What's Up With Booger McFarland and MNF?

17 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

I totally agree.  Kind of like how I'd rather have two "good" QB's instead of one great one.  Please note the dripping sarcasm here...  Your statement wreaks of jealousy.  If your team had a "GronK" or "Kelce" I'm sure your position might be different.  

What happened last year when Kelce went out during the playoff game? Remember that?

My Point is made.

Jealous? No, my team has a fine TE Corps with 342 receiving yards on 31 receptions from 3 different TE's and our #1 Draft pick (who won the John Mackey Award as the best college TE) set to make his debut on Sunday.

Kelce is very very good, maybe the best in the League at the TE position. But if he goes down, his 307 receiving yards are going to be replaced by whom?

13 hours ago, DieHard said:

I was watching in a Catina in Mexico City. They had their own Spanish speaking color guys and sideline reports. It was pretty cool and sounds like I didn’t miss much.

I watched the 85 bears win the SB in a bar like that in Puerto Rico----it was damn entertaining.....

38 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

What happened last year when Kelce went out during the playoff game? Remember that?

My Point is made.

Jealous? No, my team has a fine TE Corps with 342 receiving yards on 31 receptions from 3 different TE's and our #1 Draft pick (who won the John Mackey Award as the best college TE) set to make his debut on Sunday.

Kelce is very very good, maybe the best in the League at the TE position. But if he goes down, his 307 receiving yards are going to be replaced by whom?

Look, if your best players go down - even if they aren't "elite" - your team is going to struggle. I'm a Chiefs fan, so I've lived through decades of mediocre and " by-committee" skill positions.  I know what having several "decent" players looks like and feels like. I understand your point, but I'd still rather have the elite talent that forces a defense to account for that player every down. 

3 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

Look, if your best players go down - even if they aren't "elite" - your team is going to struggle. I'm a Chiefs fan, so I've lived through decades of mediocre and " by-committee" skill positions.  I know what having several "decent" players looks like and feels like. I understand your point, but I'd still rather have the elite talent that forces a defense to account for that player every down. 

I look at it from the viewpoint that with 3 very good TE's when 2 are on the field at the same time, the defense has to play it differently.

1 superstar goes down and its like, shwew.....we got lucky on defense.

most announcers  (especially sideline reporters) pick the low hanging fruit, or in other words, they state the obvious.....McFarland doesn't do anything different than any other analyst.    He is just new, has a shiny bald head and has a weird nickname......They don't suck but they aren't great either.....

34 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I look at it from the viewpoint that with 3 very good TE's when 2 are on the field at the same time, the defense has to play it differently.

1 superstar goes down and its like, shwew.....we got lucky on defense.

If the Chiefs didn't have a superstar and had a couple "good" TE's I'm sure I'd agree with your position.  As it stands, I'd rather my team have Tyreek, Sammy, et. al and Kelce on the field at the same time than any combination of "decent/good" TE's.

2 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

If the Chiefs didn't have a superstar and had a couple "good" TE's I'm sure I'd agree with your position.  As it stands, I'd rather my team have Tyreek, Sammy, et. al and Kelce on the field at the same time than any combination of "decent/good" TE's.

The Ravens offense is kind of Chiefs light and it makes sense as they are run by one of Andy's protege's.  A lot of similiarities in the types of skill position players, just not quite as good or young as we are overall. If we can built a Ravens light defense, we can win some Lombardi's. 

58 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The Ravens offense is kind of Chiefs light and it makes sense as they are run by one of Andy's protege's.  A lot of similiarities in the types of skill position players, just not quite as good or young as we are overall. If we can built a Ravens light defense, we can win some Lombardi's. 

Eh, kinda.  Yeah Marty worked for Andy for years, but there are some contrasts between the two.

He has more of a spread 'em out and let your athletes win the battles off being better athletes while Andy Reid is a much more refined designer and puzzle assembler. 

