Patrick Peterson, Cards open to trade

26 minutes ago, Calichief said:

He’s good for saving 5-7 points a game. He covers so pass rush can arrive. He’s proven. Draft picks are overrated.

I can agree to an extent that draft picks are overrated. It depends on your scouts and GM. Veach has been both good and bad. Verdict won't be out for a few years yet.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

Chiefs running defense is 28th. Cards are 32nd. Chiefs pass defense is 32nd. Cards pass D is 23rd. The Cards D has giving up more points than the Chiefs D. 

The Chiefs are NOT 1 CB away from being a good defense. They need help at multiple positions. But you can shake your head all you want, the Cards defense with Peterson doesn't impress me. Its a team sport and the Chiefs have multiple holes. Trading away draft picks for a 28 year old CB isn't going to solve the whole defenses problems in my opinion. He's a great CB, but he's not an entire defense.

But that draft pick will?  At the end of the day we need multiple players and probably a new DC.  I fail to see how a draft pick will help us as much in te next 3 years as much as a 28 year all pro CB.   But you are right we should hope our luck all of a sudden changes in regards to drafting DBs.  

2 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I do agree that we are not one player away. He could conceivably elevate us from horrific to bad.

I don't know about that. A shutdown corner would mean the QB has to hang on to the ball a little longer which would allow the pass rushers time to get to the QB. A stud pass rusher could force the QB to make poor decisions. A monster in the middle could force teams to be one dimensional.

You never know what one person could do for a D.

1 hour ago, Chiefsfan1963 said:

I don't know about that. A shutdown corner would mean the QB has to hang on to the ball a little longer which would allow the pass rushers time to get to the QB. A stud pass rusher could force the QB to make poor decisions. A monster in the middle could force teams to be one dimensional.

You never know what one person could do for a D.

This! He’s make a huge difference 

Yeah, we aren't one player away on D, but we sure as hell could use a great CB regardless. Doesn't make is worse and only makes us better. Plus there no guarantee whoever we draft with that pick does anything useful. You rather have a proven Peterson or draft another Kpass we are still waiting on?  

Earl Thomas was a unique situation so there could have really been something to that but otherwise a big splash player seems VERY unlikely. Can’t remember what source I read today but it basically said as much.  They fully expect Sorenson and Berry back.  

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Honestly at this point, I don't see any reason to trade for Defensive players.  I can't help but think that werthers would just misuse whoever they picked up anyhow.

I'd rather make a trade for a big piece to add onto the Offense or just hang onto what we've got.

At this point, I agree. He doesn’t play to their strengths.  Fuller is ok outside, but he needs to be playing the slot where he excels.  Sutton has ruined Hitchens turning him into a coverage linebacker.  Dropping the EDGE guys into coverage, also.

Until Reid dumps him, we are stuck with his scheme.  

I would agree that a CB doesn't have as much contribution value as a Safety or a LB for us right now but sure is a plus. My goal would be to upgrade the more urgent positions but wouldn't rule a guy like Peterson out. Keep in mind that we have only 1 decent CB under contract for 2019 so it's a need we have to fix with the draft/FA anyway. If the price is right I would love to add Peterson and not worry about the position for the next 3-4 years. 

On 10/19/2018 at 5:17 PM, Mloe68 said:

If we are going to take on a 6th corner (our 4-5 guys are both rookies), its probably not going to be another quickly fading 30 something like we have with Scandrick. I'll add our 5 corners are 22, 22, 23, 25 and 31.

Age shouldn't be the focus. 

Playing ability should be.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Age shouldn't be the focus. 

Playing ability should be.

Right now Webb would be a backup dime guy which clearly isn’t worth dumping a talented but raw rookie at three times the price for a veteran minimum. 

Archived