Patrick Peterson, Cards open to trade

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has been saying KCs been gearing up for a run in 2019.  We'll be able to draft defense as we have a fair amount of picks.  

He's as close to a sure thing as you can get rather than take your chances on an unknown draft pick.   You can almost consider the trade as Marcus Peters for Patrick Peterson.

No brainer

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Only if we can get him signed up for more than two seasons.  Still think the Chiefs best years are ahead.

Well, one thing we know is that Veech can be/is aggressive and not afraid to deal. I'm sure he's watching the same games we've been watching and thinking "damn our defense sucks".

I would give a 2nd for peterson and this years third and next years 4th for Landon Collins.

35 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Only if we can get him signed up for more than two seasons.  Still think the Chiefs best years are ahead.

I think we have proven we do have a team capable of going to the Super Bowl this year and Veach needs to act on that to an extent at the trade deadline.  But in the future we want to build the type of team that expects it and that means not straying to far from plan of building core defense through the draft. 

5 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I think we have proven we do have a team capable of going to the Super Bowl this year and Veach needs to act on that to an extent at the trade deadline.  But in the future we want to build the type of team that expects it and that means not straying to far from plan of building core defense through the draft. 

A team that gives up 40 points isn't capable of going to the Super Bowl.  If the Chiefs really know that Berry and Houston will be back for all the playoffs, then maybe trying to shore up the D for this season makes some sense.  I'm not convinced.  Don't mortgage the future when things are looking so promising with possible draft and FAs this winter.

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

A team that gives up 40 points isn't capable of going to the Super Bowl.  If the Chiefs really know that Berry and Houston will be back for all the playoffs, then maybe trying to shore up the D for this season makes some sense.  I'm not convinced.  Don't mortgage the future when things are looking so promising with possible draft and FAs this winter.

So your saying the Patriots aren’t capable of going to the Super Bowl?  Otherwise I completely agree I’m not sacrificing overall plan that has a chance to create a true consistent January contender in the future. But I am not sure who in the AFC we can’t beat right now, especially at home? 

As such I’m in favor of making a trade with the extra 2nd or later pick to find somebody that can help this team now. We’ve put ourselves in too good of a position not too.  Heck watching the 49ers tonight I still think Jimmie Ward can help us. He wouldn’t break bank.  

At our going rate of drafting defensive players is giving up any of them a bad play?    We can't seem to develop jack squat on that side of the ball so what makes any of us think they can draft 3 immediate helpers on D from the 2019 NFL draft?   Seriously?   That means we are biding our time the next two years while many of our good players get older.  Sure with Mahomes we have a large window but what happens in 3 years when we have to pay Mahomes the moon and then the pieces around him can no longer be so elite?   Im not in favor of mortgaging the future but wasting opportunities for potential down the road is dangerous.   You strike while the iron is hot.   Giving up a 2nd rounder for known elite player is wisdom.  Shoot giving up more to get him for 3 years isn't a bad decision.    We need a defense that can hold teams to around 30 not one that keeps teams under 20.   

11 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

At our going rate of drafting defensive players is giving up any of them a bad play?    We can't seem to develop jack squat on that side of the ball so what makes any of us think they can draft 3 immediate helpers on D from the 2019 NFL draft?   Seriously?   That means we are biding our time the next two years while many of our good players get older.  Sure with Mahomes we have a large window but what happens in 3 years when we have to pay Mahomes the moon and then the pieces around him can no longer be so elite?   Im not in favor of mortgaging the future but wasting opportunities for potential down the road is dangerous.   You strike while the iron is hot.   Giving up a 2nd rounder for known elite player is wisdom.  Shoot giving up more to get him for 3 years isn't a bad decision.    We need a defense that can hold teams to around 30 not one that keeps teams under 20.   

Agree

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Not sure if I can disagree. This regime has been terrible in developing defenders, makes more sense to just go out and spend that pick on proven players.

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Not sure if I can disagree. This regime has been terrible in developing defenders, makes more sense to just go out and spend that pick on proven players.

If they hire a new DC and overhaul the defensive staff then maybe they will find coaches capable of developing young players.

Veach needs to stop pretending that this years squad isn’t a Super Bowl contender and make a couple of reasonable moves before the trade deadline to shore up the defense if Berry and Sorensen aren’t coming back. It could happen this year if some moves are made. 

40 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

Veach needs to stop pretending that this years squad isn’t a Super Bowl contender and make a couple of reasonable moves before the trade deadline to shore up the defense if Berry and Sorensen aren’t coming back. It could happen this year if some moves are made. 

I’ve never thought before this year that we have the ability to beat ever team we face with ease if we play to our potential until this year and that’s with a wet paper sack defense.   Just some moderate upgrades would be huge!

On 10/15/2018 at 8:20 AM, Balto said:

I’d think Veach would disagree with you simply based on the rumors of KC was super close on Earl Thomas trade.  This to me says Veach know draft picks, even a 1st or 2nd can be underperforming or busts.  

Peterson isn’t a safety no....Peterson isn’t a LB no.....what Peterson is, is a shut down corner that can take away a wr1 without having to double him.  Thus giving relief to the safeties to focus on other areas like run stopping(helping our LBs) or coverage(helping other cbs).  Getting a guy like Peterson who I feel is even a step up from what we ever got from Peters would have a trickle down effect that’s helps the entire D!

This would probably make more sense if Old Man Sutton moved his corners around....But we all know that HE DOESN'T.

So everyone would just do what they did when Marcus Peters was here, and line up their best WR on the opposite side of Peterson.

With that being said, I would trade a 2nd for him. But his Salary is crazy expensive! I don't think we can afford him.

2 hours ago, artsy said:

This would probably make more sense if Old Man Sutton moved his corners around....But we all know that HE DOESN'T.

So everyone would just do what they did when Marcus Peters was here, and line up their best WR on the opposite side of Peterson.

With that being said, I would trade a 2nd for him. But his Salary is crazy expensive! I don't think we can afford him.

He has a nice contract and the next 2 years after this are controlled for him being under it. The dead space to cut him is nothing really and with cap space next year it is very doable.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/patrick-peterson-7720/#

Agree. A proven starter is certainly worth at least a second.  There's just too many busts in the early rounds to not take the sure thing.  My question would be whether patching up the D this season at the cost of future players is worth it.  The Chiefs seem poised to make a run for several years and I'd hate to see that wasted by trading for a player for only one season.  That's the reason for the earlier post asking for a longer term deal for Peterson.  The Chiefs need safety help more than another CB although either would be good.

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

I guess that eliminates  the Pats too. 🙄

Archived