Pay the man - Dee Ford

Every time the Chiefs get someone coming up for a new contract, we always hear "Pay the man."  Isn't it amazing how they always have "career" years when they are coming up for a new contract???  Anyhow, what about Dee Ford?  Are we going to "Pay" him?  The Chiefs "paid" Justin Houston and he hasn't matched his sack total in his "contract year" in the years since signing the contract.  Eric Berry thanked the Chiefs for paying him why he sat with cancer by getting to be paid the highest safety in NFL history.  With his $20m bonus, what has he made since then, $35-40 million for the 3/4 of a game he's played since signing the new contract.  Can't you see after getting his new contract Ford having a steady stream of back and groin issues? 

So, seeing the history, do we "pay" Dee Ford?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't give him a long tern contract...no way. Too many injuries and hot and cold play. When he is on....look out. But a couple years ago he had 10 sacks in a nine game stretch and then all but disappeared the rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I wouldn't give him a long tern contract...no way. Too many injuries and hot and cold play. When he is on....look out. But a couple years ago he had 10 sacks in a nine game stretch and then all but disappeared the rest of the season.

He’s elite on the left side. I believe when he had 10 sacks he then got switched to the right side because Houston came back from injury. 

Keep him on the left. Hope he stays healthy for this season. Money talks after the season but for now I franchise tag him a year. Without him our rush is fudged. 

5 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

He’s elite on the left side. I believe when he had 10 sacks he then got switched to the right side because Houston came back from injury. 

Keep him on the left. Hope he stays healthy for this season. Money talks after the season but for now I franchise tag him a year. Without him our rush is fudged. 

&  thats why your not a GM

Nope. He cant stay healthy and never has played up to where we drafted him

The only way we get him back is for a reasonable contract but someone will over pay and we will get a 3rd round comp back. Use the money to pay other players coming up instead.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Nope. He cant stay healthy and never has played up to where we drafted him

The only way we get him back is for a reasonable contract but someone will over pay and we will get a 3rd round comp back. Use the money to pay other players coming up instead.

Idk man I think if he stays healthy this year he’ll get a contract. He’s rushing and hustling all over the place, really giving this D a ton of energy for the start of the Mahomes era. 

Ford is elite??? You must be really high. Not even talking about talent at the Miller/DT level.

He's a decent pass rusher at best which is when he's healthy and has a good matchup. Still a one trick pony but has some good power rush performances as well at time. However he's no more than a situational player for the Chiefs. Can't cover or stop the run and gets beat more often than not while rushing the passer. This might be his best season so far and the Steelers made a fool of him with guys running all over and around him freely. Also he has never stayed healthy long enough to actually be a consistent guy. 

I like that he's putting up some numbers this year, if he gets a decent deal in FA we will get a good pick in return but even thinking about something more than that could be considered crazy. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Ford is elite??? You must be really high. Not even talking about talent at the Miller/DT level.

He's a decent pass rusher at best which is when he's healthy and has a good matchup. Still a one trick pony but has some good power rush performances as well at time. However he's no more than a situational player for the Chiefs. Can't cover or stop the run and gets beat more often than not while rushing the passer. This might be his best season so far and the Steelers made a fool of him with guys running all over and around him freely. Also he has never stayed healthy long enough to actually be a consistent guy. 

I like that he's putting up some numbers this year, if he gets a decent deal in FA we will get a good pick in return but even thinking about something more than that could be considered crazy. 

If you think he is a "decent pass rusher at best" you clearly are watching a different team that the rest of us. He has been a dominant, game changing pass rusher this year. 

If you are talking about his entire body of work and looking at stats only, then yes, he is a decent pass rusher at best. 

The player we are seeing right now is one of the better pass rushers in football.

My thoughts are even with a big year this season he won't get top 5 pass rusher $ due to his injury history.

IMO, if he's on pack to have like 15 sacks and 50-60 pressures I dont' see how you can find a replacement in FA or the draft.

