Patrick Peterson, Cards open to trade

Patrick Peterson wants out of Cardinals organization

ADAM SCHEFTER
ESPN Senior Writer
4:31 PM ET2 Minute Read
All-Pro CB Peterson asks for trade from Cardinals
All-Pro CB Peterson asks for trade from CardinalsRyan Clark and Tim Hasselbeck discuss if the Arizona Cardinals will actually trade Patrick Peterson and how it will impact the locker room.
Arizona Cardinals All-Pro cornerback Patrick Peterson has asked to be traded by the Oct. 30 trade deadline, league sources told ESPN.

Peterson feels as if the situation is deteriorating and continues to reaffirm to others that he "desperately" wants out, a source said. The Cardinals continue to insist that they won't trade him, but Peterson keeps asking.

"We're not trading Patrick," Cardinals coach Steve Wilks said Monday. "That's out of the question."

Wilks said he would talk to Peterson later Monday, but to this point Wilks said that Peterson "hasn't expressed to me" a desire to be traded.

Wilks was asked how he will handle the situation.

"No. 1, I'm not going to indulge in speculation," he said. "I'm going to sit down and talk to Patrick. Patrick is a captain. He's well respected around here. He's well respected throughout the league. Yes, are we in a difficult situation? Yeah, we are. 1-6. Nobody feels great about where we are right now. It's about trying to turn the corner and make things happen so we can make sure that we get this thing on track. Starting with myself and everybody else in that locker room. That's what we need to be talking about."

Peterson has been named a first-team All-Pro three times and a Pro Bowler seven times. But the Cardinals are 1-6 and have not made the playoffs since 2015.

Peterson is in the midst of a five-year, $70 million contract and won't become an unrestricted free agent until 2021.

ESPN's Josh Weinfuss contributed to this report

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 hours ago, dksww said:

Possibly, but we might as well do what the 2015 Royals did and be aggressive to help out even more.

Draft picks are a roll of the dice, sure having a lot of them is nice, but it doesn't guarantee you'll get a player even close to that of Peterson.

Yes the draft is a roll of the dice BUT the Chiefs round 1 through 3 have been good since 2013. The Chiefs have drafted Kelce, Hunt, Mahomes, Fisher, Dee Ford, Marcus Peters, Chris Jones, Kniles Davis, Steve Nelson, Mitch Morse, Chris Conley...etc. They had like 12 out of 17 players that I counted earlier that played a significant role at one point or another. 12 out of 17 has to be better than league average. If you believe in Reid/Veach then you have to trust that their draft picks can land a 5-10 year player. 5-10 years is better than a 2 year player.

5 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

Yes the draft is a roll of the dice BUT the Chiefs round 1 through 3 have been good since 2013. The Chiefs have drafted Kelce, Hunt, Mahomes, Fisher, Dee Ford, Marcus Peters, Chris Jones, Kniles Davis, Steve Nelson, Mitch Morse, Chris Conley...etc. They had like 12 out of 17 players that I counted earlier that played a significant role at one point or another. 12 out of 17 has to be better than league average. If you believe in Reid/Veach then you have to trust that their draft picks can land a 5-10 year player. 5-10 years is better than a 2 year player.

I do, but you have a chance to win something big right now.  This team doesn't need to wait on the yields of next year's draft to hope for a Super Bowl in 2-3 years.

Any kind of help from the defense just makes them team even more impossible to beat than they are now.  We saw it's possible last night.

You could be looking at adding 2 All-Pros in Berry and Peterson and another Pro Bowler in Houston.  

I really hope the Chiefs are considering making the Cardinals an offer for Peterson.

1 minute ago, dksww said:

I do, but you have a chance to win something big right now.  This team doesn't need to wait on the yields of next year's draft to hope for a Super Bowl in 2-3 years.

Any kind of help from the defense just makes them team even more impossible to beat than they are now.

You could be looking at adding 2 All-Pros in Berry and Peterson and another Pro Bowler in Houston.  

I really hope the Chiefs are considering making the Cardinals an offer for Peterson.

I would be happy if they traded for him. BUT I honestly don't think trading away future picks is necessary. I think this team can win without him in the playoffs. BUT I wouldn't be upset if they traded for him.

38 minutes ago, dksww said:

Any kind of help from the defense just makes them team even more impossible to beat than they are now.  We saw it's possible last night.

