft.  We were all worried about the safeties before the season, and we had reason to be.  We need better players back there and a better coach to scheme for them.  A lot of work to do.  It can be done.  We only need to get to average, and the offense will take care of the rest of it.

Better players are necessary, but there also seems to be a lack of coaching.  Not just the scheme, but also players drafted with high expectations that don't progress or progress very slowly.  Poor tackling and missed assignments are obvious, but there's also something else, maybe basic techniques, that makes the defense look slow and ineffective.

13 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

What about the people that say Eric Berry is the real problem?

I think he would be a great help if he ever comes back. It doesn't change the fact of what needs to be done.  We need more players back there.  One key injury, and we wave goodbye to championship prospects

37 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Better players are necessary, but there also seems to be a lack of coaching.  Not just the scheme, but also players drafted with high expectations that don't progress or progress very slowly.  Poor tackling and missed assignments are obvious, but there's also something else, maybe basic techniques, that makes the defense look slow and ineffective.

Yep.  That poor fundamentals problem is at the level of the position coaches.  Sutton is mainly a scheme and philosophy coach I believe.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yep.  That poor fundamentals problem is at the level of the position coaches.  Sutton is mainly a scheme and philosophy coach I believe.

The DC is responsible for the position coaches just like Reid is responsible for the coordinators.  If the position coaches can't teach or motivate their troops, then Sutton has to fill in or fire them.

9 hours ago, artsy said:

It depends on the type of Cover 2 defense that is being played on how deep the corner drops. Based on what Scandrick did, it appears the call was for a shallow drop, with Parker over the top. But who knows...This defense has been blowing coverages all year. So Scandrick could've been thinking shallow drop, while Parker was thinking he would drop deep????

Cover 2 101 is to get that sideline route covered by the deep safety. Parker blew coverage, scheme did not. 

Archived