Watts and LDT to IR and Zombo is back :(

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The loss of Watts likely hurts nearly as much because the rookie safety out of Texas A&M had slowly developed into a better performer each week in a secondary that needs playmakers. Dan Sorensen and Eric Berry have missed the first five weeks apiece and there’s no return date in sight for either at this point. Watts had made key plays in each of the last two weeks and now his pro development is stunted due to a groin injury.

Chiefs RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (fibula, I.R.) also suffered a Maisonneuve fracture in his leg Week 5 and is now in doubt to return in 2018.

Coach Andy Reid admitted the injury is worse than the team initially thought; LDT was expected to be a return candidate in a minimum of eight weeks. His season is now in jeopardy. A Maisonneuve fracture is a spiral fracture in the fibula associated with a tear of the interosseous membrane.

urkholder on RG Laurent Durvernay-Tardif

“We told you after the game he has a fracture fibula—he does. But after we reviewed the film and got to examine him the next day—he had some ankle pain, so we did an MRI. He has what’s known as a Maisonneuve injury. Now, Larry will tell you that it’s pronounced differently than that. And basically what happens there is his ankle gets externally rotated. The force tears ligaments in his ankle and runs up the leg and then breaks his fibula. So he’s going to have that repaired by Dr. Bob Anderson in Green Bay, Wisconsin, on Monday. We’ll know more after the surgery how much time he’ll miss.”

Reid added the injury to Duvernay-Tardif was a little worse than the Chiefs originally thought when he said that he’d be back in a few weeks. It’s my understanding that there are no guarantee we see Duvernay-Tardif the rest of the season.

Burkholder on S Armani Watts

“As you remember, last Wednesday, he reported a groin injury, he played in the game somewhat, and then when he dove for the ball in the end zone and broke up the pass, he did some more damage. We did another MRI on him and determined that he has a core muscle injury that needs to be repaired, so he will go. He’s in Philadelphia [Wednesday] visiting Dr. Bill Myers and he’ll be operated on [Thursday].”

As we noted Tuesday, both players have been added to the Chi

Chiefs dressed just three healthy safeties for practice Wednesday with Ron Parker, Jordan Lucas and Josh Shaw. To help out for now, WR Marcus Kemp is working out as an emergency safety. He had 120 tackles and 5 picks as a safety in high school.

- Matt Derrick twitter

2 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I'm pretty sure we could find a free agent that will be better than a guy who last played the position 5 years ago. Also at this point is there another Thomas type of Safety (FA that will leave) around? 

It was just an idea on how to develop a good athlete that's at a stacked position into something else we can use.   Not as an answer to be the starting Safety.

And no, there is not any decent FA Safties to my knowledge that are available. 

2 minutes ago, dksww said:

It was just an idea on how to develop a good athlete that's at a stacked position into something else we can use.   Not as an answer to be the starting Safety.

We used to deal with receivers that had hands made of stone who couldn't run routes. Now we have such a surplus that we can contemplate converting a promising guy to another position.

Considering that we could replace them easier may be we should consider giving up one or two offensive players for a DB 🙄

18 minutes ago, sith13 said:

We used to deal with receivers that had hands made of stone who couldn't run routes. Now we have such a surplus that we can contemplate converting a promising guy to another position.

Considering that we could replace them easier may be we should consider giving up one or two offensive players for a DB 🙄

Teams aren't going to trade quality DBs for 4th and 5th wrs.  Best option is a trade of a late draft pick for a DB like Jordan Lucas. 

8 minutes ago, dksww said:

Teams aren't going to trade quality DBs for 4th and 5th wrs.  Best option is a trade of a late draft pick for a DB like Jordan Lucas. 

I'm not really talking about 4th or 5th WRs but rather trading someone higher on the list for a quality DB.

Trading away a late pick for guys like Lucas or a mid pick for guys like Fuller (talented yet behind prominent starters) is the easiest way to go and would love if Veach can find such a guy.

we ca

41 minutes ago, dksww said:

We can look at other teams practice squads right???

24 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I'm not really talking about 4th or 5th WRs but rather trading someone higher on the list for a quality DB.

Trading away a late pick for guys like Lucas or a mid pick for guys like Fuller (talented yet behind prominent starters) is the easiest way to go and would love if Veach can find such a guy.

Who were you thinking?  I wouldn't want to trade Hunt, Hill or Kelce.  I was referring to trading Conley or D. Robinson for a DB, but that's the scenario where I don't think the teams with the quality DBs would be willing to part with it for a WR like Conley or Robinson.

I want the Chiefs defense to be better, but this isn't a do or die season and we are playing with house money at this point.  Hell, I thought KC would be something like 2-4 after 6 games and we have a good chance to be 6-0.

If it doesn't happen defensively this season, it's not a big deal.  The Chiefs have a ton of cap space and good draft capital to work with next off-season.  Also, I bet they move on from Sutton as well.

4 hours ago, dksww said:

Why not just convert Kemp to Safety now anyway?  We're too deep at WR for him to get on the field.  I know it wouldn't be an instant transition, but he has size and speed to work with.

Arrowhead Pride‏Verified account @ArrowheadPride

Chiefs assistant HC Dave Toub said Marcus Kemp was working in as a emergency safety to get through practice with numbers down. He’s a good plug-and-play guy anywhere.

16 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

we ca

We can look at other teams practice squads right???

That's one thing Dorsey was really good at. Considering some of the current people are from that regime I think we could do a good job. Veach picked up Butker from the Panthers so may be he finds another one or two.

We lost McDougald from the PS and he looked to be ready from day one, may be we find someone similar elsewhere. 

Archived