Andy's system requires a much smarter QB to master all the crap that is ran, while Marty's Offense is more simplified and can be ran with not so much studying--which was a boost with Vick as there was no way he would have remembered all of the concepts that Andy uses now.

58 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Eh, kinda.  Yeah Marty worked for Andy for years, but there are some contrasts between the two.

He has more of a spread 'em out and let your athletes win the battles off being better athletes while Andy Reid is a much more refined designer and puzzle assembler. 

Andy's system requires a much smarter QB to master all the crap that is ran, while Marty's Offense is more simplified and can be ran with not so much studying--which was a boost with Vick as there was no way he would have remembered all of the concepts that Andy uses now.

Don't disagree with this. More about the actual skill position talent around the QB. There's no doubt Andy Reid has proven that he can flat scheme guys open. He's absolutely one of the better offensive coaches of this era despite his tendancy to get too cute from time to time and forget he has a running game. This is actually what worries me about the Jags game. I think they are the type of physical team that can give our more finesse offensive fits especially if our explosiveness is somewhat nuetralized by the weather. 

On 10/3/2018 at 10:53 AM, jetlord said:

McFarland's "analysis" was the worst I've ever listened to.   We just wanted him to shut up for a while but he never did.  He sure didn't like the Chiefs very much.

I concur. He was flat out awful.

20 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

Ok- now you are comparing the entire Wr/TE corps of the Chiefs to the Ravens TE's .

Comparing the stats of the WR's, RB's and TE's on both teams, its pretty even overall although the stats support the theory that the Ravens are more balanced in the distribution of passes and TD's than Chiefs are.

Which would support my argument that losing Hill, Hunt or Kelce would have more of an impact the Ravens losing 1 guy.

I didn't like hearing Booger repeat the same shit about the defense either, HOWEVER he was right!

I just can't fathom being a player on that Defense and hearing all the shit about how much they suck. It seems as if they don't have any pride...as a man.

I think Hitch and Rags are better than what we had last year, but things haven't appeared to get better. Maybe they're still learning to play together since they didn't play in the preseason??

And yes, Parker almost cost us the game with his lazy ass defense on the play where Keenum missed DT. 

26 minutes ago, artsy said:

I didn't like hearing Booger repeat the same shit about the defense either, HOWEVER he was right!

I just can't fathom being a player on that Defense and hearing all the shit about how much they suck. It seems as if they don't have any pride...as a man.

I think Hitch and Rags are better than what we had last year, but things haven't appeared to get better. Maybe they're still learning to play together since they didn't play in the preseason??

And yes, Parker almost cost us the game with his lazy ass defense on the play where Keenum missed DT. 

I think Ragland looks slow and is likely battling knee issues. This has nothing to do with caring or effort. We are missing both starting safeties and leaning on a guy with detiorating skills we released once already. 

Also not only do we lead the league in third down defense but we also haven’t given up a first quarter TD in the first quarter of the season.  Those are both very important to being 4-0. 

This defense was limited to begin with as I’m sure Veach couldn’t rebuild the entire group in one offseason and without a first rounder. Losing Berry has been a dagger. We just need to hope these ILBs improve and we get Berry and Sorenson back in earnest or ultimately the defense will get us beat. 

But for a limited unit I believe they’ve played a nice complimentary role so far despite all the yardage they give up. 

32 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I think Ragland looks slow and is likely battling knee issues. This has nothing to do with caring or effort. We are missing both starting safeties and leaning on a guy with detiorating skills we released once already. 

Also not only do we lead the league in third down defense but we also haven’t given up a first quarter TD in the first quarter of the season.  Those are both very important to being 4-0. 

This defense was limited to begin with as I’m sure Veach couldn’t rebuild the entire group in one offseason and without a first rounder. Losing Berry has been a dagger. We just need to hope these ILBs improve and we get Berry and Sorenson back in earnest or ultimately the defense will get us beat. 

