Silver Lining to Last Night's Loss

Even though I was disappointed in last night's loss, I think there are a few things I took away from the game that made me feel a lot better about things:

1) The team played very hard and left it all on the field. Offense made an incredible comeback and put a severe scare into the Pats. Defense was shorthanded and made an already porous D ripe for the killing.

2) Lost the turnover battle 2-1 and it still took a last second field goal to end the game. 

3) NE didn't have a single penalty called on them all night. They also didn't punt the entire night. They had nearly a flawless offensive performance and still only beat KC by 3. 

4) Defense played better in the second half. Thought the defensive line provided some pressure even without Houston. Last year, Brady would have had 3 days to deliver a throw without Houston in the lineup.

5) Cornerbacks are improving. Need to stop holding and trust their technique but they made some good plays.

6) The fact that the DLine and Corners are playing better, it is easier for the coaching staff/Management to identify where we are truly weak (Safety and ILB)

7) We may possibly have a couple of speedy rookie ILBs who can help immediately THIS YEAR if they are given some playing time. Sutton will have no choice but to play them if Ragland and Hitchens continue to struggle.

8  The safety position will improve if/when we get Berry and Sorenson back. Right now it is a dumptster fire but we are down to 3rd teamers. What do you expect when playing NE with guys off the street?

9) Special Teams continues to be a strength. DAT would have scored on that KO return although the kid did a good job. Colquitt and Butker are two Pro Bowlers. That will help us win a game or two each year.

10) Sutton's scheme is not working. Even if Reid is hyper-loyal, there is no denial that the inability of the defense to stop other teams will be our undoing. The only redeeming part of our defense so far is that we have been able to stop folks on 3rd down. If that part of the D becomes lessened, a move will have to be made in the offseason. 

1 minute ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I had two main issues with the game.  One, WHY did hunt not play the last half of the 2nd quarter?  TWO, WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU GIVE GRONK ONE ON ONE COVERAGE WITH A ROOKIE ON A GAME WINNING DRIVE???????????

Imagine if we now played for the fg on the 2nd int before half.....

I think they like Ware better for Pass protection.  That's my opinion, not sure if it's correct.   I think hunt should be in the game because he's way more of an offensive threat.

Unfathomable that a rookie is covering a juggernaught like gronk on the GAME WINNING play 

4 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I had two main issues with the game.  One, WHY did hunt not play the last half of the 2nd quarter?  TWO, WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU GIVE GRONK ONE ON ONE COVERAGE WITH A ROOKIE ON A GAME WINNING DRIVE???????????

19 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

12 minutes ago, hankstromboli said:

I think they like Ware better for Pass protection.  That's my opinion, not sure if it's correct.   I think hunt should be in the game because he's way more of an offensive threat.

Unfathomable that a rookie is covering a juggernaught like gronk on the GAME WINNING play 

Ya, it was frustrating but odds are Brady finds the mismatch on the field and exploits it anyway.

It took a last second FG by the AFC Champs playing in the hardest place to win in the NFL to beat us. There's a point at which we do indeed have to consider this team a contender bad defense and all. And perhaps for the first time I'm starting to think Veach should act like it at the trade deadline. Most of us would agree that our legit window probably starts next year and we don't want to do anything out of desperation in the short term that could hinder the long term prospects.

But there's got to be a deal that could satisfy both and give this team a chance in January. We've proven we belong. After all I don't see one team we can't beat in the AFC or that hasn't exposed itself in some way to have a real fault. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yeah, no way was this defense going to keep the Pats out of FG range with three minutes and three time outs remaining.

As soon as Gronk caught it I actually yelled just let him score. We would have gotten the ball back with about :50 seconds and one timeout. 

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Nah, then all the people who gave 3.5 points to bet the Pats would have won. 😀

Heck no. Our offense had the Pats defense completely on the run. I wouldn't have bet against the kid driving us for a TD and Andy going for 2 to win it. Would have been entertaining to see anyway. Then again I didn't bet on the game..

3 minutes ago, Chiefs Convert said:

We punted. 51 yards. A flag was thrown, but waived off as the gunner was blocked into the returner.

Yep. My bad we did punt once. I looked at number of Patriots returns and it said zero which makes sense. But I think my point is still valid that their defense was just as brutalized as ours. Difference really is they created two turnovers to our one. One punt, one turnover, ect was probably the difference last night.  

I'm with you Mloe....When Tyreek scored we debated the idea "Should KC go for two?" for a second or two.

Our oldest son said, "KC will still lose by a field goal with no time left on the clock..." 

"They just can not stop Brady"

Damn....

w

1 minute ago, West said:

I'm with you Mloe....When Tyreek scored we debated the idea "Should KC go for two?" for a second or two.

Our oldest son said, "KC will still lose by a field goal with no time left on the clock..." 

"They just can not stop Brady"

Damn....

w

Yup, I'm sure as soon as Brady saw Gronk maned up on the rookie with no help over the top, he audibles and took the shot.....Just a stupid ass defensive play call.

4 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Not a rookie. He was signed after the Bengals waived him less than 2 weeks ago. But yeah.. thin at the safety position 

Watched the game again today.   I really did not think Scandrick had a bad game.   I felt like Bellachek was going to tie up Kelce and I was hoping that Sammy Watkins would pick up the slack.  It did not happen.   Whether Mahomes didn't see him in his progressions,  or for whatever other reason,   Sammy only had two catches.   Disappointed.

Archived