Pay the man - Dee Ford

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Dude they still have the option to match an offer sheet if they transitiin tag him. It still lets the Chiefs hold the cards.

ya but if he walks you don't get any compensation other than the 3rd and that's only if you don't make a big signing of your own inf FA.

if you non-exclusive tag them it gives you the opportunity to match and if not you get 2 firsts in return regardless of what you do in FA.

Just now, dksww said:

ya but if he walks you don't get any compensation other than the 3rd and that's only if you don't make a big signing of your own to counter it.

if you non-exclusive tag them it gives you the opportunity to match and if not you get 2 firsts in return regardless of what you do in FA.

Honestly I still think a change at DC is possible, if not likely. A new DC may mean a new scheme.  If we are running a 43 next season this may all be moot. 

I do agree though, letting him walk with no comp would be painful. Seeing a guy who will only be 28 and could be coming off a 12 -15 sack year walk away is tough.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Honestly I still think a change at DC is possible, if not likely. A new DC may mean a new scheme.  If we are running a 43 next season this may all be moot. 

I do agree though, letting him walk with no comp would be painful. Seeing a guy who will only be 28 and could be coming off a 12 -15 sack year walk away is tough.

if Ford keeps this up I think you non-exclusive FT him to give you all the control regardless of who the DC is.

9 minutes ago, dksww said:

ya but if he walks you don't get any compensation other than the 3rd and that's only if you don't make a big signing of your own inf FA.

If the Chiefs choose to match, he belongs to the Chiefs.  I uh don't know what you're losing your mind over here.

Worst case scenario, another franchise decides the market for Dee and it'd be hard to say they 'overpaid'

There's too much history of guys playing lights out during their contract year then falling back to their old habits. I think we are learning ford can/will play through injury when money is on the line. I'd offer a heavy incentive based contract, he's one dimensional and not worth top 10 money as he sucks against the run. Will hurt to lose the sacks, but the guy will be on the injured list just as much as he used to once he gets paid.

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

If the Chiefs choose to match, he belongs to the Chiefs.  I uh don't know what you're losing your mind over here.

Worst case scenario, another franchise decides the market for Dee and it'd be hard to say they 'overpaid'

Transition tag doesn't get you any compensation.  Non-Exclusive tag gives you the same chance to match any offer and if not, you get 2 first round picks.

Non-Exclusive Tag > Transition Tag

Not that hard.

1 minute ago, Biggjliv4 said:

There's too much history of guys playing lights out during their contract year then falling back to their old habits. I think we are learning ford can/will play through injury when money is on the line. I'd offer a heavy incentive based contract, he's one dimensional and not worth top 10 money as he sucks against the run. Will hurt to lose the sacks, but the guy will be on the injured list just as much as he used to once he gets paid.

That's why you FT him for 2019 so you can see if he can put 2 good seasons in a row together and if not, you aren't committed to him for more than 1 season.

4 minutes ago, dksww said:

Transition tag doesn't get you any compensation.  Non-Exclusive tag gives you the same chance to match any offer and if not, you get 2 first round picks.

Non-Exclusive Tag > Transition Tag

Not that hard.

You really seem to be struggling here, for some reason.  The transition tag gives KC the right to match any offer that Dee Ford gets in the open market and Dee Ford isn't getting a deal they can't match.  If they say yes we're going to match the offer, compensation is irrelevant.

Just now, liquidfriend said:

You really seem to be struggling here, for some reason.  The transition tag gives KC the right to match any offer that Dee Ford gets in the open market and Dee Ford isn't getting a deal they can't match.  If they say yes we're going to match the offer, compensation is irrelevant.

That's not what you said earlier, you just said to TT him.  I stated NEFT is the best option because if you choose not to match an offer, you get 2 first round picks.    

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-franchise-transition-tag-20160303-story.html

6 minutes ago, dksww said:

That's not what you said earlier, you just said to TT him.  I stated NEFT is the best option because if you choose not to match an offer, you get 2 first round picks.    

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-franchise-transition-tag-20160303-story.html

Thanks for the link. Good to know. 

29 minutes ago, dksww said:

You just assumed stuff and never asked why I said to TT. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...er-of-the-year

Quote:
Ford isn’t just better than the rest of his AFC West rivals; he’s the best edge defender in the NFL through Week 8. The former Auburn product’s 90.5 overall grade and 91.9 pass-rush grade lead all players with 200-plus defensive snaps along the edge this season.

