Fire Sutton thread - week 6

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Besides spending very few picks on defense I also haven't seen any coaching. Pretty much every player enters the league at a certain level and that ends up being their ceiling. Some progress very little while others don't at all. 

They have spent almost the same as offensive picks and defensicenpicks per chiefsfan response to me above....

Since 2013, Reid and Suttons arrival, they have spent 20 picks on the offense and 19 on the defense.

13 of the 20 offensive players are still on the roster, with 2 being first round picks. One was picked this year.

11 of the 19 defensive players are still on the roster, with 1 being a first round pick. Also, 5 of the 11 were picked this year. Therefore, prior to this year only 6 of the 11 draft picks were still on the team.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

They have spent almost the same as offensive picks and defensicenpicks per chiefsfan response to me above....

Since 2013, Reid and Suttons arrival, they have spent 20 picks on the offense and 19 on the defense.

13 of the 20 offensive players are still on the roster, with 2 being first round picks. One was picked this year.

11 of the 19 defensive players are still on the roster, with 1 being a first round pick. Also, 5 of the 11 were picked this year. Therefore, prior to this year only 6 of the 11 draft picks were still on the team.

Numerically almost the same right now (20-14 by the end of last year) but a lot of those guys came in late rounds and as mentioned only 6 of them were still on the roster until this year's picks some of which will be leaving in a year or two as well. IMO there's a clear difference of emphasis on two sides of the ball. That being said the primary issue seems to still be coaching. Jones is no different than his rookie year, Peters was the same when he left, KPass seems to be the same guy a year later, Nelson didn't change at all, Ford progressed very little, etc. 

I think it's clear that Reid's coaching tree sucks on the defensive side and we need a clear separation of offense and defense with a real man in charge rather than a Sutton-type. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Numerically almost the same right now (20-14 by the end of last year) but a lot of those guys came in late rounds and as mentioned only 6 of them were still on the roster until this year's picks some of which will be leaving in a year or two as well. IMO there's a clear difference of emphasis on two sides of the ball. That being said the primary issue seems to still be coaching. Jones is no different than his rookie year, Peters was the same when he left, KPass seems to be the same guy a year later, Nelson didn't change at all, Ford progressed very little, etc. 

I think it's clear that Reid's coaching tree sucks on the defensive side and we need a clear separation of offense and defense with a real man in charge rather than a Sutton-type. 

I agree with development part and such but 7 out those 19 picks were in the first 3 rounds. Peters, Ford, Russell and last years picks etc. We did not have 2 round round picks for Smith and a 1st last year either too which we can agree on were well spent. Thing is we hit qith late picks and such on round 3, 5 etc with Hunt, Hill and still have most of our offensive players from the first few rounds and that points to development.

18 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I agree with development part and such but 7 out those 19 picks were in the first 3 rounds. Peters, Ford, Russell and last years picks etc. We did not have 2 round round picks for Smith and a 1st last year either too which we can agree on were well spent. Thing is we hit qith late picks and such on round 3, 5 etc with Hunt, Hill and still have most of our offensive players from the first few rounds and that points to development.

Yep, we seem to be doing well with offensive picks regardless of the round. I would add guys like Ware & West to that list as well, undrafted guys developed to be competent players. On defense we seem to need day 1 starters with every pick or the players don't seem to mount to much. 

Archived