Patrick Peterson, Cards open to trade

11 hours ago, xen said:

The corners have been decent without Peterson.  But the way I see it is Peterson takes them up 2 notches... all of a sudden Fuller is your second corner and that's a pretty good duo.  The nickel and dime improves as well.  With the leads we play with, tell me you wouldn't love to have Peterson roaming the secondary when teams are trying to pass to catch up.  

Personally I'm not that worried about the run D.  Mahomes and Gang are a great run D as they get big leads and scare teams out of running it.  Hell we've already seen teams alter their gameplan from the start; they feel they've got to pass it to keep up.

Focus on the pass D.  That's the most bang for our buck.  I'd give a 1st for Peterson if it took that. It's going to practically be a 2nd rounder anyways.

Was listening to Sirius NFL radio yesterday and some schmo Raider fan called in to profess his belief that a "thunder and lightening" running game approach is the way to beat the Chiefs. Charlie Weis said no way, that if he were a coach against the Chiefs he would assume you'd have to score a bunch of points to win, so going balls out would be his approach. Basically what you said about scaring teams out of running the ball as a general game plan. 

However, in the playoffs - in adverse weather - this team may have to stop the run to win a game. Houston coming back along with improvement from the youngsters (Berry coming back wouldn't hurt) may be enough to get it done. I like what I saw of Nadi and O'Daniel Sunday night. 

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

I don't know, I don't want to do it.  Let's just keep our picks, use them on D and we can also get some FA's to come in during the off season.  Hopefully Houston/Berry can adjust their contracts to give us more $ for the better of the team.

We already have the cash. Over 40 million according to overthecap. Ragland looked like we would have to pay him soon but turned out to be a "not so much" guy. We also still can and probably will save money with guys like Sorensen, X Williams (if Nnadi is the guy), or Ragland the ILB works out different than expected. We also don't have to pay anyone until 2020 and the first year will probably have little to no hit. 

Right now we are greatly situated to make a push for the SB. Seahawks used the similar approach when Wilson was on his rookie deal and brought in key FAs to win the big one. IMO we have a window of opportunity to spend money until Mahomes' rookie deal runs out and wouldn't mind spending picks for short term title push. 

57 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

I don't know, I don't want to do it.  Let's just keep our picks, use them on D and we can also get some FA's to come in during the off season.  Hopefully Houston/Berry can adjust their contracts to give us more $ for the better of the team.

I've looked at the potential 2019 free agent class and it's pretty underwhelming at CB.  FWIW, it's loaded with Safties and OLB pass rushers.

Having Peterson lock down one side of the defense would do wonders for a defense that's improving and getting healthy.

24 minutes ago, sith13 said:

We already have the cash. Over 40 million according to overthecap. Ragland looked like we would have to pay him soon but turned out to be a "not so much" guy. We also still can and probably will save money with guys like Sorensen, X Williams (if Nnadi is the guy), or Ragland the ILB works out different than expected. We also don't have to pay anyone until 2020 and the first year will probably have little to no hit. 

Right now we are greatly situated to make a push for the SB. Seahawks used the similar approach when Wilson was on his rookie deal and brought in key FAs to win the big one. IMO we have a window of opportunity to spend money until Mahomes' rookie deal runs out and wouldn't mind spending picks for short term title push. 

20 minutes ago, dksww said:

I've looked at the potential 2019 free agent class and it's pretty underwhelming at CB.  FWIW, it's loaded with Safties and OLB pass rushers.

Having Peterson lock down one side of the defense would do wonders for a defense that's improving and getting healthy.

You all have convinced me, now it better happen if I get my hopes up!

I actually do remember a stat from before the last game and it still fit.  It said something about other teams WR1's are killing us but the WR2's have been completely shut down.  Peterson would fix that for sure...

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/10/23/18013856/kareem-hunt-has-forced-more-missed-tackles-than-any-other-running-back-says-pff

• No Chiefs player performed better than cornerback Steve Nelson on Sunday night. Nelson was targeted in coverage six times and only allowed two receptions for 33 yards, while also adding two pass breakups. After letting up 103 yards in coverage in Week 1, Nelson has only allowed 264 yards over the past six games (44 yards per game), while being targeted 42 times during that span.

Prior to the Bengals game there was the below link as well.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/10/17/17989060/orlando-scandrick-hasnt-allowed-a-touchdown-in-five-games-says-pff

Scacndrick allowed five receptions on seven targets for just 42 yards. After being responsible for two touchdowns in Week 1, Scandrick has not allowed a touchdown in coverage the past five games. Quarterbacks have a 65.0 Passer Rating when throwing at Scandrick in coverage, 13th best among qualifying cornerbacks in the NFL.

Scandrick often takes the brunt of criticism on the airwaves and on social media, but perhaps he is performing better than he gets credit for.

And K. Fuller has been good too.  The Chiefs CB's are playing well. The Chiefs don't need to spend a draft pick from the 1st round through the 3rd round on a 29 year old player. 

2 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Patriots are interesting cause I couldn't find a time when under BB they have given up a first for any player.  A second a couple times but never a first.  They usually are a buy low sell high.  

For them to go outside of what they normally do it makes me wonder if that move isn't designed with KC in mind. One to help them in a playoff meeting with us and 2 to keep him away from us. 

Were you living under a rock when they gave up a 1st for Cooks a year ago?

1 hour ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

And K. Fuller has been good too.  The Chiefs CB's are playing well. The Chiefs don't need to spend a draft pick from the 1st round through the 3rd round on a 29 year old player. 

Alex Smith was playing well...So I guess we should not of traded up for Mahomes!

Gaining Peterson would cause a trickle down effect!  Peterson on the WR1 while now our other CBs that have been doing better can focus on WR2 and so on...This will also take pressure off our safeties and either allow them to double a teams WR2, TEs, roam, help LBs on run stopping and hell even send a secondary blitz or two!  SOOO many options will be added for Sutton if Peterson becomes a Chief.  Don't get me started IF(big IF) Berry ever comes back at full strength this season!!!!   

Regardless...KC was reported to be sending a 2nd to Seattle for Earl Thomas for a half year rental to go all out for a Super Bowl..You don't think they would send a 1st+more for a top 3 CB in the NFL that you will have for 3 years on a very very cheap contract for his services?  I'm honestly surprised that Peterson isn't a Chief yet!

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Sylvester Stallone.  Over the Top.  The greatest movie of all time.  It's criminal how it was shunned by the Academy. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Well that and Lone Wolf McQuade. 

Never saw either one of them....thanks for the explanation....

Archived