Propping up his 91.9 pass-rush grade is Ford’s high-end efficiency going after the quarterback. He and Philadelphia Eagles’ Chris Long are the only two edge defenders with 200-plus pass-rush snaps with a win percentage above 20%. Ford’s pass-rush productivity (11.1) also ranks second behind just Buffalo Bills edge defender Jerry Hughes, and he’s out-snapped Hughes by 70 pass-rush snaps so far this season. Ford leads all edge defenders with 45 total pressures, including 26 hurries, 10 quarterback hits and nine sacks.

In addition to pressures and pressure efficiency, time to pressure also affects PFF’s pass-rush grade, for pressures recorded earlier in the play have a heightened effect on the passer and more often lead to bigger defensive plays (i.e., strip-sacks, turnover-worthy throws). And no edge defender is better at forcing quick decisions than Ford.

On 10/29/2018 at 5:38 AM, liquidfriend said:

That only works for a guy the team would want to keep and the rest of the NFL wouldn't want to pay higher than they should. Might as well do the non-exclusive and sign/trade him to a not so smart GM and get something like a 2nd in the process. 

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

That only works for a guy the team would want to keep and the rest of the NFL wouldn't want to pay higher than they should. Might as well do the non-exclusive and sign/trade him to a not so smart GM and get something like a 2nd in the process. 

There's more than one reason to use the TT.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

There's more than one reason to use the TT.

All have advantages & disadvantages over others. The key is the intention of the team. TT only has an advantage if the team wants to sign the player, it would be a huge mistake IMO. We don't need to give a long term deal to a 1-dimensional player that's often injured. I think the best way to go is maximizing the haul from his departure which will be at most a 3rd via FA but not sure if Ford has any sign&trade value. If he has other alternatives should be on the table.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

All have advantages & disadvantages over others. The key is the intention of the team. TT only has an advantage if the team wants to sign the player, it would be a huge mistake IMO. We don't need to give a long term deal to a 1-dimensional player that's often injured. I think the best way to go is maximizing the haul from his departure which will be at most a 3rd via FA but not sure if Ford has any sign&trade value. If he has other alternatives should be on the table.

Agreed. Let him get over paid with some one else to sit on the bench. If he was healthy and played like he has this year, every year up to now,  I would want to sign him. I could be wrong but I have the feeling he will sign a huge contract only to be injured again for most of it. Rather use the money to sign others and draft accordingly.

6 minutes ago, artsy said:

FT the guy. I think Ford is a freaking poser. Once he get's paid we'll never see him again.....possibly.

I don't trust him, but I aint the GM sooooo....

Everyone on here needs to quit bitching and thinking these players CHOOSE to get injured and miss games.

Dee Ford had a very good 2016 and got injured in week 2 of 2017 missing the season.

What makes any of you think that was his choice?  What, he wasn't hurt and chose to sit the season out?

If Dee Ford is the best pass rusher in the NFL at the end of the season, the Cheifs have NO choice but to FT him and either trade him or have him play 2019 under the FT and prove he can put back to back seasons together.

Regardless, these injuries to Houston, Berry and Ford were bad timing as far as contracts go and were completely out of their(the player's) control.

Quit acting like it was their choice to sit out games and are just a bunch of p*ssies.  I dont' see any of you out there playing in NFL games.

58 minutes ago, dksww said:

Everyone on here needs to quit bitching and thinking these players CHOOSE to get injured and miss games.

Dee Ford had a very good 2016 and got injured in week 2 of 2017 missing the season.

What makes any of you think that was his choice?  What, he wasn't hurt and chose to sit the season out?

If Dee Ford is the best pass rusher in the NFL at the end of the season, the Cheifs have NO choice but to FT him and either trade him or have him play 2019 under the FT and prove he can put back to back seasons together.

Regardless, these injuries to Houston, Berry and Ford were bad timing as far as contracts go and were completely out of their(the player's) control.

Quit acting like it was their choice to sit out games and are just a bunch of p*ssies.  I dont' see any of you out there playing in NFL games.

Dee Ford is a poser. However, I do agree that the chiefs should FT him and see if he can perform back to back.

If so, then yes move forward long term. Or let him walk...he will be 28. Dee Ford is a speed rusher. He doesn't use a lot of "technique"..i.e.Tamaba or even Houston.

Once he losses his speed, he's done.

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

You're awfully delusional if you think the Chiefs aren't going to attempt to re-sign Dee Ford.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

You're awfully delusional if you think the Chiefs aren't going to attempt to re-sign Dee Ford.

Resign him fine but dont break the bank. Whether his fault or not he is injured quite a bit. We don't need another high paid guy sitting on the bench. I do think of this was not a contract year he would have missed a game or two when he had that tweaked muscle. I just dont see him as a guy that will pay through the pain if he does not have to and right now he is motivated to do so. 

Archived