Let's let the season play out and just see how the off-season plays out.

KC could always FT him on a 1 year prove it deal and go from there.

Look at these #'s from yesterday, quite impressive, and yes, I realize he can't do this every week:

BJ KisselVerified account @ChiefsReporter 1h1 hour ago

Dee Ford's stat line against the #Jaguars on Sunday: 1 sack. 3 QB hits. 5 tackles. 1 forced fumble. 1 pass defensed. He came into the game second in the NFL w/ 23 QB pressures.

Ford has two or three good games a year. Then he disappears. I mean, Jacksonville was so bad that Speaks and #98, let alone Terrence Smith, were knocking Bortles down. That was probably the worst line we play all year. Absolutely do not give him big money.

As iffy as Fisher can be at LT, at least we didn’t take Joeckle. That guy isn’t even with Jacksonville anymore and I think moved to guard?

1 minute ago, Thegoatee said:

Ford has two or three good games a year. Then he disappears. I mean, Jacksonville was so bad that Speaks and #98, let alone Terrence Smith, were knocking Bortles down. That was probably the worst line we play all year. Absolutely do not give him big money.

As iffy as Fisher can be at LT, at least we didn’t take Joeckle. That guy isn’t even with Jacksonville anymore and I think moved to guard?

Ya, but that's not happening this year, Ford has been consistently getting pressure all season long so far. 

You may not have to give him big money because alot of other teams will be skeptical as well.

1 minute ago, dksww said:

Ya, but that's not happening this year, Ford has been consistently getting pressure all season long so far. 

You may not have to give him big money because alot of other teams will be skeptical as well.

If he stays healthy and plays this consistent all 16 games and shows up in the playoffs (assuming we don’t collapse), I am sure he will command something. I just don’t think we should be the ones tying up money on him. He isn’t a complete package.

20 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

He’s been a different player this year with sacks in four of our five games.  I’m not paying him because of his back issues personally though. 

19 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

If he stays healthy and plays this consistent all 16 games and shows up in the playoffs (assuming we don’t collapse), I am sure he will command something. I just don’t think we should be the ones tying up money on him. He isn’t a complete package.

Who is that will be available?  Do you know how hard Elite pass rushers that are also good against the run are to find?  We can let Dee Ford walk all day in the off-season, but that doesn't mean we'll find a better one and most likely will not. 

I think most Chiefs' fans just can't get over Dee Ford actually improving into a great player.  So what he's not elite against the run?  This is a passing league and good pass rushers are at a premium.

If Dee Ford continues this type of season the Chiefs will 100% re-sign him.  Again, I don't think he'll get top 5 Pass Rusher money, but if he continues this pace and pay the Chiefs will re-sign him.

2 minutes ago, dksww said:

Who is that will be available?  Do you know how hard Elite pass rushers that are good against the run are to find?  We can let Dee Ford walk all day in the off-season, but that doesn't mean we'll find a better one and most likely will not. 

I think most Chiefs' fans just can't get over Dee Ford actually improving into a great player.  So what he's not elite against the run?  This is a passing league and good pass rushers are a premium.

I mean I get the dude gets injured often, but geez people, lets get off our high horse and not act like re-signing this guy after a career year is not a smart move for the Chiefs. 

lets see.. signed Houston after a "career year" ..and Berry as well..seems to be the Chiefs have been bitten in the ass signing players after a "career year", not over paying someone who cant stay healthy career year or not is understandable. Someone will over pay for him. I think the Chiefs let the market define his value and then decide.

If you don't want to re-sign Dee Ford, that's fine, but then name the player they can get that's just as good or better.

It's easy to sit there and say don't pay the guy no matter what, but by doing so it creates a huge  hole that has to filled in FA or the draft.

Name the player in FA or the draft that's played just as well as Ford has this season and how is that not just as big of a risk?

Archived