Jamal Charles Signs with the Jaguars

The Jacksonville Jaguars, plagued by injuries at running back, have signed free agent Jamaal Charles to a one-year deal, the team announced Tuesday.

The move comes after No. 3 running back Corey Grant was placed on injured reserve with a Lisfranc injury in his left foot. Grant had been pressed into playing time with regular starter Leonard Fournette out indefinitely because of a right hamstring injury and No. 2 back T.J. Yeldon playing with a nagging ankle injury.

The veteran back has had a light workload the past three seasons and gives Jacksonville a player who can handle 10-15 touches per game.

Injuries are piling up on offense for Jacksonville, which will lean heavily on its No. 2 running back as it tries to keep pace in the AFC.

The Jaguars' QB struggled against the NFL's 31st-ranked pass defense, throwing three first-half interceptions that helped put his team in a 20-0 hole.

Charles, 31, who worked out for the Jaguars on Tuesday morning prior to signing the deal, said he'd been waiting for the right opportunity to sign with a contender.

"I've been trying to do all my condition work, just trying to stay in shape just in case I got anybody to call," Charles said Tuesday. "The reason why I wanted to come here, really, was because I wanted a potential shot at a Super Bowl. That's why I still kept my options open. I really want to win a championship."

He should be able to pick up the offense quickly and make an immediate contribution Sunday at Dallas (2-3) while playing behind Yeldon.

"I have a lot [left in the tank] and I've got to prove a lot," Charles said. "Opportunities don't come around like this all the time."

Charles spent nine years in Kansas City and played 14 games with the Denver Broncos last season. The four-time Pro Bowl selection has 7,556 yards rushing and 44 touchdowns, plus 2,586 yards receiving and 20 more scores.

"In my mind, I want to come here and make my own history," Charles said. "I want to start a new history. Everybody says, 'he's old' right now, but I want to start something new. ... I want to do something special for the Jaguars. I hope we can go all the way."

The 2017 season didn't work the way Charles or the Broncos had hoped. In May 2017, the Broncos signed Charles to a one-year deal after he was released by the Chiefs. However, by season's end, he was an afterthought in the offense. Charles was a healthy game-day inactive for the Broncos' final two games and finished the season with 69 carries for 296 yards.

Charles became the leading rusher in Chiefs history (7,260 yards) despite a series of knee injuries. He had four seasons with at least 40 receptions.

He tore his right ACL in October 2015 -- the second such tear of his career after tearing the left one in 2011 -- and had multiple knee surgeries in 2016. Charles was adamant throughout last season that he can be a regular contributor, despite his past knee troubles.

He has a career average of 5.4 yards per carry.

Archived