Patrick Peterson, Cards open to trade

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

Wasn't chiefsfanforever the only one who still paid for that site, lol man that guy was unintentionally hilarious

I know we could be 2-11 and hed be trying to convince us all we were gonna slide in the back door and win a wild card spot. Plus that guys posts read like a 3 yr old had stolen his dads phone and somehow opened up the Scout app.

47 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Does that really mean much?  Team are certainly not going to admit trading a player before they make the deal. 

Trent Green was talking about this on the radio yesterday. It’s gonna create real issues in a locker room openly trying to trade a player unless the player himself is the one demanding it.  Those players are trying to grind out wins now in a violent game where your career could end at any moment.  This isn’t baseball which is why trades aren’t that prevalent.  

1 hour ago, dksww said:

Arizona HAS to be open to having a fire sale.  It's not fair to guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Peterson and their quality players.  NFL teams rarely do it though.

Its tough for guys at certain positions to come in, learn a new system and develop the chemistry to be really impactful in such a short time. 

On 10/14/2018 at 8:38 PM, liquidfriend said:

The Chiefs are getting pretty decent corner play all things considered.  Let the guys play.

Ragland is a major liability right now and I don't think it's gonna get better.

I kind of agree. Nelson is the weak link right now at corner with his constant holding and the refs flagging him for it. The D line is good. OLB play has been good. The Chiefs ILB's have not been good. They've been horrible and can't stop the run. The defense is very susceptible to given up big plays between the tackles and then when the defense starts shifting to focus on that they give up big plays everywhere else as the offenses adjust. Part of me also blames Sutton's scheme because Hitchens was a baller for the Cowboys. He has NOT resembled that same player in KC. Ragland's best days last year were as a part time player mixing it up with DJ. I wonder if the Chiefs need another ILB they could rotate with Ragland like they did last season to maximize his play.

Not sure how trading for Peterson will actually help this defense, and by this defense I am speaking specifically about the 2018 Chiefs defensive woes. Teams are still going to be able to run the ball up the middle for 5 plus yards at will. Best defense for opposing teams is to keep their offense on the field and keep the Chiefs offense off the field. Peterson would be an upgrade to the CB position without a doubt, just don't see how it makes the defense as a whole better.

2 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

I kind of agree. Nelson is the weak link right now at corner with his constant holding and the refs flagging him for it. The D line is good. OLB play has been good. The Chiefs ILB's have not been good. They've been horrible and can't stop the run. The defense is very susceptible to given up big plays between the tackles and then when the defense starts shifting to focus on that they give up big plays everywhere else as the offenses adjust. Part of me also blames Sutton's scheme because Hitchens was a baller for the Cowboys. He has NOT resembled that same player in KC. Ragland's best days last year were as a part time player mixing it up with DJ. I wonder if the Chiefs need another ILB they could rotate with Ragland like they did last season to maximize his play.

Not sure how trading for Peterson will actually help this defense, and by this defense I am speaking specifically about the 2018 Chiefs defensive woes. Teams are still going to be able to run the ball up the middle for 5 plus yards at will. Best defense for opposing teams is to keep their offense on the field and keep the Chiefs offense off the field. Peterson would be an upgrade to the CB position without a doubt, just don't see how it makes the defense as a whole better.

Patrick Peterson would help any defense.  He is the best corner in the league.

I agree about the dline doing their job.  The 3-4 is designed for the lineman to take on the blocks so that the linebackers can make the plays.  Our linebackers suck and whiff on more tackles than Deion Sanders.

42 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I agree about the dline doing their job.  The 3-4 is designed for the lineman to take on the blocks so that the linebackers can make the plays.  Our linebackers suck and whiff on more tackles than Deion Sanders.

How would Peterson improve that? That is my point. Peterson is an upgrade to the Chiefs secondary, I have no doubt about that, but Peterson doesn't play ILB in a 3-4 defense. 

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

The Chiefs aren't getting enough from the 0 tech to really make that front hum, but the DL group is making things happen.  The issue is at ILB and so far from what I see when I see film from up top, it's a combination of god awful play by our terrible linebackers and outright stupid assignments from werthers originals.

While DJ has lost many steps, I think he was smart enough to compensate for bobs stupid ass assignments here and there and now things are super noticeable with DJ gone.

How it helps is creating better coverage on the back end which allows more help from safeties closer to the line of scrimmage and hopefully not putting those guys in tough coverage situations. Having a guy shut down half the field will help any defense.  The run defense sucks but there isn’t a team capable of beating us by merely running the ball.  NE did it in chunks and still had to have 400 yards passing by Brady to beat us. And that last drive was through the air.  He helps and would help our entire defense including the run def.

Adding a pro bowl caliber CB to a secondary that barley has legit starters makes a huge difference. It can free up the safeties to focus on helping Scandrick and Nelson and forget about Peterson’s guy. It can force the QB to hold the ball longer helping the rushers. He is a good tackler that can help the run support. You can with stand a CB injury a little better. 

14 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

How it helps is creating better coverage on the back end which allows more help from safeties closer to the line of scrimmage and hopefully not putting those guys in tough coverage situations. Having a guy shut down half the field will help any defense.  The run defense sucks but there isn’t a team capable of beating us by merely running the ball.  NE did it in chunks and still had to have 400 yards passing by Brady to beat us. And that last drive was through the air.  He helps and would help our entire defense including the run def.

