Chiefs 5-1 In Control of AFC? Your prediction?

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Where in my post did I say anything about being ok with losing in the playoffs?

Clearly last years horrific defense and second half collapse in the playoff game wasnt enough to open Reids eyes regarding Sutton. I think losing in the playoffs again and watching our defense let us down, just might be enough for Reid to let him go.

Which is what I am PREDICTING will happen. This thread isnt titled "how do you prefer this season turns out?".

The only thing fucked up I see here are your skills of interpretation.

I guess when you say "Exactly what needs to happen" meant nothing. So be it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going with what I told the guys at work but I was counting a win against the Patriots. Everyone on here knows I'm a homer. My prediction was 15-1 or 14-2 after I seen Mahomes in the 1st game, now I'm going with 14-2, we lose the last game of the season resting our starters for the playoffs unless the Patriots are 14-2 in week 16 then we play the last game to get home field through out the playoffs ending with 15-1. AFC West Champions, AFC Champions and Superbowl Champions!! "It's SHOWTIME"!!

6 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Chiefs have the fourth-easiest remaining strength of schedule

It's a weird remaining schedule.  You have 6 games against bunch of dogs, but then you have 4 games against the Rams, Bengals, Chargers and Ravens that are all in the top 10 power rankings.  I would say we have more "difficult" games remaining than the Pats, but a lower overall opponent winning percentage because of the Browns, Cards and Raiders games.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

It's a weird remaining schedule.  You have 6 games against bunch of dogs, but then you have 4 games against the Rams, Bengals, Chargers and Ravens that are all in the top 10 power rankings.  I would say we have more "difficult" games remaining than the Pats, but a lower overall opponent winning percentage because of the Browns, Cards and Raiders games.

Yes it is...you have played 3 in the top 10 so far with 4 more left against other top 10 ( at this point) with the rest being against some dogs (32 31 etc....)

11 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Yes it is...you have played 3 in the top 10 so far with 4 more left against other top 10 ( at this point) with the rest being against some dogs (32 31 etc....)

It begs the question as to what is an easier schedule.  A bunch of .500 teams or half 4-12 teams and half 12-4 teams. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Our offense is too good to get worse than a split in those four tough games. So I'll just go with 2-2 in those. There will be a few games we can rattle QB as we did vs Jax but for the most part we rely on our offense to basically overwhelm people and put the other teams offense on its heels. Bad weather, bad day by Mahomes or just a few turnovers makes us more succeptable than most top contenders to lose to the bottom tier in my opinion.

And yet the Pats lost in Detroit, the Vikings lost to the Bills, the Ravens lost to the Browns so maybe thats not true.  11-5 feels like it fits a team with great offense and special teams and a bad defense. Maybe most important to our season is how this injury situation shakes out. I'd rather play bottom feeders and contenders rather than .500 types every game with the type of team we have though personally. 

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

11-5 feels like it fits a team with great offense and special teams and a bad defense.

Maybe at the start of the season that would make sense.  But not sitting at 5-1 with the easy part of the schedule in front of us.  We'd have to play pretty close to .500 with 6 games remaining against the Raiders, Cards, Seahawks, Browns and Broncos.  11-5 is certainly possible, but pretty pessimistic at this point. 

4 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Maybe at the start of the season that would make sense.  But not sitting at 5-1 with the easy part of the schedule in front of us.  We'd have to play pretty close to .500 with 6 games remaining against the Raiders, Cards, Seahawks, Browns and Broncos.  11-5 is certainly possible, but pretty pessimistic at this point. 

I agree. I just think offensive football is harder to sustain as the weather gets worse and defenses actually learn to tackle again after not doing it for 8 months. Id call that Seattle game the difference between 12-4 and 11-5. And maybe Im just underselling a team thats proven it can play with anyone anywhere unlike any Chiefs team I can remember.

But its hard for me to feel comfortable without a competent defense. That DVOA numbers is really compelling to me because it holds up historically. Strides have to be made on defense, some way for me to think about the 1 or 2 seed. This weeks game against against a Bengals team that has legit players on both sides of the ball will be pretty telling. 

23 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I just think offensive football is harder to sustain as the weather gets worse and defenses actually learn to tackle again after not doing it for 8 months. 

While that makes sense intuitively, I don't think it necessarily true in real life.  In December last year, we averaged 29 points a game in three home games and 2 away.  Those away games were the coldest game in Denver history and New York Jets.  The year before we put up 28 per over the last 5 games. 

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

While that makes sense intuitively, I don't think it necessarily true in real life.  In December last year, we averaged 29 points a game in three home games and 2 away.  Those away games were the coldest game in Denver history and New York Jets.  The year before we put up 28 per over the last 5 games. 

Good point. I think maybe I should preface its wind, rain, sleet or snow that impacts the game more than cold (although extreme cold such as near zero can matter). And thats all more likely as you move closer to winter. 

Those two games at Arrowhead in December last year against the Chargers and Raiders were really helped by some dominating defense. So maybe we can play in the cold but the California teams can't.  Of course Kareem had two big games and there's no reason to believe he can't do that again.

That game in Denver in 2016 you are talking about was really a defensive struggle as we barely reached 300 total yards and scored a third of our points on special teams and defense. And remember we also lost a defensive struggle to Tennessee at Arrowhead in subartic conditions and scored only 14 total offensive points vs Oakland in December as well.

How much of that was on Alex Smith is certainly a legit question. Through all my rambling I'd say your generally right though. 

Really gotta consider matchups as well. We obviously are built to win AFC West games and sometimes those physical ground and pound teams give us some real problems because of it. We lost to a mediocre Tennessee team both of the last two years as an example. Meanwhile our style matches up well with New England and their finesse style. So who do we not matchup well with that could bite us at the wrong time might help in determining record?

Also matchups change so much week to week with injuries. For instance Geno Atkins is an absolute beast playing against a little used backup if Morse can't come back. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Really gotta consider matchups as well. We obviously are built to win AFC West games and sometimes those physical ground and pound teams give us some real problems because of it. We lost to a mediocre Tennessee team both of the last two years as an example. Meanwhile our style matches up well with New England and their finesse style. So who do we not matchup well with that could bite us at the wrong time might help in determining record?

Also matchups change so much week to week with injuries. For instance Geno Atkins is an absolute beast playing against a little used backup if Morse can't come back. 

Almost all the AFC North teams with exception of the Steelers- they have become NE lite IMO....more finesse, less defense....and you already beat them in their house albeit in almost perfect weather.

Archived