But for a limited unit I believe they’ve played a nice complimentary role so far despite all the yardage they give up. 

Please no Sorenson.  However, Berry would be nice. I think Watts could play that SS spot when/if Berry comes back. But I personally don't want to see Sorenson anymore. He cannot cover, and his tackling is just as bad.

Imo, if Rags is hurt, then they need to bench his ass. He is a liability playing injured. And he does look like something is wrong with him.

46 minutes ago, artsy said:

Please no Sorenson.  However, Berry would be nice. I think Watts could play that SS spot when/if Berry comes back. But I personally don't want to see Sorenson anymore. He cannot cover, and his tackling is just as bad.

Imo, if Rags is hurt, then they need to bench his ass. He is a liability playing injured. And he does look like something is wrong with him.

Sorenson is a solid player when he’s not asked to play in the box. Parker doesn’t belong there either which is why Berry is such a killer in run support especially.  Good news is  Dorian O Daniel has some real potential to play that nickel linebacker role well. Like most mid round picks he’s just going to need to earn snaps as the season progresses. We can become solid vs the run in my opinion this year.  The pass defense is going to need another offseason and I think that was always plan. 

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Ok- now you are comparing the entire Wr/TE corps of the Chiefs to the Ravens TE's .

Comparing the stats of the WR's, RB's and TE's on both teams, its pretty even overall although the stats support the theory that the Ravens are more balanced in the distribution of passes and TD's than Chiefs are.

Which would support my argument that losing Hill, Hunt or Kelce would have more of an impact the Ravens losing 1 guy.

No, that's not what I was saying - at all.  You miss the point.  My position is that if you have - to your point - multiple "decent" TE's on the field you're taking away from placing other skill positions on the field.  My point is i'd rather have a lineup of superstars - at whatever skill position group(s) - on the field than a collection of "solid/decent/better than average" skill players.  I was not specifically comparing the Chiefs WR's to that of the Ravens.  Though, if you want to make an argument that the Raven's skill positions are equal to the Chiefs in any way, shape or form, I along with likely the entire NFL nation would laugh you out of this digital forum.

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Sorenson is a solid player when he’s not asked to play in the box. Parker doesn’t belong there either which is why Berry is such a killer in run support especially.  Good news is  Dorian O Daniel has some real potential to play that nickel linebacker role well. Like most mid round picks he’s just going to need to earn snaps as the season progresses. We can become solid vs the run in my opinion this year.  The pass defense is going to need another offseason and I think that was always plan. 

Has D O’D saw the field aside from ST?  I don’t recall seeing him on D.

40 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Has D O’D saw the field aside from ST?  I don’t recall seeing him on D.

2 snaps on defense. If Berry doesn't come back his development this year will be important. This isn't some raw player either so I think his training camp injury put him behind.  Watts played 12 and produced which is a good sign. Nnadi was at 11. Speaks at 17. Thats a small move forward almost across the board but we've got to start to really see more snaps from these guys by Nov 1 if we have a real hope of defense improving. 

On 10/3/2018 at 4:01 PM, moons314 said:

The mnf broadcast in general was complete shit IMO.  I didn’t feel like any of them brought anything to the table, not the incessant referring to Mahomes as “showtime”, or any of the witty attempts at being clever.  It was like they all wanted to be Stuart Scott or Dick Vitale, attempting to be personality over substance.  It was terrible.  CBS still has the best broadcast of the nfl. 

Gotta agree...how many freakin times could they say showtime Mahomes

Yep.  Obnoxious.  Sometimes, the play would be starting, and they would still be yacking their self promoting quips.  After a play, they either never knew or cared who made the play on defense and often on offense, and the camera crew didn't bother to show their jersey, so that we could figure it out at home.  It was all garbage entertainment and no substance. No real knowledge of the game.  Just soundbites and stolen quips and opinions from other sources or outlets.  They didn't know enough to make any real observations of their own.  And why did they pick a booger?

Archived