Andy Reid had seen the arm. Everyone had. You couldn't miss the effortless way Patrick Mahomes flicked the football at Texas Tech, how the ball left his hand at impossible angles, traveling farther and at a higher velocity than anyone else playing college football in 2016.

None of that mattered much to Reid. What caught his eye -- the moment he began to consider drafting a quarterback to replace his then-32-year-old Pro Bowl starter -- was how often Mahomes' seemingly wild throws found their targets.

Reid has built his two-decade romp through offensive football on a simple foundation: Quarterbacks who were accurate and who had what longtime friend and former Philadelphia Eagles executive Joe Banner calls "mental acumen." The film confirmed Mahomes had the former. Now it was time to find out about the latter.

Reid and the Kansas City Chiefs hosted Mahomes for a pre-draft workout during the spring of 2017. Like other teams, they created a mock install day to teach him a portion of their offense. Mahomes sat quietly, listening and writing furiously with a pencil, as Reid taught him a selection of plays, formations, protections and calls. When it was over, they sent him out of the room for a break and to test his retention.

When he returned, Reid flipped the scenario. Now it was time for Mahomes to "install" the offense to him. Mahomes walked to the front of the room, stood at the white board and -- in the unique Texas-twang voice that Reid has appropriately called "froggish" -- spit out the Chiefs' offense nearly verbatim from the morning session.

"The recall that he has is crazy," offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy said later. "You can go through maybe 12-15 plays during a seven-on-seven period. Then later, you sit back and ask him exactly what happened on, say, Play 3. He can recall exactly what happened, who he threw it to. He can tell you exactly what coverage they were playing, right off the top of his head. That's one of the most impressive things about him. That tells you he sees everything and absorbs it, what a lot of guys don't."

He displayed not only what the Chiefs would discover to be a photographic memory, the kind that Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner has said exists in all elite passers, but also a deep understanding of the connection of NFL concepts. In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, former Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians later compared him to the way Peyton Manning and Drew Brees sound when they talk football. Reid was sold. "You got the sense," Reid said recently in his understated way, "that Patrick was going to be OK."

"I selfishly hoped for him that he would go to the Chiefs." Kliff Kingsbury, Mahomes' coach at Texas Tech

Reid decided Mahomes was a player worth upending a plan to ride out veteran Alex Smith in the final stages of his pursuit of a Super Bowl championship. Reid, the 10th-winningest coach in NFL history with 188 career victories, was ready to take a leap of faith into the future. Mahomes fit perfectly into the hybrid West Coast/spread scheme he had developed.

"Alex is phenomenal," Reid said. "I love the guy. He was doing well. But you always want to make sure that the position is covered. Alex isn't getting any younger. He knew it. We knew it."

Unbeknownst to Reid, those who cared about Mahomes were rooting for a similar conclusion.

"I selfishly hoped for him that he would go to the Chiefs," Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury said. "Just knowing what Andy Reid does offensively, how he adjusts personnel, and how he's adapted to every quarterback he's had and gotten them playing to a high level. Ideal spot. Just a perfect storm."

The story of Mahomes' rise to the early MVP race behind the Chiefs' 5-0 start and his league-leading 86.2 Total QBR is an intersection between two powerhouses that fit together in a way that only happens in football heaven. ReidWorld is where quarterbacks go to flourish.

"When you're looking at quarterbacks in the draft, the first question is always, 'Where are they going to go?'" said ESPN analyst Louis Riddick, who worked six years alongside Reid when they were with the Eagles. "And once I know that, I'll be able to get behind what I think the guy is going to turn into. So when Andy drafted Patrick, I was like, 'Done. Done deal.' Because I knew how he was going to be handled."

Mahomes spent his youth around some of the country's top pro athletes. During the summer, he accompanied his father, retired MLB pitcher Pat Mahomes, to big league ballparks. But Patrick didn't stand in awe of the players he encountered. He absorbed, after some initial shock, the work they put in during the hours before a game. Alex Rodriguez, the best hitter in the game, would swat hundreds of balls off a tee. Mahomes' dad, who pitched for six different big league teams from 1992 to 2003, would study his notes on each opposing hitter, over and over, until he memorized them.

"No one really sees pro athletes behind the scenes," the quarterback said. "They don't know how hard they work. They don't see how you work on the basics. They couldn't possibly know. You wouldn't think that someone who hits like Alex Rodriguez needs to use a tee every day. But that's how he stayed on top of it. So that's something I got to see at a young age, and something I can apply now."

play