Smith Trade & 2019 Draft Picks?

20 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Its early. So help me More Informed Guys.  At this point what is your take? Was Fuller and a third enough for Smith? What picks does KC have next year/rounds?

I think it was a very good trade for both teams actually.  We got a good young emerging corner which allowed us to trade Marcus Peters. And the third rounder. Plus we saved 14 million vs the CAP in the deal. And thst trade got us an additional 2nd rounder next year.  So we have a 1st and two 2nds to help build secondary the right way. 

14 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I think it was a very good trade for both teams actually.  We got a good young emerging corner which allowed us to trade Marcus Peters. And the third rounder. Plus we saved 14 million vs the CAP in the deal. And thst trade got us an additional 2nd rounder next year.  So we have a 1st and two 2nds to help build secondary the right way. 

So KC got a second for Smith? What did KC get for Peters?

17 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

They got a second in 2019 for Peters. They got an extra third in the 2018 draft for Smith. 

So its Fuller, Nnadi & actually Watkins with the cap space saved for Smith. Looking good considering he would have been a free agent in 2019.

If we let Ford walk, we might get ourselves a 3rd round comp for him as well in 2020.  I think we have plenty of ammo to load up on defense and use middle to late picks on the oline.  We should also look into getting a TE eventually, one that can play with Kelce and also who would be a fallback in case Kelce eventually leaves. 

13 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

If we let Ford walk, we might get ourselves a 3rd round comp for him as well in 2020.  I think we have plenty of ammo to load up on defense and use middle to late picks on the oline.  We should also look into getting a TE eventually, one that can play with Kelce and also who would be a fallback in case Kelce eventually leaves. 

Noah Fants please!

The Smith trade was going to happen no matter the compensation.  The Chiefs were committed to Mahomes and Smith was expensive baggage so I'd say getting rid of his salary was the top consideration.  Getting Fuller made the Skins the best trade partner although there may not have been that many who wanted Smith at his price.  The extra draft pick was a bonus.  Even if Mahomes wasn't playing well yet, the dealing of Smith was the right move.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

They are up a 2nd for Peters and minus a 4th for Ragland right now.  They gave out some massive deals this year, so there won't be any comp choices on the way.

We are very likely going to get a late round comp pick! 

Key free-agent losses: WR Albert Wilson (Dolphins), CB Terrance Mitchell (Browns), OG Zach Fulton(Texans), DT Bennie Logan (Titans), LB Derrick Johnson (Raiders).
Key free-agent additions: WR Sammy Watkins (Rams), LB Anthony Hitchens (Cowboys).
The skinny: The loss of Wilson will be cancelled out by the addition of Watkins, while Fulton's loss will be cancelled out by the addition of Hitchens. Once the math is completed, the Chiefs will likely end up with either a sixth- or seventh-round pick for the loss of Mitchell.

12 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

He's showing exactly why some of us were jumping up down, from the moment KC traded for him, were saying that he had to go.

All of his worst traits are on display.  Run Cover 2, stunt the DL and he can't fill his pants full of shit fast enough.

Hahaha Alex brought this franchise back into existence and lifted us up to the Mahomes era. Without him we were screwed, sure we had Reid but needed Alex to really create something special and he damn will did! I’ll always be a fan, and glad we’ve moved on mutually. 

And yes, the cover 2 fills his pants with shit faster than the cow says moo 

23 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

He's showing exactly why some of us were jumping up down, from the moment KC traded for him, were saying that he had to go.

All of his worst traits are on display.  Run Cover 2, stunt the DL and he can't fill his pants full of shit fast enough.

Yep. The first minute after the trade I was warning everyone.

Not sure why so many rag on Alex Smith.  He came to a 2-14 team and led them to four playoffs in five years.  Okay, he only won one playoff game but considering the incredible injuries in IND and the inept defense for the past couple of years, it's not all on Smith.  Beside, he handled the Mahomes drafting and red shirt year with class and helpfulness.  It's great that he's been replaced with what appears to be an incredible talent, but he did more to restore KC football than anyone except for maybe Reid and deserves our thanks and respect.

25 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Hahaha Alex brought this franchise back into existence and lifted us up to the Mahomes era. Without him we were screwed, sure we had Reid but needed Alex to really create something special and he damn will did! I’ll always be a fan, and glad we’ve moved on mutually. 

And yes, the cover 2 fills his pants with shit faster than the cow says moo 

I absolutely appreciate what Alex did here, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Chad Henne wouldn’t put up 80 percent of Alex’s numbers in an Andy Reid offense.  He’s just phenomenal at building around a QBs strengths.  

After this season, the Alex Smith trade will probably look like Andy has again fleeced other teams so bad. Alex was pretty dreadful his first year here. Wasn’t that the no TD passes to WRs year? Or was that his second year? Either way, Alex literally almost killed my love of football because he plays the game in the most frustrating and non entertaining way possible. I’d have gladly taken a bag of Cheetos for him.

Alex for the most part was very steady and took care of the ball. His ceiling was an 8 but usually was hanging around 7 and his floor was relatively low. Mahomes comes along and his ceiling is 10 but you don't know if he is capable of delivering 10 quickly. He did...end of story.

Smith had a great season last year by his standards which is only enough for stability in a position. In terms of value a 3rd + Fuller shouldn't be enough as we are giving up a QB. However as we have heard in the offseason Chiefs didn't simply want to trade Smith to the highest bidder (Cleveland) but rather give him a chance to be successful, so probably asked Smith about what he wanted in the process. It's a smart business move as gives out a good example to all the players out there as Chiefs look to treat most more than just assets.

In the end I think it was a good trade for both teams. Smith isn't good enough to fetch a 1st and outplayed himself last year. We got a high and upcoming DB in the process. Washington was to get a 3rd for Cousins so they simply flipped that pick for a QB that might stabilize the team for a while and cost less in the process.

12 hours ago, Calichief said:

Yep. The first minute after the trade I was warning everyone.

And the entire time here he proved you wrong. He was one of the most winningest QB in the league the whole time he was in KC.

Washington sucked before he got there and no, he can't carry the team on his back. He needs help like most QBs 

Archived