Smith Trade & 2019 Draft Picks?

14 hours ago, jetlord said:

Not sure why so many rag on Alex Smith.  He came to a 2-14 team and led them to four playoffs in five years.  Okay, he only won one playoff game but considering the incredible injuries in IND and the inept defense for the past couple of years, it's not all on Smith.  Beside, he handled the Mahomes drafting and red shirt year with class and helpfulness.  It's great that he's been replaced with what appears to be an incredible talent, but he did more to restore KC football than anyone except for maybe Reid and deserves our thanks and respect.

Because expectations should never be playoffs participants trophy that doesn't exist.

5 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Because expectations should never be playoffs participants trophy that doesn't exist.

I get your point.  No one wants the Chiefs to win the big one more than I.  But there's more to enjoying football than winning the Lombardi.  When we go to Arrowhead, we go to be entertained and hopefully see the team we support win a game.  Smith gave us a chance to see winning football games more than any other QB in nearly 20 years.  If the Chiefs go 11-5 this year, win the division, and lose in the playoffs before getting to the Super Bowl, I'll still feel it was an exciting year with some exciting offense and a team that's within a very few players of being even better next year.  Sorry, I just can't jump on your "Super Bowl or failure" wagon.  

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I get your point.  No one wants the Chiefs to win the big one more than I.  But there's more to enjoying football than winning the Lombardi.  When we go to Arrowhead, we go to be entertained and hopefully see the team we support win a game.  Smith gave us a chance to see winning football games more than any other QB in nearly 20 years.  If the Chiefs go 11-5 this year, win the division, and lose in the playoffs before getting to the Super Bowl, I'll still feel it was an exciting year with some exciting offense and a team that's within a very few players of being even better next year.  Sorry, I just can't jump on your "Super Bowl or failure" wagon.  

Agree 100%  This team is fun to watch.

12 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

There's been a lot less productive QBs than Alex win Super Bowls. But as Jet pointed out as it pertains to us going forward is the reality that Alex Smith served as an invaluable mentor to Pat Mahomes last season. No way he would be this far advanced without that opportunity. And likely he's more prepared when he does struggle as well. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The general happiness of being a playoff participant partly plays into why it took as long as it did to finally get a franchise QB IMO.

Not a lot of incentive to roll the dice when they could trade for some less risky guy and fill the seats.  And really, how entertaining was watching them blow leads in the playoffs?

57 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Slam dunk post of the year as far as I'm concerned. The journey may never end where you want it, so if you don't enjoy the ride you may end up with nothing. We rode Alex Smith until the team around him started to erode to the point it was obvious our date with destiny was never going to happen. At that point yes it would have been tough to enjoy that ride.

But this organization went all in to fix that problem and has now opened up a new window of opportunity that is likely our best in five decades to win the Lombardi. The ride itself is really fun again no matter what happens in the short term. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

Slam dunk post of the year as far as I'm concerned. The journey may never end where you want it, so if you don't enjoy the ride you may end up with nothing. We rode Alex Smith until the team around him started to erode to the point it was obvious our date with destiny was never going to happen. At that point yes it would have been tough to enjoy that ride.

But this organization went all in to fix that problem and has now opened up a new window of opportunity that is likely our best in five decades to win the Lombardi. The ride itself is really fun again no matter what happens in the short term. 

ROFLMAO..MLoe..meet Liquid Friend  aka Puddles 12022515_957546180948234_6970232295434511300_o-2-613x311.jpg

2 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

The general happiness of being a playoff participant partly plays into why it took as long as it did to finally get a franchise QB IMO.

Not a lot of incentive to roll the dice when they could trade for some less risky guy and fill the seats.

I agree completely with this when it came to Pioli and Carl Peterson making the decisions. But Andy's done it all except win a Lombardi already and the first legit opportunity he got to really go for it, he did. IE: There's no doubt that Pittsburgh loss and the missed opportunities resonated with him no matter how much he liked Alex. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

I agree completely with this when it came to Pioli and Carl Peterson making the decisions. But Andy's done it all except win a Lombardi already and the first legit opportunity he got to really go for it, he did. IE: There's no doubt that Pittsburgh loss and the missed opportunities resonated with him no matter how much he liked Alex. 

Agreed and that's why I generally felt the no first round QB streak would eventually end.  That period is finally over and things look a lot brighter.  

He would have been a really great QB if he were playing 20 years before he was actually drafted, but 3 yard dumpoffs just isn't enough in this century.

And lol OT

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I'll agree with you in part.. King Carl under the ownership of Lamar was certainly that way. Clark is certainly no Lamar he has  to make his own brand unlike his dad who was the AFL..Pioli was not around long enough IMO to settle for just filling seats. he was just over his head and certainly in the wrong organization..

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I'll agree with you in part.. King Carl under the ownership of Lamar was certainly that way. Clark is certainly no Lamar he has  to make his own brand unlike his dad who was the AFL..Pioli was not around long enough IMO to settle for just filling seats. he was just over his head and certainly in the wrong organization..

The organizational model which had King Carl running both football and business operations really left him in a difficult situation where he was responsible for making Lamar money and winning a Super Bowl. The two certainly don't always jive especially when it comes to making short term sacrifices. 

No doubt one of the smartest things Clark did was seperate those two jobs.

Your probably right about Pioli not being concerned with filling seats as much he was was his ego being damaged by admitting he made a mistake with Cassell. It's not often a new coach takes over as Andy did and literally releases every QB on the roster. 

Love, love Andy. At this point in his career he takes a 12-4 team that has owned the division for years and tore it down. A crazy 2 first rounders for a raw gun slinger. Dumped one of the highest winning percentage QBs in our history. Paid a kings rasom for another teams 3rd WR. Took a chance on an austrisized talent in Hill that no one wanted. Picked up the rushing champ on the second day and cut the all time leading rusher.

He manages a team like he calls plays. Ballsy. Those plays could blowup and he looks like a failed gimmicky coach. Honey badger don’t give a fuck. Strap your helmet on and let’s play. I love that guy.

Archived