Im sure they are, but the team that gets him will be the team that gives up a first rounder. 

The corners have been decent without Peterson.  But the way I see it is Peterson takes them up 2 notches... all of a sudden Fuller is your second corner and that's a pretty good duo.  The nickel and dime improves as well.  With the leads we play with, tell me you wouldn't love to have Peterson roaming the secondary when teams are trying to pass to catch up.  

Personally I'm not that worried about the run D.  Mahomes and Gang are a great run D as they get big leads and scare teams out of running it.  Hell we've already seen teams alter their gameplan from the start; they feel they've got to pass it to keep up.

Focus on the pass D.  That's the most bang for our buck.  I'd give a 1st for Peterson if it took that. It's going to practically be a 2nd rounder anyways.

Just now, xen said:

The corners have been decent without Peterson.  But the way I see it is Peterson takes them up 2 notches... all of a sudden Fuller is your second corner and that's a pretty good duo.  The nickel and dime improves as well.  With the leads we play with, tell me you wouldn't love to have Peterson roaming the secondary when teams are trying to pass to catch up.  

Personally I'm not that worried about the run D.  Mahomes and Gang are a great run D as they get big leads and scare teams out of running it.  Hell we've already seen teams alter their gameplan from the start; they feel they've got to pass it to keep up.

Focus on the pass D.  That's the most bang for our buck.  I'd give a 1st for Peterson if it took that. It's going to practically be a 2nd rounder anyways.

What about throwing Fuller back down to slot?

2 minutes ago, Balto said:

Saw on Twitter.....99% rumor.....that Cards want two 1st rounders.

Bet it ends up a 1st and 3rd.  Amari Cooper got a 1st and while not nearly the player but he is also younger and on a much cheaper contract this year so easier to squeeze him in.

Ironically in 2019 Cooper is more expensive than Peterson with the 5th year option. 

3 hours ago, Balto said:

The Patriots are showing interest in trading for Patrick Peterson, according to Peterson through his cousin, CBS Sports' Bryant McFadden. Got all that? nesn.com/?p=887962 pic.twitter.com/pTSNkP2…
DAMMIT

I’d be fu(king pissed if they got Gordon & Peterson through FA in the same year.  Hell, I’d be willing to break the bank to obtain Peterson just so the Patriots could not get him.  Additionally, I think he could immensely improve our D & our shot at making the SB.

PS:  I completely agree with the point of your earlier post stating that our 1st round pick is closer to a 2nd round pick because of our position in the draft.

2 hours ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

I’d be fu(king pissed if they got Gordon & Peterson through FA in the same year.  Hell, I’d be willing to break the bank to obtain Peterson just so the Patriots could not get him.  Additionally, I think he could immensely improve our D & our shot at making the SB.

PS:  I completely agree with the point of your earlier post stating that our 1st round pick is closer to a 2nd round pick because of our position in the draft.

The Patriots are in the swan song of that organization.  BB is amazing but without that qb he would struggle to win 10 games a year.  Gronk isn't getting any younger and they have some decent running backs but you gotta have an elite qb these days.   Brady will eventually wear down.   They have this year and next at a high level and then their reign comes crashing down hard!    Being a dynasty is part good part intimidation and without Brady the won't be intimidating anyone any longer.    And if they trade a 1st for Peterson thats one less chance they get to draft his replacement.  

11 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

The Chiefs are 6-1 without him and will be getting players back on Defense.  They can survive without him.

Well an injury to a CB would leave us shorthanded. We are very thin at the position. If this team will go to the SB this year we have to go through Brady when it matters and definitely could use help in that area. 

I'm against giving up a 1st as I feel it's too much, might as well give up a 2nd packaged with another pick but if the price is right he would help us a lot. 

12 hours ago, DieHard said:

Dang. I like the sound of that. He will probably be traded somewhere then. I vote to us. 

Saw Eric Reid was fighting with his own team mate before the game Sunday. Glad we didn’t get that headache.

Actually he went after Malcom Jenkins of the Eagles thinking he sold them out on the social injustice/ kneeling crapola

Patriots are interesting cause I couldn't find a time when under BB they have given up a first for any player.  A second a couple times but never a first.  They usually are a buy low sell high.  

For them to go outside of what they normally do it makes me wonder if that move isn't designed with KC in mind. One to help them in a playoff meeting with us and 2 to keep him away from us. 

Archived