I get that. I really do, but I still disagree. The Chiefs had Marcus Peters doing the exact same thing and the Chiefs run defense still sucked in 2017 because their ILBs were not good enough outside of DJ/Ragland combo late in the season. In a league that favors offenses, it going to become harder and harder to both stop the run and stop the pass. If the Chiefs use the approach you stated above the safeties will provide help to the LB's. But then all teams have to do is run plays that suck that safety into the box, and then challenge the CB's without help from the safety. Also, the Cardinals who have Peterson have given up over 1,000 yards on the ground in 6 games. He isn't helping their run defense in Arizona, why would it make a difference here?

I do not think 1 single player is going to fix this defense from the DB group, except maybe a safety with hell of a lot of range like Eric Berry.  It's needs these ILB to do a better job. The only way I think Peterson makes sense to bring in, is if the Chiefs decide they are rarely going to run a 2 ILB scheme and run more nickle and dime packages and basically give up on the run defense. Sell out for the best damn pass defense you can get. But then it's going to take more than bringing in Peterson because you have to have a pass rush that can get there without running  blitzes often. The Chiefs do not have that at this time. 

For the 2018 season, the 2 games that teams gave the Chiefs their biggest chances at actually losing the Chiefs defense also gave up their worst games as a run stopping defense. They gave up 159 yards rushing to Denver and it wasn't until the 4th quarter that the Chiefs took the lead for good and scored the most points in a single quarter that game. Against the Patriots they gave up 173 yards on the ground. The Chiefs didn't take their first lead of the game until the 4th quarter. All 4 other games the Chiefs had the lead from the 1st quarter and on. The Chiefs have giving up a total of 767 yards on the ground. Doing the math, during the 4 games the Chiefs were never threatened to lose, their defense gave up on average 108 yards per game. 

The benefit for a team to get yards on the ground is to keep high scoring offenses off the field. The goal is to hope your defense gets a stop or two while limiting the number of times the opposing offense is on the field. Having a solid run defenses is important when playing against the Chiefs. 99% of teams are not going to win a shoot out to Patrick Mahomes. Tom Brady did it, and that's because he's the GOAT.

16 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Adding a pro bowl caliber CB to a secondary that barley has legit starters makes a huge difference. It can free up the safeties to focus on helping Scandrick and Nelson and forget about Peterson’s guy. It can force the QB to hold the ball longer helping the rushers. He is a good tackler that can help the run support. You can with stand a CB injury a little better. 

Peterson will help make the Chiefs pass defense better for sure. Cardinals pass defense hasn't given up the yards like the Chiefs, but the Chiefs current pass defense isn't as bad as the yards make it look. Remember, teams are throwing the ball a lot more so they are generally going to have more yards. With that said, I'm going to use horrible box score stats to bring up another point. The teams thus far that the Chiefs have played, their QB's have an average QB rating of 91 against the Chiefs defense. The teams thus far that the Cardinals have played, their QB's have an average QB rating of 92.1 against the Cardinals defense. So how much will he improve the pass defense? The Chiefs have better overall corners than the Cardinals so one would think it should be significant improvement. But, how much help considering opposing QB's have a higher QB rating facing the Cardinals and the Chiefs have only given up 2 more passing TD's then the Cardinals defense? I think the Chiefs would benefit from a turnover machine at CB more so then just a great coverage player. That's where I thinkk he would have a big impact.

I'll gladly give up a 2nd and a future 3rd for a guy who we know can play and excels. Or we can spend our 2nd on developmental guys who've never played the position drafted for like the last 2 years. I'll take the 28 year old pro bowler every single time and franchise him year 3 and 4 when his contract is up if needed .

Elite CB is hard to find through the draft and you can never have enough CB. He and Fuller will be a great pair. 

Plus, the way we play teams will have to abandon the run to keep up with  Mahomes. So a CB is always going to be a need as long as PM is a chief...for life.

49 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I am kinda shocked the Chiefs haven't kicked the tires on Lardarious Webb

If we are going to take on a 6th corner (our 4-5 guys are both rookies), its probably not going to be another quickly fading 30 something like we have with Scandrick. I'll add our 5 corners are 22, 22, 23, 25 and 31.

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

Peterson makes this defense instantly better. Smh...

Chiefs running defense is 28th. Cards are 32nd. Chiefs pass defense is 32nd. Cards pass D is 23rd. The Cards D has giving up more points than the Chiefs D. 

The Chiefs are NOT 1 CB away from being a good defense. They need help at multiple positions. But you can shake your head all you want, the Cards defense with Peterson doesn't impress me. Its a team sport and the Chiefs have multiple holes. Trading away draft picks for a 28 year old CB isn't going to solve the whole defenses problems in my opinion. He's a great CB, but he's not an entire defense.

45 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

Chiefs running defense is 28th. Cards are 32nd. Chiefs pass defense is 32nd. Cards pass D is 23rd. The Cards D has giving up more points than the Chiefs D. 

The Chiefs are NOT 1 CB away from being a good defense. They need help at multiple positions. But you can shake your head all you want, the Cards defense with Peterson doesn't impress me. Its a team sport and the Chiefs have multiple holes. Trading away draft picks for a 28 year old CB isn't going to solve the whole defenses problems in my opinion. He's a great CB, but he's not an entire defense.

He’s good for saving 5-7 points a game. He covers so pass rush can arrive. He’s proven. Draft picks are overrated.

Archived